• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rest in peace, Chikao Otsuka.

Dawg

http://www.aoni.co.jp/

弊社所属俳優 大塚周夫 儀 (85歳)が、平成27年1月15日 虚血性心不全の為 永眠いたしました。

Voice-actor, Chikao Otsuka, has passed away on the 15th of January due to heart failure. He was 85 years old. He was the father of voice-actor Akio Otsuka.

He also voiced Big Boss in the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Via Nightengale

b7ekfa4ccaa9u0aeijzd.png

I'll go on the record to say the reason I didn't create a topic on this was because there was a split second of venom in my heart that thought "what if I named the topic Japanese VA of Big Boss, Otsuka passed away" just for the sake of a troll thread title.

It was only for a split second, but I felt like a complete terrible piece-of-shit not worthy of being a person.

I'll go on the record to say the reason I didn't create a topic on this was because there was a split second of venom in my heart that thought "what if I named the topic Japanese VA of Big Boss, Otsuka passed away" just for the sake of a troll thread title.

It was only for a split second, but I felt like a complete terrible piece-of-shit not worthy of being a person.

You would have been ashamed of your words and deeds.

RIP.

Dawg

For what it's worth, that got a giggle out of me. Don't be so harsh on yourself. This is a big loss and a sad day, but that doesn't mean we can't joke around anymore :) That said, I wouldn't have posted a thread with that title :p But you sharing this got a laugh out of me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A legendary voice actor.
He was also Master Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts, Doctor Eggman in various Sonic games, and the King of the Pirates Gol D. Roger in One Piece.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hey, spoilers, man!

:(

Rest in peace, sir. You were legendary. The Will of 'D' lives on.

For what it's worth, that got a giggle out of me. Don't be so harsh on yourself. This is a big loss and a sad day, but that doesn't mean we can't joke around anymore :) That said, I wouldn't have posted a thread with that title :p But you sharing this got a laugh out of me.

Well, my own family passed away recently, and I absolutely loathe jokes that imply the death of someone who's not dead.

Thanks though. Sharing that out made me feel better a bit too. =)

Sgblues

RIP Sir

And its always interesting he was the father of Solid Snake, the real Big Boss(at least in MGS4), Akio Otsuka must have been proud to do this with his Dad.

And I hope he would would be always proud of his Dad.

Geg

Man that's awful, he was one of my favorite "old man" voice actors. Condolences to Akio Ohtsuka as well

Also adds one to the ridiculously large list of Japanese Metal Gear actors who have died

jett

D-Member
Whoa didn't know Big Boss's voice actor was the father of Snake's voice actor. That's really great.

RIP.

Whoa didn't know Big Boss's voice actor was the father of Snake's voice actor. That's really great.

It's even more effective after you've heard that Otsuka and Otsuka Junior appearently didn't get along anymore and Kojima tried to get them to make up again by forcing them together in the recording Studio.

No idea how it worked out in the end though.

RIP.

Tizoc

I read the name and thought it was Akio who passed away >_>;

Non the less, RiP, he also voiced Geomon in Lupin III and was a voice actor for Joseph Joestar too.

NotLiquid

It's even more effective after you've heard that Otsuka and Otsuka Junior appearently didn't get along anymore and Kojima tried to get them to make up again by forcing them together in the recording Studio.

RIP.

I think this part was also the basis of the codec call Snake had in Brawl regarding Sonic. Snake's mentioning of "not liking" Sonic made more sense in Japan as Eggman and Big Boss were both voiced by Otsuka.

It's such a shame to see him go. I really liked his works.

Geg

For the record here's a list of all the Japanese voice actors in the Metal Gear series who have died since voice work in the series began in 1998:

Chikao Ohtsuka (Big Boss, heart failure)
Takeshi Aono (Colonel Campbell & Granin, cerebral infarction)
Kaneto Shiozawa (Gray Fox, cerebral contusion)
Kōji Totani (MGS1 and 2's Revolver Ocelot, heart failure)
Kazuyuki Sogabe (Psycho Mantis, cancer)
Daisuke Gōri (Scott Dolph, suicide)
Kenji Utsumi (Colonel Volgin, cancer)
Kazumi Tanaka (The Fear, pulmonary heart disease)

For a series with such a relatively limited amount of characters, that's a large amount of people

antibolo

Banned
He's also the voice actor of Doctor Eggman. RIP, man.

Oh fuck, I liked him. He sounded so silly, which is exactly how I like my giant-mustached sphere-shaped mad scientists.

For the record here's a list of all the Japanese voice actors in the Metal Gear series who have died since voice work in the series began in 1998:

Chikao Ohtsuka (Big Boss, heart failure)
Takeshi Aono (Colonel Campbell & Granin, cerebral infarction)
Kaneto Shiozawa (Gray Fox, cerebral contusion)
Kōji Totani (MGS1 and 2's Revolver Ocelot, heart failure)
Kazuyuki Sogabe (Psycho Mantis, cancer)
Daisuke Gōri (Scott Dolph, suicide)
Kenji Utsumi (Colonel Volgin, cancer)
Kazumi Tanaka (The Fear, pulmonary heart disease)

For a series with such a relatively limited amount of characters, that's a large amount of people

Holy shit, Metal Gear is cursed confirmed.

Incidentally, it's rumored that the fact that Big Boss's seiyuu voiced Dr. Eggman is why Solid Snake doesn't much care for Sonic in his codec calls in Brawl.

novenD

I think this part was also the basis of the codec call Snake had in Brawl regarding Sonic. Snake's mentioning of "not liking" Sonic made more sense in Japan as Eggman and Big Boss were both voiced by Otsuka.

It's such a shame to see him go. I really liked his works.

Incidentally, it's rumored that the fact that Big Boss's seiyuu voiced Dr. Eggman is why Solid Snake doesn't much care for Sonic in his codec calls in Brawl.

Hedgehogs eat snakes; there's likely nothing more to the gag than that.

The man had a great voice. RIP

RMI

Banned

RIP.

RIP.

woah. RIP.

Top Bottom