• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA”

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ort-mandatory-labels-on-foods-containing-dna/

the actual survey is linked at wapo as well

A recent survey by the Oklahoma State University Department of Agricultural Economics finds that over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA,” about the same number as support mandatory labeling of GMO foods “produced with genetic engineering.” Oklahoma State economist Jayson Lusk has some additional details on the survey. If the government does impose mandatory labeling on foods containing DNA, perhaps the label might look something like this:

WARNING: This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The Surgeon General has determined that DNA is linked to a variety of diseases in both animals and humans. In some configurations, it is a risk factor for cancer and heart disease. Pregnant women are at very high risk of passing on DNA to their children.

im on a strictly salt, pure sugar, and rock diet myself

akira28

seems so silly

clearly there is an information gap, so instead of laughing about people, just make sure everyone is properly informed. They don't want mandatory labels for useless reasons, so change it to "patented process altered DNA".

darscot

I'm usually one who enjoys a good chuckle at the expense of the America public but I have to say this one surprised me. The survey must be really tilted to get this result.

terrisus

That food contains DNA?
That's practically like eating people!

But

Everything plant or animal has DNA in it.

thejoke.jpg

Eh this just tells me large portions Americans don't know what DNA is or they were not paying attention to the question but understood it was one of those "warning label questions". Most people support labels by default, so they'll say yes instinctively without really giving it a second thought.

Had they explained what DNA was and then asked the question, that would be different.

Lunar15

This is absurd.

As long as people get organic, free-range DNA, they should be fine.

I'm sure this survey was really clear and helpful to the people taking it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Levels of stupid this breathtaking are precisely why packages of nuts are required to state "product contains nuts" on the label.

mbspx3.jpg

I work in an industry related to GMOs (not the GMOs themselves, more like logistical support for their agricultural usage) and while I'm skeptical of most of the industry science that I'm subjected to at work, bullshit like this makes me very sympathetic.

I don't like being sympathetic to my bosses...

Eh this just tells me large portions Americans don't know what DNA is or they were not paying attention to the question but understood it was one of those "warning label questions". Most people support labels by default, so they'll say yes instinctively without really giving it a second thought.

Had they explained what DNA was and then asked the question, that would be different.

^^ Aye, when I read this, I thought it was a satirical question that criticized the GMO food labeling "issue," like to say "Sure, 80% of people supporting labeling food that is GMO with a warning, but 80% of people also support labeling food with DNA with a similar warning."

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
but this isnt the onion

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Americans starting to be just as dumb as Europeans smh

I know this is probably a joke but at least most European countries don't teach the archaic imperial unit system in school in comparison to the all round superior SI units. Being forced to use the unit system in the oil industry is an absolute bane, why do they keep teaching it it's quite clearly inferior.

The writer was just taking the piss here right?

WARNING: This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The Surgeon General has determined that DNA is linked to a variety of diseases in both animals and humans. In some configurations, it is a risk factor for cancer and heart disease. Pregnant women are at very high risk of passing on DNA to their children.

Because this is up there with the DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE scourge warning posts.

People still misuse the term "organic" on food labeling.

This has to be a joke. They can't be this stupid.

It is thankfully (from the article)
The Oklahoma State survey result is probably an example of the intersection between scientific ignorance and political ignorance, both of which are widespread.The most obvious explanation for the data is that most of these people don’t really understand what DNA is, and don’t realize that it is contained in almost all food. When they read that a strange substance called “DNA” might be included in their food, they might suspect that this is some dangerous chemical inserted by greedy corporations for their own nefarious purposes.

I know this is probably a joke but at least most European countries don't teach the archaic imperial unit system in school in comparison to the all round superior SI units. Being forced to use the unit system in the oil industry is an absolute bane, why do they keep teaching it it's quite clearly inferior.

We teach both, but kids grow up hearing imperial units from their parents before they get to basic science class and start learning metric, so that's what we all kind of stick with.

I actually prefer it for talking about driving distance, only because it makes it sounds like you have less traveling to go. For everything else metric is obviously superior.

Edit:
It is thankfully (from the article)

Doesn't that make it not a joke? And just kind of sad?

DBT85

The writer was just taking the piss here right?

Because this is up there with the DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE scourge warning posts.

People still misuse the term "organic" on food labeling.

Ha, the DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE stuff is funny.

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
seems so silly

clearly there is an information gap, so instead of laughing about people, just make sure everyone is properly informed. They don't want mandatory labels for useless reasons, so change it to "patented process altered DNA".

This. Its funny but...at the same time sad. Lack of basic education is an actual problem.

Volimar

Remember some years back when that video came out where people were getting folks to sign a petition to end women's suffrage?

Edit: turns out to be a popular prank look it up on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom