• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer's new Pachter interview

Castef

Banned
You can check it here.

Overall, nice interview. Regardless of what you think about Mr Pachter, he seems well into the videogame world, several answers are on-spot.

Just several excerpts:

About Xbox One / Playstation 4 rivalry:
"Being a console owner is like belonging to a church or a political party – that's who you are. You are an Xbot or you are a PlayStation fanboy. People weren't buying the Xbox One and clearly a bunch of people migrated to PS4 from Xbox 360 because they didn't want Kinect. So I think unbundling Kinect was the right idea. I'm not sure why Xbox didn't start outselling PlayStation right after they removed Kinect, because they didn't until they cut the price to $349 and started giving away free games."

About Nintendo and Wii U:
"I think that they are not a particularly introspective bunch. I think that they are still in denial about the Wii U failure. You keep seeing this stat so we're up 82 percent – yeah, 40,000 units went to 70,000 units. Who cares? You're still trailing the other guys by a mile."
[...]
"Wii 2 would have been a good name. [With] Wii U, people thought they were buying the GamePad for their Wii. Who didn't do their homework? "

Prediction about the next "dark horse" blockbuster game:
"The game I think looks the most interesting and novel in a conventional way is The Division. I think that game looks really fun and really cool. I think it looks like a really great game. That's the one if I would have to say it's going to surprise people with the upside. But again, I thought Grand Theft Auto III was going to sell 300,000 units."

What Patcher is describing as "Nintendo in denial" is just PR 101. Also, I guess I'm obligated to be a PS fanboy.

Always good for a laugh Mr. P.

oti

Banned
Interesting interview. I always enjoy reading Pachter's opinion, even if I don't agree with him often.

This quote though:

"I'm not sure why Xbox didn't start outselling PlayStation right after they removed Kinect, because they didn't until they cut the price to $349 and started giving away free games."

He's only talking about the U.S. here, right? Otherwise this doesn't make much sense.

cakely

Judging by the thread title, it looks like Pachter will have to wait a little longer for his life to be absolutely complete.

What Patcher is describing as "Nintendo in denial" is just PR 101.
Yeah, not sure what he expects them to say: "Whoops, sorry, Wii U is selling badly, don't expect 1st party support for it".
They just need to play it safe and using what they learned with the Wii U on the next platforms. (how to market it, improved HD development cycles, making customers happy, etc)
Iwata basically said as much that they plan on supporting the platform until the people who bought it are satisfied.
but yeah, the name and marketing is pretty bad.

"I'm not sure why Xbox didn't start outselling PlayStation right after they removed Kinect, because they didn't until they cut the price to $349 and started giving away free games."

bender.gif

It's because those of us that MS offended with their atrocious PR, arrogance and #dealwithit attitude already bought PS4s.

Welfare

About Nintendo and Wii U:
"I think that they are not a particularly introspective bunch. I think that they are still in denial about the Wii U failure. You keep seeing this stat so we're up 82 percent – yeah, 40,000 units went to 70,000 units. Who cares? You're still trailing the other guys by a mile."
[...]

I love this part.

SerTapTap

the most interesting and novel in a conventional way

*head explodes*

Overall, nice interview. Regardless of what you think about Mr Pachter, he seems well into the videogame world, several answers are on-spot.

Seriously though, you just added this to troll me didn't you? I swear he's been saying the XBox/PS4 thing and the Wii U think for like a year.

Like I said, they lack introspection. I think that starts with leadership. Iwata makes a lot of bad decisions. I think he surrounds himself with people who allow him to make these bad decisions. It starts at the top. I think he is not a good leader.

nAAzq9j.jpg

Duxxy3

No Pachter, just no.

Yeah I dunno about that either. I have an XB1, but there's a lot that I hate about the system, and Microsoft's policies. I don't have a PS4, anymore, but there's a lot that I really like about that system.

As soon as I have enough money I'll have both systems.

TomShoe

Banned
No Pachter, just no.

I'd have to agree with him on that point. With the amount of name-calling and ridiculing between both camps, there are similarities to political parties. The only difference is that in the "console wars," everyone wins to some extent.

endtropy

Neo Member
sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

JayEH

the only news here is that Game Informer is still in print!

lol is this for real? They're one of the biggest magazines in the U.S. and they get the biggest cover reveals. There's a thread here every month about it.

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, pa

1. You can't read satire like that in text
2. You made no attempt at it even being satire. So don't try to pull this.

Great job fostering the shitty, at each other's throats, competitionist attitude already rampant in gaming.

Jesus why would you stoke a fanboy fire like this.

Like I said, they lack introspection. I think that starts with leadership. Iwata makes a lot of bad decisions. I think he surrounds himself with people who allow him to make these bad decisions. It starts at the top. I think he is not a good leader.
So, pretty much the same shit that gets explained in Exposure: Inside the Olympus Scandal? Sounds about right.

KageMaru

Being a console owner is like belonging to a church or a political party – that's who you are. You are an Xbot or you are a PlayStation fanboy.

I wonder how many people really believe this. Whatever happened to being a fan of games and not strictly the hardware?

Kusagari

I love how Pachter contradicts himself in the same paragraph.

Owning a console is the same as belonging to a church or political party yet he admits that everyone easily abandoned MS for the PS4.

mclem

About Xbox One / Playstation 4 rivalry:
"Being a console owner is like belonging to a church or a political party – that's who you are. You are an Xbot or you are a PlayStation fanboy.

as7ee3u.jpg

When you're XBot
You're XBot all the way
From your first SuperHot
To Outlaw Golf: Holiday

Top Bottom