• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikipedia bans editors over GamerGate controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
EDIT : Wikipedia has basically ruled in favor of GamerGate and has banned well known feminist editors from editing ANYTHING gender related, not just GamerGate

If you don't know what this whole GamerGate thing is about, check out this link:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135783202&postcount=5

This is extremely troubling, and it seems it will have a broad affect on all articles on Wikipedia that deal with gender issues:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...r-related-articles-amid-gamergate-controversy

In summary, Wikipedia has banned 5 well-known feminist editors from ever editing anything related to gender, and 5 "GamerGate" accounts from doing the same. However, these "GamerGate" accounts were just "throwaway" accounts, not well-known editors.

Key part:

The editors, who were all actively attempting to prevent the article from being rewritten with a pro-Gamergate slant, were sanctioned by “arbcom” in its preliminary decision. While that may change as it is finalised, the body, known as Wikipedia’s supreme court, rarely reverses its decisions.

The sanction bars the five editors from having anything to do with any articles covering Gamergate, but also from any other article about “gender or sexuality, broadly construed”.

Editors who had been pushing for the Wikipedia article to be fairer to Gamergate have also been sanctioned by the committee, but one observer warns that those sanctions have only hit “throwaway” accounts.

“No sanctions at all were proposed against any of Gamergate’s warriors, save for a few disposable accounts created specifically for the purpose of being sanctioned,” said Mark Bernstein, a writer and Wikipedia editor.

Slayven

The GamerGate movement is a poorly managed and disgusied hate group. They is no "pro" way to show rancid shit.

JDSN

Banned
Good, these asshole need to hear the call of society and get in line.

Edit: Oh wait, they banned the antiGG folks, not see the point of slandering them when even the CEO of wiki knows they are assholes.

Coreda

TIL a gamergate is a reproductively viable female worker ant that is able to reproduce with mature males when the colony is lacking a queen. Thanks Wikipedia.

kmax

Good. Fuck GamerHate.
¨
EDIT: Read the whole article. This is bad news. The fuck are they doing over there?

Brakke

Banned
Ryulong is among those sanctioned (? censured? dunno what's the term here). Ryulong got a GAF account approved recently, saw a few posts in the gamergate thread. Maybe we can get some first-hand insight?

Vyroxis

Banned
I still don't know what that is or even want to know. Shows you how much I spend on the gaming side.

Its about ethics in game journalism!
Its about sexism!
Ethics!
Sexism!
WAAAAAAH!
WAAAAAAAAAAAH!

There, I summed it up for you in all it's glory.

The Wikipedia article should just be a giant NOPE. Crap like this only adds fuel to the fire.

How is this a good thing? If im reading right, it means people trying to correct pro gamergate slants are barred from doing so. Unless im reading it wrong..

deli2000

Am I reading the same article as everyone else? It seems pro gamergater's got off scot free while anti-GG'ers have been banned.

IronRinn

I think people are missing this:

The editors, who were all actively attempting to prevent the article from being rewritten with a pro-Gamergate slant, were sanctioned by “arbcom” in its preliminary decision.

This is good for GGers

studyguy

The whole controversy has by and large floated past me with little interest. As big of a shitstorm the net made it out to be, unless you're looking for it I generally don't run into GG related anything on my day to day. Equality sounds fine, I don't know squat about what happened with who or whatever anymore.

Azih

Wasn't the original complaint of Gamergaters thoroughly debunked when it was found out that Nathan Grayson didn't write anything about Zoe Quinn after they became an item? Why is this even a thing anymore? There's nothing real here.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How is this a good thing? If im reading right, it means people trying to correct pro gamergate slants are barred from doing so. Unless im reading it wrong..

This is a really BAD thing, and it affects the entirety of Wikipedia, not just the GamerGate articles. That's why I posted it in OT.

Real Hero

Wasn't the original complaint of Gamergaters thoroughly debunked when it was found out that Nathan Grayson didn't write anything about Zoe Quinn after they became an item? Why is this even a thing anymore? There's nothing real here.
Any one who calls themselves pro gamergate doesn't care about facts or reality just the evils of 'cultural marxism'

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
to be fair, the purpose of wikipedia is to present information impartially. if the anti-gg editors are slanting things too much, then they can't be trusted to edit the article. it's as simple as that.

The article should present both sides of the issue in a fair way. It doesn't matter which side you support, this is (was?) a significant movement that gained attention. You may not agree with it, but it did happen.

This is a really BAD thing, and it affects the entirety of Wikipedia, not just the GamerGate articles. That's why I posted it in OT.

Yeah, I know its a bad thing, I was just baffled by some posts saying its a good thing, so I thought I misinterpreted the article

Jonnax

What is gamergate? Does anybody know of an up to date, simple explanation?

It's a hate movement against women in the gaming industry and community (With death and rape threats galore). However they've disguised it by saying shit like "It's not about women, it's about ethics in game journalism"

Anura

The whole controversy has by and large floated past me with little interest. As big of a shitstorm the net made it out to be, unless you're looking for it I generally don't run into GG related anything on my day to day. Equality sounds fine, I don't know squat about what happened with who or whatever anymore.

The issue is that it takes a huge amount of pro-gate bias to make it sound anything near positive. It pretty much requires you to ignore every other side except the GG side.

Saying GG is a sexist and hateful movement is a very fair and equal assessment.

What is gamergate? Does anybody know of an up to date, simple explanation?

A woman named Anita had sex (gasp). A bunch of virgin gamers were highly upset she didn't give up the box to them. So they harassed and doxxed her, sent death threats to her and her family, told her they wanted to rape her among other things. When other women spoke out they too received the same threats of murder and rape to both the females and their immediate family and friends. And the reason why gamers did this is because of "ethnics in game journalism".

And no I'm not kidding, that's literally gamergate.

Courage

Yeah, I don't see how this is good. I'm all for spreading awareness to what fueled Gamergate and what it actually is, instead of hiding behind the "ethics in journalism" narrative. Puerile hatred that got to the point of death threats should definitely be called out.

A woman named Anita had sex. A bunch of virgin gamers were highly upset she didn't give up the box to them. So they harassed and doxxed her, sent death threats to her and her family, told her they wanted to rape her among other things. And the reason why they did this is because of ethnics in game journalism.

Zoe not Anita, but the latter got death threats as well; other than that, pretty much.

Read up on it. GamerGate is all about harassment and should not be given equal footing to voices of reason.

Ferr986

Every GGer I talked to said to me that it was about journalism ethics, but the more I talked to them the more I saw they are more worried about feminism in videogames than journalism.

ibyea

Banned
A woman named Anita had sex. A bunch of virgin gamers were highly upset she didn't give up the box to them. So they harassed and doxxed her, sent death threats to her and her family, told her they wanted to rape her among other things. And the reason why they did this is because of ethnics in game journalism.

Not quiet. The accusations started with Zoe Quinn, by a guy who used to date her. He accused her of sleeping with a guy in exchange for a review. Except that guy didn't even review her game.

Oberon

Banned
I bit off topic, but does anyone else get this GamerGate adds on gaf?

L2OyHFg.png

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The issue is that it takes a huge amount of pro-gate bias to make it sound anything near positive. It pretty much requires you to ignore every other side except the GG side.

Saying GG is a sexist and hateful movement is a very fair and equal assessment

that's not how wikipedia is suppose to work. it's just suppose to be facts.

take a look at the KKK page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

it doesn't flat out say they're racist assholes anywhere, just what they did, objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom