• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How hard would it be to achieve 60fps in Uncharted 4?" ND: Really fucking hard.

this makes me sad.

I didn't think they'd have so much trouble with 60fps, and this is ND here.

so much for having 1080p/60fps be the standard this gen. at least for Ps4.

they made tlour 1080p/60fps and that was a port. this is a game built from the ground up for Ps4.

this makes me sad.

image.php

He's right it probably is pretty damn fucking hard.

Whats he supposed to say? "Yeah we're developing a game with some of the best graphics of all time, its a cake walk!"

Also, he didn't "decline comment on 60fps"

this makes me sad.

I didn't think they'd have so much trouble with 60fps, and this is ND here.

so much for having 1080p/60fps be the standard this gen. at least for Ps4.

they made tlour 1080p/60fps and that was a port. this is a game built from the ground up for Ps4.

They can probably downgrade it to achieve 60fps, but that would mean messing with the artistic integrity they're going for with the game.

Skux

Then why even get our hopes up :(

Just say "targeting a smooth frame rate with no harsh drops" or something.

KorrZ

Pretty much no chance this is hitting 60. I'm fine with locked 30 though, just keep those visuals on point ND.

Any game with the budget to hire artists to back up the fidelity of assets expected of AAA games should never reach for 60fps. The fact is, everyone is going to be judging by how the game looks initially instead of sitting around talking about frames. Yes, the difference between 30 and 60 fps is easily noticed. No, it doesn't make up for the loss in visuals required to achieve it.

You don't magically unlock a framerate. You're using resources that could have been spent on something else.

Mikel1015

Banned
I don't get why they would parade 60 fps when TLOUR came out, saying it changes everything and that they can't go back, and then the first thing they do is go back.

Fbh

Good.

Lock at 30fps and go crazy with the graphics and setpieces.... this franchise gains more from that than 60fps

entremet

Why the 60FPS tease then?

Kinda annoying. I don't mind 30FPS, but stop teasing out 60FPS if that's not the target.

I was skeptical since the PS4 is very weak anyway, but I could dream :(

They can probably downgrade it to achieve 60fps, but that would mean messing with the artistic integrity they're going for with the game.

I'd rather no downgrades, but come on. Is it really because they've reached the limits of the Ps4 hardware?

at first they said this was because they did not want to compromise player experience. now they're saying they're having trouble doing it.

JordanN

Banned
Why the 60FPS tease then?

Kinda annoying. I don't mind 30FPS, but stop teasing out 60FPS if that's not the target.

I was skeptical since the PS4 is very weak anyway, but I could dream :(

None of their PS3 games were 60fps either so this doesn't make sense.

autoduelist

That's not how it works.

How about making 60fps a priority and remove some of the bells and whistles to achieve it?

The buying public obviously prefers bells and whistles. I know I do.

By 'bells and whistles' I mean: enemy count. draw distance. graphical fidelity. more dynamic environments (grass, etc), and such.

nib95

Banned
As I've said many times, I'd much rather them target a locked 30fps. Give me larger, more diverse, dynamic and open levels, more over the top set pieces, with all the added bells and whistles.

Ricky_R

I honestly think they really thought they could pull it off, but now they are having a hard time doing so.

I believe they're still targeting 60 and will release a statement if they reach a point where they know for sure that they can't.

I guess I'm being optimistic.

From Gameinformer's podcast with Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann:

Also, they decline to say if they're still targeting 60fps.

So, yeah. Probably not happening at this rate. They were just feeling themselves too much with that initial teaser, probably never should've said they were aiming for 60.

richard-sherman-gif.gif.pagespeed.ce.rBagCHAFU9x-f8311zhv.gif

Booshka

I'd prefer if most of these Action franchises kept the graphical fidelity of last gen, make it 1080p with better IQ and a rock solid 60FPS. Inching along goalposts for graphics at the cost of game performance and forever struggling to hit 30 FPS is annoying. It's a problem with the console market I guess, but if it's an action game, I'll take 60 FPS, the graphics from last gen Uncharted 2/3 were good enough to me.

LordOfChaos

Exactly...TLOU was made with last gen constraints in mind, it doesn't push the envelope as much as this obviously will. That makes the opposite argument as what I think you were saying. They just rendered that at a higher resolution, and so had plenty of horsepower left to do 60 on that, while Uncharted 4 is making use of the new grunt from the start.

JordanN

Banned
And the PS3 is the PS4? Far from it. Moreover, they actually wanted to aim for 60FPS. Read the OP. It's all there.

60fps has nothing to do with hardware.

Uncharted 4 could be 4k, 120fps if they wanted, but it would mean looking like a PS1 game.

After playing TLOU at 60fps I probably won't bother with Uncharted 4 if it's only 30fps. I wish they'd stick to 60fps especially after they claimed 30fps felt broken in TLOU after playing it at 60fps.

Fisty

Dont worry guys, they just want us to be totally surprised and respectful when they do hit 60fps... right? RIGHT?

*crickets*

Top Bottom