• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thick Pollution Layer from the U.S. over Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

A 1-km (3,280-feet) thick pollution layer which originated from the U.S. East Coast was detected by scientists at an altitude of 5 km above the Holuhraun eruption site on January 22. The scientists, who were measuring the composition of gases in the volcanic plume, noticed the pollution by coincidence.

Pollution from North America has never been confirmed in the atmosphere above Iceland before, as meteorologist Haraldur Ólafsson, who detected the pollution along with a French scientist, told visir.is today.

He added that while the pollution layer had been detected above the northeastern highlands, it had probably covered the entire island at the time.

“It’s notable because people have always thought that the pollution in Iceland comes from Europe, which it does of course, and one can sometimes smell it when the wind blows directly from the British Isles and the European mainland. People thought that the pollution which exists in the atmosphere above North America is too far away, that it would have rained into the ocean before it reaches Iceland,” Haraldur said.

It’s unclear how often Iceland is subjected to pollution from North America—since it has never been detected before—but Haraldur believes it might drift across the island several times a year.

For their research, the scientists use a balloon which they release into the air. The balloon then pumps air through tubes, in which there are sensors and lasers which take pictures of the tiny particles that pass through the tubes.

“It turned out that there’s a multitude of particles at that altitude above Holuhraun but they are not connected to the eruption because there is clean air in between,” Haraldur explained. He and his colleague then calculated from where the polluted air came.

Haraldur stated that the pollution doesn’t have a big impact on the weather in Iceland today but that it may have serious long-term consequences. “The soot falls on snow and ice in the Arctic regions and speeds up the melt in the spring and summer. That in turn has an effect on the climate in our part of the world and around the globe long term.”

Today it was reported that the glaciers in Iceland are melting faster than earlier believed, causing an uplift and more frequent volcanic eruptions.

Link

700x467xpollution_eruption_holuhraun_faxafloi_november_13_2014_2.jpg,qitok=QD4KksBJ.pagespeed.ic.apgElaWmFf.webp

Foffy

Banned
Like the great Carl Sagan once said, what the United States puts into the atmosphere doesn't stay near the U.S., but becomes a worldwide environmental issue. And yet we act as if what we do does not affect anybody else..

Tawpgun

Huh never did make that connection. Uplift from the removal of glaciers can lead to earthquakes and I guess more volcano eruptions too.

So basically next time Iceland explodes, the US/Euro fault :p

esms

I'm still trying to figure out which invader was actually dumb enough to fall for this ruse. Surely they didn't just pick their targets based on the names right?

I'm assuming it's along the same lines as sailing for India, finding America, and naming the inhabitants Indians.

Um, the article says North America, which includes Canada and Mexico.

Why highlight it as just the U.S.?

Edit: I can't read first sentences apparently.

slit

Ah I see our plan to unleash a death cloud over Europe is being tested on a sparsely populated country first.

Africanus

Little did people realize that the ancient being Groudon slumbered underneath the Holuhraun volcano, to awaken when climate change had grown too steep.

kess

I wonder if Iceland gets any of the forest fire particulates that have settled across Greenland:

jason-box-snow-630.jpg

Clydefrog

Clooneysmug.JPG

I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects, we are the ones

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
1 km of pollution ...5km in the atmosphere...during a volcano eruption....how do you even notice that during a volcano eruption.

Oh and good news guys our pollution blows away so smoke if ya got em!

“It’s notable because people have always thought that the pollution in Iceland comes from Europe, which it does of course, and one can sometimes smell it when the wind blows directly from the British Isles and the European mainland.

What? Does it smell like unwashed Scotsman and Norwegians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom