• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines, Aliens vs. Predator (2010) no longer available on Steam

FoneBone

It's that time of year when licenses expire, as seen with Activision and Capcom's recent delistings, and I guess it's Sega's turn. I didn't think that these would get taken down while Isolation was still new, but apparently there were separate licenses that Sega didn't want to keep.

Nuuvem still has AvP for dirt cheap (less than $1.50), if you want to get it while you have the chance: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/72-aliens-vs-predator

And if you really still want Colonial Marines, Amazon has it for just over $5: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Both of the above links are Steam keys.)

AvP Classic is unaffected, which probably has to do with it being published by Rebellion itself.

Silky

Banned
Rebellion's AvP? Damn. That one was good.

lol Colonial Marines. Fuck that game.

I don't understand why these games would be removed while Isolation is here. Does this have to do with SEGA trying to clean up it's brand image with the IP?

FoneBone

Confession: I bought AvP2010 before I knew it was getting delisted. I know it's mediocre, but I figure I can get ~$1.30's worth of enjoyment out of it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Man... I really hate this about digital distribution. I have both those games, and actually enjoy AvP 2010 to a degree. There are many games on my wishlist that, if pulled without much notice before I could purchase them, would really piss me off. With physical at least you can hit up the second hand market if you are blindsided by a mass recall (which almost never happens anyway).

And nothing of value was lost

chess-queen-takes-bishop-aliens-1316288955p.gif

ezekial45

Banned
I rather enjoyed AvP 2010. I really would've liked a follow up. So what happens now? Does Sega just own the rights for Alien now?

It's that time of year when licenses expire, as seen with Activision and Capcom's recent delistings, and I guess it's Sega's turn. I didn't think that these would get taken down while Isolation was still new, but apparently there were separate licenses that Sega didn't want to keep.

Nuuvem still has AvP for dirt cheap (less than $1.50), if you want to get it while you have the chance: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/72-aliens-vs-predator

And if you really still want Colonial Marines, Amazon has it for just over $5: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Both of the above links are Steam keys.)

AvP Classic is unaffected, which probably has to do with it being published by Rebellion itself.

Separate licenses how? Is AvP considered something else? Seems at least Alien and Aliens would be the same...oh the lawsuit being a factor?

I don't understand why these games would be removed while Isolation is here. Does this have to do with SEGA trying to clean up it's brand image with the IP?

The removed games are ALIENS, Isolation is ALIEN

Small difference, but one that seems to matter.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I rather enjoyed AvP 2010. I really would've liked a follow up. So what happens now? Does Sega just own the rights for Alien now?

Yes. My guess is that, similar to what Acti does each year, it negotiated a partial refund on the cost of the Alien licence by offering to give up Aliens and Alien vs Predator in particular.

The removed games are ALIENS, Isolation is ALIEN

Small but big difference.

When Sega acquired the Alien licence back in 2006 it was all-inclusive. The two projects confirmed to be in the works at the time were an FPS (Alien vs Predator) and an RPG (Aliens).

Edit: Apparently I'm wrong about AvP being included, but I stand by what I said above about Sega giving up the licences voluntarily.

That's it man, GAME OVER MAN IT'S FUCKIN' GAME OVER.

I hope that someday, someone has the self control to publish an Aliens game that does not include this reference.

Also, thank god less people will have the opportunity of giving $5 to Gearbox. Shame about Rebellion's AvP though; despite my disdain for the license it was the best Alien game we had until Isolation.

AkuMifune

Banned
It's like when mom throws out the old ratty toy you couldn't bring yourself to. It's a mercy killing.

Hold me in your warm bosom mommy gabe.

Valnen

Oh damn, is there any risk of this happening to isolation at some point? Colonial marines isn't even all that old. Talk about pulling a Marvel. Why license something for such a short duration?

I really enjoyed AVP2010, and also enjoyed Isolation. Luckily I was warned before I tried to pick up Colonial Marines.

Still puchased AVP2010 for full price...

FoneBone

When Sega acquired the Alien licence back in 2006 it was all-inclusive. The two projects confirmed to be in the works at the time were an FPS (Alien vs Predator) and an RPG (Aliens).
This is incorrect. At the time they acquired the license, it specifically did not include AvP. The FPS announced at the time was from Gearbox, which became Colonial Marines.

AvP 2010 wasn't announced until 2008 or 2009, and IIRC rumor had it was originally a Vivendi Universal/Sierra game that was abandoned by Activision. Not sure if that part's accurate, though.

EDIT: Vivendi/Sierra did publish the 2007 AvP PSP game, though.

FoneBone

Oh damn, is there any risk of this happening to isolation at some point? Colonial marines isn't even all that old. Talk about pulling a Marvel. Why license something for such a short duration?

It's pretty much guaranteed to happen to Isolation eventually - that's the nature of external licensing. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, though.

Volotaire

AVP 2010 was a good game although there were frustrating controls and moments within the game. AVP 2000 is still the best out of the franchise.

Kuroyume

Banned
Bummed I didn't pick up Aliens: Colonial Marines for the $2 or whatever it was a week or two ago. I expected it wouldn't stick around for long but didn't expect it to be gone THAT soon. Came out of nowhere.

AVP 2010 wasn't bad. Pretty enough, and the VA had a right bit of 80s flavor to it, especially in the Predator section. Controls were a bit clunky though, and everything felt a bit heavy as opposed to classic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is incorrect. At the time they acquired the license, it specifically did not include AvP. The FPS announced at the time was from Gearbox, which became Colonial Marines.

AvP 2010 wasn't announced until 2008 or 2009, and IIRC rumor had it was originally a Vivendi Universal/Sierra game that was abandoned by Activision. Not sure if that part's accurate, though.

EDIT: Vivendi/Sierra did publish the 2007 AvP PSP game, though.

Ah, right. Not sure why I had it in my head that the FPS was AvP (a quick Wikipedia check would have set my mind straight). As for the other half of the matter... so, you admit that Alien and Aliens weren't separate, then? ;)

Vanish

Why is it that most of the time, these companies never announce ahead of time (maybe a month or at least a few weeks) that their games are getting delisted? You would think they would at least want to get a few extra last minute sales or something.

Top Bottom