• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a Donkey Kong Dynasty Warriors game

We've had more than enough Mario and Pokémon spin-offs, so I hope somebody takes my plea into consideration. Given how well the games sell, I feel like the DK franchise is being criminally underutilized. It's the fourth best selling Nintendo IP behind Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda, and I believe that a new spin-off like this would help leverage the brand even further. It has dozens of wacky characters and locations that have been diversified greatly thanks to Retro's wonderful take on the franchise, and I'd love to see the characters they've created interact with some of the other Rare mainstays like King K. Rool and Tiny Kong. Having a few nods to Jungle Beat would be nice too, despite the fact that Donkey Kong heavily under performed during the GameCube era. DK fans finally deserve some proper fanservice, and Tecmo Koei does it better than anybody else. Probably more so than Nintendo themselves.

Like in Donkey Kong 64 and Retro's 2D platformers, all of the characters can have access to firearms as weapons. DK shoots coconuts, Diddy shoots peanuts, Cranky shoots dentures, Dixie shoots bubblegum... so on and so forth. The Kongs can also summon the Animal Buddies for assistance. From a gameplay perspective, I think that the Donkey Kong IP offers far more variety than some people may think. Don't let the decade long hiatus in the aughts mislead you into believing otherwise. What say you, GAF?

Playable Characters:

Donkey Kong + Rambi the Rhinoceros
Diddy Kong + Winky the Frog
Cranky Kong + Expresso the Ostrich
Funky Kong + Clapper the Seal
Dixie Kong + Squawks the Parrot
Wrinkly Kong + Glimmer the Angler Fish
Kiddy Kong + Ellie the Elephant
Tiny Kong + Rattly the Rattlesnake
Lanky Kong + Enguarde the Swordfish
Chunky Kong + Squitter the Spider

Unlockable Villains:

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Kudgel (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
KAOS (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)
Wizpig (Diddy Kong Racing)
Troff 'n Scoff (Donkey Kong 64)
Ghastly King (Donkey Kong Jungle Beat)
Kalypso (Donkey Kong Barrel Blast)
Tiki Tong (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
Lord Fredrick (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
Mario (Donkey Kong Jr.)

iBGgfKc.png

I always forget Mario and Donkey Kong are separate series. Although if they make Mario a Warriors I'm sure DK would be in it

Neiteio

Can't wait for the Candy Kong exposed cleavage controversy

Also, I'll still complain that they didn't include Saria, even though it's fucking Donkey Kong

#NeverForget

Troff n Scoff are villans?

They were listed as villains in some German Player's Guide or something. Close enough. I was tempted to include Snide instead, but a duo sounds more interesting.

Can't wait for the Candy Kong exposed cleavage controversy

Also, I'll still complain that they didn't include Saria, even though it's fucking Donkey Kong

#NeverForget

Can't say I blame you. I'd take Saria over Lana any day of the week. Hell, she even stole Saria's moveset. :Y

A more hand to hand style could be neat, but I don't think there are enough people that care about DK characters to make this profitable

Kinsei

Banned
I just noticed you paired up my favorite Kong with my favorite animal buddy. Chunky riding Squitter is something I never knew I wanted to see.

Astral Dog

Eww, no, enough DK.

What about a Metroid Warriors? you got Samus, Dark Samus, all the hunters, Adam, Remember Me, Teenager Mother Brain,etc. Ridley would be a boss as he is too big to fit.

A more fist to fist style could be neat, but I don't think there are enough people that care about DK characters to make this profitable

I think people underestimate the popularity of the DK franchise. Even Nintendo. Just because it doesn't have a vocal fandom doesn't mean that people don't care. Retro essentially revived the IP, so it's worth trying something out.

I think people underestimate the popularity of the DK franchise. Even Nintendo. Just because it doesn't have a vocal fandom doesn't mean that people don't care. Retro essentially revived the IP, so it's worth trying something out.
I don't think people care about anyone other than Diddy and DK, and those are pretty low in priority in comparison to a lot of other Nintendo characters.

I don't think people care about anyone other than Diddy and DK, and those are pretty low in priority in comparison to a lot of other Nintendo characters.

Donkey Kong Country 3 featured Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong only and it outsold almost every game in the Metroid franchise bar Prime. You shouldn't project your own feelings onto the general public. That's not nice.

Neiteio

The whole "killing off Wrinkly Kong" thing never sat right with me. She was fit as fuck in DKC3. Let me play as jazzercise Wrinkly, wheeling around an N64 and CRT so you can always hear the Peach's Castle theme playing in the background. And she summon Banana Birds from her cave, like the crazy bird lady at the end of Home Alone 2.

Nanashrew

Banned
This was all fun until this. No no, the Captain is reserved for Platinum.

Fire Emblem Musou is the correct answer.

Please. That's reserved for the secret unlockable character:
David Motherfucking Wise

He should be in. Credits should be over the top too with the cast of Donkey Kong dancing and going to the music like DK64.
David Wise would show up on stage for a sax solo

Neiteio

This was all fun until this. No no, the Captain is reserved for Platinum.

Fire Emblem Musou is the correct answer.
Actually, I think I mentioned it here before, but I would love Platinum to make an F-Zero spinoff that is basically Anarchy Reigns 2

Surely I am not the only Nintendo fan who played Anarchy Reigns and thought, "This is an F-Zero beat-'em-up."

Neiteio

If Dave Wise was a playable character, he'd cause everyone to stop fighting with the soothing sounds of his all-powerful sax

efTeIVT.png

Donkey Kong Country 3 featured Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong only and it outsold almost every game in the Metroid franchise bar Prime. You shouldn't project your own feelings onto the general public. That's not nice.
That was almost 20 years ago, I just don't think DK characters are that relevant now a days, especially to make a Musou game.
I also think that about Fire Emblem and i love fire emblem.

Top Bottom