• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Face Off PC vs PS4 (Hardcoregamer).

Kezen

Banned
Extremely enlightening article by hardcoregamer and I completely underestimated the visual gap between max PC settings and PS4 :
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/01/28/dying-light-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/131644/

but the locked View Distance setting on PS4 is actually equivalent to 0% on PC

DyingLightComp-Image27-PC.jpg

DyingLightComp-Image27-PS4.jpg

DyingLightComp-Image25-PC.jpg

DyingLightComp-Image25-PS4.jpg

wiggleb0t

Banned
Default pc FOV is so jarring. Needs to be kicked up a notch to make it normal. That alone is essential imo. Console must be painful at times.

Default pc FOV is so jarring. Needs to be kicked up a notch to make it normal. That alone is essential imo. Console must be painful at times.

Yeah, I saw someone playing the PS4 version on twitch and was shocked at how terrible the FOV was. You don't have to move the camera nearly as much when you have a FOV of 90 and above on PC. On console, it's like staring through a small lens in comparison.

nOoblet16

It's not that big of a difference difference and it really isn't as big as I initially expected it to be. Especially considering one will not really miss the lower density while actually playing.And that turning it all the way up will still not get rid of popups/LOD transitions in immediate areas still, it will be much lower of course but it won't be completely gone.

In fact even PC gamers would more than likely turn down the slider to near 0 because of how little practical improvement it offers for the performance hit it brings about. As it will allow them to play at 60FPS (if they have the rig) but turning it all the way up will cause issues for even a 980 and result in an unstable framerate.

Also this, Honestly looks much worse even if it's not as simple as the PS4/Low setting. Because the trees don't look full, and appear non existent here. But they do in low settings/PS4 ironically despite using simpler geometry.

Kezen

Banned
Dat JPEG compression. They should have atleast used PNGs when doing a comparison.

True but the massive LOD difference does not need PNG to immediately strike.

At least it explains why cranking the slider to the max kills my performance. I've set it at 50.

Glad to see more sites doing Face-Offs by the way. Hardcoregamer definitely earned me as a visitor with this article. :)

This comparison highlights how much HBAO+ makes a difference :
PC
DyingLightComp-Image13-PC.jpg

PS4
DyingLightComp-Image13-PS4.jpg

Harp

I guess on a technical level, but I have to really look to find a negative on ps4. Nothing jumps out

In fact even PC gamers would more than likely turn down the slider to near 0 because of how little practical improvement it offers for the performance hit it brings about. As it will allow them to play at 60FPS (if they have the rig) but turning it all the way up will cause issues for even a 980 and result in an unstable framerate.
Depends on your FPS goals obviously... but I agree that I definitely wouldnt run this at 100% draw distance if I could have a nice relatively close to 60fps at all times. Then again, I ahve yet to see the difference in motion.

Corpekata

Banned
No idea how people can't notice some of the Lego Trees and poorly textured buildings. It's probably standing out as much as it did in AC Unity at times.

Kezen

Banned
No idea how people can't notice some of the Lego Trees and poorly textured buildings. It's probably standing out as much as it did in AC Unity at times.

Some people seem extremely quick at picking differences between PS4 and Xbox One, less so when arguably bigger disparities exist between the PC (at max settings) and PS4.

Macattk15

I have no idea how anyone can see any kind of significant difference between the two.

I'm with you. I sat here and came up with this conclusion.

Besides the tree detail which was extremely obvious .... but I'm here to smash zombies and stay alive ... not stare at trees.

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Some people seem extremely quick at picking differences between PS4 and Xbox One, less so when arguably bigger disparities exist between the PC (at max settings) and PS4.

I think it's not even max settings here on PC. But yeah, I think that's because it's expected for PC to display better looking games.

Adam Beck did a great job on this - the screens are perfect for what you want with this kind of article. It gives a 1:1 comparison as close as possible between the versions.

The Cowboy

Quick GIFs showing the LOD changes (edit - labelled each version now).

There is quite a lot of close range details lost on the PS4 version over the 0% PC version, kinda surprised really.

Edit.
Seems this might not be PS4 vs 0% PC but might actually be 50% PC, the site doesn't exactly make it clear.

Double edit.
Its actually PS4 vs 100% PC, just tested in game and it defiantly not 50% or 0%.

McHuj

I'm having trouble seeing what I would call a big difference. Yeah, the trees look different, but they both look shitty to me. Not a big deal.

Cidd

Am I the only person who think they both look shitty and can hardly see a difference?

This game is an eye sore.

Game was developed to run on older consoles (which was then dropped but only relatively near the end of development, so the assets like environments were locked down by then)

So with this particular game, its not that big a difference simply due to limitations of the source material.

Cidd

Quick GIFs showing the LOD changes.

There is quite a lot of close range details lost on the PS4 version over the 0% PC version, kinda surprised really.

Thanks for this I can see the difference now, at first I was like wtf am I missing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
True but the massive LOD difference does not need PNG to immediately strike.

At least it explains why cranking the slider to the max kills my performance. I've set it at 50.

Glad to see more sites doing Face-Offs by the way. Hardcoregamer definitely earned me as a visitor with this article. :)

This comparison highlights how much HBAO+ makes a difference :
PC

PS4

HBAO+ is awesome. Ewww at whatever AO solution the PS4 is using. I've always hated that low-accuracy "shadowy glow" effect that a lot of SSAO implementations bring.

impact

Banned
Are you aware that it's the game running with low LOD ?

Are you aware that most people on a hardcore gaming forum don't even know what the hell that is, let alone able to see it in a screenshot? Nitpick all you want, these don't look different at all.

It's ok the pc version is still the best you don't have to be upset

Top Bottom