• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need the name of an old Apple II game I played back in elementary school...

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
All knowing Gaf... so this has been bothering me for some time every time it does come to my head.

Back in elementary (around the 80s) I remember the best parts of school was computer class, being able to play number munchers and oregon trail. But there were a couple of games that I remember playing ONCE but never playing again. They were mainly educational games from what I remember but I definitely for nostalgia sake want to see what they are.

Game 1: You play the role of an adventurer/safari explorer. I remember the first stage going through the caverns and you had to point and click your way through the map. There were certain points in the map where you had to time your clicks correctly or else you'd fall down or fall into a trap of some sort. One part that ALWAYS stuck with me was when if you mistimed the click or made the mistake, then the guy would say, "Uh OH!" and then take you to the next screen. Out of all the fail paths, I remember one being a screen where you had to click all the bats to shoo them away.

Game 2: Possibly the earliest version of Minecraft? It was a straight 2d sprite based mining game where you would go through section by section. Occasionally you would hit an element and you had to guess the name of the mineral based on it's weight, luster, size, etc. It was definitely meant to be educational.

Lastly - anybody remember Logo writer? The programming game for kids with the turtle? You could input commands for the turtle to do so that he would walk around and draw pictures for you.

LogoWriter.png

BouncyFrag

Lastly - anybody remember Logo writer? The programming game for kids with the turtle? You could input commands for the turtle to do so that he would walk around and draw pictures for you.

LogoWriter.png
Wow. When my family moved to the US from Ireland this was the first thing I'd ever played on a computer and my little first grade, Irish immigrant mind was blown. So many feels.

LogoWriter.png

Logo was my springboard into logic and programming.
I spent so much time screwing around with it in 5th grade when my school finally got computers.

Rich!

aw man

we had a real robotic turtle back in school that we programmed to drive around the classroom. that was amazing. (around 1994/5 or so)

Top Bottom