• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Brain Age selling? Anecdotal evidence, ahoy!

donny2112

In the spirit of the early Nintendogs sales reports ...

My local Best Buy said they got 15 in yesterday and sold out in three hours. They specifically mentioned that they had underestimated demand for this game and put in a subsequent order for 38. BestBuy.com had it for pre-order yesterday and today says "Backordered. Usually leaves our warehouse within 1-2 weeks."

Amazon.com had Brain Age at #7 a couple of days ago, and it is now at #1 ahead of FFXI and KH2.

Any other reports of how Brain Age is selling locally?

P.S. I know there is an Official Brain Age thread, but it is mostly discussing individuals' Brain Age and their progression in the training. I'm curious to see how it is selling from personal accounts. Thanks!

People who said it would sell like crap in NA are stupid.

As if tamagotchi, Pokemon, and Nintendogs were not good enough pieces of evidence to use inductive reasoning.

I picked it up yesterday at the local Gamestop. While I was there I asked how well it was selling and they told me a few people picked up copies, but nothing exceptional.

But...isn't that exactly how it started in Japan? Solid....then spactacular.

Either way, BT is the first game in a long time that I actually left work mid-day to pick up. Already, my two roommates have been stealing it from me. :)

Link316

Banned
there was never any doubt that Nintendo fans would pick this up, the question is whether its selling to nongamers

donny2112

Tiger said:
I love anecdotal evidence sales threads!

:|

In the absence of press releases or NPD figures, it's all we have. Since the few sources I have seen related to sales for the game (see first post) indicate very good sales, I am curious as to what others are seeing.

ghibli99

Word of mouth here at work is pushing units as we speak. 5 friends of mine yesterday went out at lunch to buy the game after trying it out on my DS, and a few more today have been sold on the idea. Glad to hear that it seems to be doing well. I'm sure it's one of those titles that will sell consistently for quite a long time.

Unison

EB Games says:

FFXI: Treasures PC
Final Fantasy: Advent Children DVD
Tomb Raider: Legend 360
Guild Wars: Factions PC
360 Intercooler 360
Brain Age DS
Kingdom Hearts 2 PS2

GameStop says:

FFXI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan - PC$29.99
FFXI: Expansion - PS2 $29.99
FVII: Advent Children $24.99
Brain Age $19.99
360 Intercooler $19.99
FFXI - 360 $49.99

Link316 said:
there was never any doubt that Nintendo fans would pick this up, the question is whether its selling to nongamers

oh i disagree.. i think, it is very doubtful that many under 17 will buy it..

ghibli99 said:
Word of mouth here at work is pushing units as we speak.

Where the heck are the ads and commercials? Word of mouth is great, but nintendo is usually weak in pushing their lesser known products (i.e. - stuff that isn't mario, zelda, dk, etc.)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
muttyeah416 said:
Where the heck are the ads and commercials? Word of mouth is great, but nintendo is usually weak in pushing their lesser known products (i.e. - stuff that isn't mario, zelda, dk, etc.)
Open you eyes.

muttyeah416 said:
It depend where you've looked. Exemple, I saw it on a morning show in Canada, not a kid show btw :p I don't think we will see ads for the game at in gaming magazines and websites

donny2112

muttyeah416 said:

From ant1532 in the Official Brain Age thread ...

ant1532 said:
Nintendo ad in TIME MAGAZINE.

brainageadvert.jpg

I think a large portion of Nintendo's marketing for this game is outside the normal video game channels. That may be why you haven't seen a lot. There have also been a lot of mini-reviews from traditionally non-gaming magazines/newspapers. NPR review, Oprah ads, etc.

my local EB manager said that all sorts of ppl were inquiring about brain-age on tuesday - if brain Age takes off it'll be by word of mouth, TV ads can only contribute so much to making a culturall phenomenon, it'll also take quite some time to do, thus I really don't think first month sales are the ones we should be looking at to make or break brain age's success.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I haven't been following the Brain age marketing effort. Are there ads everywhere for this on tv? I actually saw a brain age review on my local news, quite rare for a game especially a portable one.

Koomaster

I saw some weird commercial for it several times now on Discovery Channel. Actually, I'm not sure if it's a "commercial" per-se, or some sort of thing Discovery does. Sort of like how SpikeTv will show "commercials" recommending men to get exercise or eating right - the one that focus on men's health, but aren't actually selling anything.

As for anecdotal evidence. I waited till today to look for it, and ToysRUs and EBGames said they sold out yesterday. Best Buy had 2 copies left - 1 of them just for me ^_______^

ghibli99

Unison said:
360 Intercooler
Sorry for the derail, but I chuckled at this... are there turbo and NOS kits, too?

Back on topic, muttyeah416, I couldn't tell ya... I barely watch TV and don't subscribe to any magazines. neoGAF is my advertising. ;) On a positive note, several of my friends have asked me about this game, and they don't even play games. Similar pattern to Nintendogs in a way.

Tiger

Banned
Unison said:
It seems that the $20 price point was a great idea here...
It was warranted. Let's face it folks. This game didn't exactly have a large development budget. So, it shouldn't have a large price.

Koomaster said:
I saw some weird commercial for it several times now on Discovery Channel. Actually, I'm not sure if it's a "commercial" per-se, or some sort of thing Discovery does. Sort of like how SpikeTv will show "commercials" recommending men to get exercise or eating right - the one that focus on men's health, but aren't actually selling anything.

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGMOeYCa_jw

.hacked

Anecdotal evidence but I was a GS and they had a fucking pile of them sitting unsold and the staff was cracking up that Nintendo keeps sending them more.

I felt sorry for them and bought a copy. For the next 20mins I proceeded to yell the word blue at my fucking DSlite until I was blue in the face and then I tossed the "game" in the trash.

crap.

Unison

.hacked said:
Anecdotal evidence but I was a GS and they had a fucking pile of them sitting unsold and the staff was cracking up that Nintendo keeps sending them more.

I felt sorry for them and bought a copy. For the next 20mins I proceeded to yell the word blue at my fucking DSlite until I was blue in the face and then I tossed the "game" in the trash.

crap.

I call shenanigans.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
.hacked said:

crap.

I'm going to take this as anecdotal evidence that you're a dick.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
metropolis said:
yep discovery channel has went way down hill...

While I agree, and I do miss a lot of the old school edjumcatiun shit, they did give me Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.

*is torn*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Campster said:
I'm going to take this as anecdotal evidence that you're a dick.

Actually I had the same thing.

I went in to buy MGS3 subsistence and now I'm going back to buy Brain Age. They had a fucking huge pile of them in a specially made box.

dkeane

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Actually I had the same thing.

I went in to buy MGS3 subsistence and now I'm going back to buy Brain Age. They had a fucking huge pile of them in a specially made box.
I saw those too, they're just empty boxes to promote the game at the register.

Top Bottom