• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does my Ps4 beep 3 times when I turn it off?

So amidst this somewhat serious outage since it's been 3 whole fucking days and still been down, I've been turning it on checking the PsN status and then turning it off, but in the process it does a triple beep...

Also yesterday I made a thread about trading it for an xbone but it got closed because it turned into "gamefaqs"...?

epmode

I'm pretty sure that means the PS4 didn't shut down properly. It happens to mine too on occasion (even when PSN is up).

Makabe

Something about applications still being open or the hard drive still being used. I think it's because the ps4 is still attempting to connect to PSN even though it's down.

Psykotik

this usually happens when there's some network activity going on in the background when you try to shutdown.

I've had 2 PS3s and they've both done that. Can't remember if my PS4 does it coz I've not used it for a while. I just thought it was the turning off confirmation, same as the single beep when it turns on.

LowParry

So amidst this somewhat serious outage since it's been 3 whole fucking days and still been down, I've been turning it on checking the PsN status and then turning it off, but in the process it does a triple beep...

Also yesterday I made a thread about trading it for an xbone but it got closed because it turned into "gamefaqs"...?

Ya know, just go trade it in and be done with it. I'll expect either a "I'm so glad I did this" thread or "Huge regrets". Go on. Just go do it.

I think the ps4 sends a shutdown notification to all running processes to finish what they are doing. Something probably didn't exit in time. I think it can happen when PSN is down because something is trying to connect. Friends list, what's new, etc. I should add that this nothing more than a guess, but I think it's a reasonable one.

RoyalFool

Banned
3 beeps means it's going to force shutdown as it's hit the time limit for shutting down normally, PSN taking ages to connect will be causing all sorts of hiccups (cloud saves syncing etc) so it's pretty normal. It doesn't damage the hdd, just force closes applications after the 3 beeps hits.

FZW

Whenever a PS4 is disconnected from PSN for too long it does that. A friend of mine had that issue after his internet was down for a couple of days. He was so paranoid lol.

Konosuke

It's because you shut it off while it was busy with something else, probably network activity like syncing something.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The prophecy has been fulfilled. The Artisan's PS4 confirmed Half-Life 3.

Let us pray for another sign. One long drawn out beep to confirm The Last Guardian.

thechemist

Mine did this yesterday as well, beeped twice when I put it into rest mode. Must be something to do with PSN syncing or whatever.

I can't believe how many people trade in their PS4s because PSN doesn't work for 3 days.

Amazon is full of people saying they "sent it right back" because PSN was down. People are so feeble minded when it comes to things like this, it is really hard to grasp the reasoning behind it for me.

Actionman1995

Neo Member
3 beeps when turning off means that it was unable to store your saves in the cloud, to be expected when the network is down. Nothing to worry about.

CozMick

Banned
When you turn your ps4 off it tries to connect to psn to upload your saves, as psn is fucked it will cause an error and give you the 3 beeps.

Customer services told me this today.

It also gives you the 3 beeps when the console is still accessing the hdd when you turn it off.

See my post above :p

ah gotcha. so more than likely has to do with the PsN outage.

as for accessing the hdd, I'd assume sony could just make it so that the Ps4 finishes doing what it needs to on the hdd and then shut off... so no need for the triple fucking beep.

On Demand

Banned
When you turn your ps4 off it tries to connect to psn to upload your saves, as psn is fucked it will cause an error and give you the 3 beeps.

Customer services told me this today.

It also gives you the 3 beeps when the console is still accessing the hdd when you turn it off.

This exactly.

CozMick

Banned

as for accessing the hdd, I'd assume sony could just make it so that the Ps4 finishes doing what it needs to on the hdd and then shut off... so no need for the triple fucking beep.

Its a fail safe, on ps3 it gave the hdd 10 seconds to finish then shut down regardless to stop the console from accessing the hdd forever.

No idea how long it gives the ps4.

On Demand

Banned

That's usually what it does. At least on PS3. But it can be locked into doing something. Hence the beeps.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Does it bother you that bad? Jesus.

Mengetsu

You know you can go into the settings and disable the internet connection and then reconnect it without turning it off and possibly causing damage to the console right?

It triple beeps when it has to kill a process. It's probably hanging on the cloud sync since the network is down and killing the action. It will go away when the network is fixed or when you pull the Ethernet probably.

Mine did that and then Alien Isolation became a chuggy mess. Apparently I had turned off the system without closing the game and corrupted the save file/HDD somehow. Deleting everything and redownloading saves from the cloud helped.

You know you can go into the settings and disable the internet connection and then reconnect it without turning it off and possibly causing damage to the console right?
consoles shouldn't be so easily fucking damaged. this is the 8th gen here.
Well, did you expect anything besides console wars? If you have any further questions, read this website: http://www.listwar.com/

what the, what is that website?

Mine did that and then Alien Isolation became a chuggy mess. Apparently I had turned off the system without closing the game and corrupted the save file/HDD somehow. Deleting everything and redownloading saves from the cloud helped.

hmmm, my OCD finally is justified. i always close stuff even just to log out and log in to a different account.

with the exception when i fall asleep lol

Top Bottom