• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2014 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
l9jMFMB.png

Voting thread

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel 805
2. Whiplash 634
3. Gone Girl 519
4. Nightcrawler 467
5. Boyhood 459
6. Birdman 432
7. Interstellar 399
8. Guardians of the Galaxy 390
9. The Lego Movie 300
10. Edge of Tomorrow 293

11. The Raid 2 283
12. The Winter Soldier 272
13. Under The Skin 202
14. John Wick 201
15. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 166
16. Inherent Vice 156
17. Days of Future Past 144
18. The Imitation Game 119
19. The Guest 98
20. Locke 76
21. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 72
22. The Babadook 71
23. Snowpiercer 66
24. The Wind Rises 65
25. Two Days, One Night 62
26. Big Hero 6 59
27. Ida 57
28. Enemy 53
29. Calvary 52
30. Only Lovers Left Alive 47
31. Force Majeure 46
32. Godzilla 45
33. Pride 43
34. American Sniper 41
35. Frank 39
**. Selma 39
**. Jodorowsky's Dune 39
38. Life Itself 38
39. Chef 36
40. Foxcatcher 33
41. The Immigrant 28
**. Manakamana 28
43. What We Do In The Shadows 27
**. Wild 27
45. Fury 26
**. How to Train Your Dragon 2 26
47. Blue Ruin 25
48. Winter Sleep 24
49. Mommy 23
50. A Most Wanted Man 22
51. Listen Up Philip 21
52. Nymphomaniac 20
53. The Rover 19
**. The Interview 19
55. Predestination 17
56. The One I Love 15
**. The Theory of Everything 15
**. Short Term 12 15
**. Cold In July 15
60. The Skeleton Twins 13
**. 12 Years a Slave 13
**. Maps to the Stars 13
**. Borgman 13
64. 22 Jump Street 12
**. The Double 12
**. Like Father Like Son 12
**.They Came Together 12
**. '71 12
**. Wish I was Here 12
70. Leviathan  11
71. The Drop 10
**. The F Word 10
**. Why Don't You Play in Hell? 10
**. As Above, So Below 10
**. Norte, The End of History 10
**. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 10
77. Noah 9
**. We Are the Best! 9
**. A Most Violent Year 9
**. Dear White People 9
**. Ernest and Celestine 9
82. Starred Up 8
**. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 8
**. Goodbye to Language 3D 8
**. Her 8
**. Horse Money 8
**. Nebraska 8
**. Non Stop 8
**. The Past 8
**. The Tribe 8
**. Wild Tales 8
92. The Battle of the Five Armies 7
**. Equalizer 7
**. Stations of the Cross 7
**. 300 Rise of an Empire 7
**. Hard to be a God 7
**. Lone Survivor 7
**. No Tears For the Dead 7
**. The Zero Theorem 7
**. Tokyo Tribe 7

Top 20 by number of mentions

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel 115
2. Gone Girl 85
3. Whiplash 82
4. Nightcrawler 79
5. Boyhood 64
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 64
7. Interstellar 61
8. Birdman 59
9. Edge of Tomorrow 58
10. The Winter Soldier 50

11. The Lego Movie 48
12. The Raid 2 45
13. John Wick 37
14. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 37
15. Under The Skin 32
16. Days of Future Past 28
17. Inherent Vice 24
18. The Imitation Game 21
19. The Guest 20
20. Snowpiercer 17

* we had 164 lists. 9 less than the previous year.
* Budapest only got half as many #1 rankings as Whiplash, but dominated everywhere else.

Violet_0

Banned
Wes Anderson does it again
Grand Budapest Hotel is a well-deserved #1 imo, Nightcrawler is somewhat overrated (fantastic performance by Gyllenhaal, of course) and Lego Movie could be a bit higher

Toothless

Nice results, but Nightcrawler and Gone Girl over Boyhood and LEGO? Eh...

Still the top two are both absolutely phenomenal films and Interstellar isn't nearly as high as I feared. Good list!

Good list, pound for pound better than what the Academy nominated for BP

Would've been nice to have the Raid 2 get into the 10, but Edge of Tomorrow is pretty great as well.

Pleasantly surprised that Grand Budapest Hotel is no. 1, I had it 4th on my list, but a worthy case can be made for its spot.

For my money it's Wes Anderson's most complete film since the Royal Tenenbaums.

Moonrise Kingdom was really good for its first two acts, 2nd act in particular being the highlight, but I thought it faltered a bit in the last 15 minutes. The increasing of the stakes with the larger boy scout troup bit with Harvey Keitel, followed by the church climax was decent stuff, but not nearly as compelling as the first 75% of the movie.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was novel + I mostly dug it....but I don't think it reaches the heights of Anderson's best stuff (Rushmore, Tenenbaums, GBH, Bottle Rocket).
Having said that....I only watched it once and it lingers in my brain as something that I wonder if I would like even more on a rewatch.

Darjeeling was a lesser entry, still enjoyable, but I think the least interesting of his movies.

Life Acquatic feels like his most flawed movie....but I think even in it's shortcomings it's more interesting than Darjeeling.

Rushmore remains his best, but I loved the Grand Budapest Hotel.

List warz -
Rushmore >> Bottle Rocket > Royal Tenenbaums/Grand Budapest Hotel >>>>
Moonrise Kingdom > Fantastic Mr. Fox >>>>>>>>Life Aquatic > the Darjeeling Limited

overcast

I should have voted, would have put Boyhood at 1 :[ Still, pretty decent list all things considered.

Fucking work last day blocking me.

The only differences to my list (ignoring order) were What We Do In The Shadows and Big Hero 6 out and Nightcrawler and Whiplash in. I can live with that.

big ander

Nightcrawler being as high as it is is the surprise to me, I thought it was a bit more contentious than that.
List warz -
Rushmore >> Bottle Rocket > Royal Tenenbaums/Grand Budapest Hotel >>>>
Moonrise Kingdom > Fantastic Mr. Fox >>>>>>>>Life Aquatic > the Darjeeling Limited
Rushmore > Fantastic Mr. Fox > Grand Budapest Hotel > Royal Tenenbaums > Moonrise Kingdom > Darjeeling Limited > Bottle Rocket > Life Aquatic
I get why a lot of people don't like Darjeeling Limited it's...probably his most grating and graceless. It's also kinda racist? I just think the brother relationship is drawn really well.
Edge of Tomorrow made top 10? must of been a bad year for movies.
good movie. also must have

Moonkid

Disappointed The Raid 2 didn't crack the Top 10 but it's still a great placing.
Edge of Tomorrow made top 10? must of been a bad year for movies.
I enjoyed it more than Nightcrawler and Whiplash, and not just because it's an action movie either.

Red Comet

Of the top 10, and of those nominated for Best Picture Academy Awards for that matter, I've only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman. Both excellent movies in their own right though. I'll have to check out some of GAF's other recommendations.

I get why a lot of people don't like Darjeeling Limited it's...probably his most grating and graceless. It's also kinda racist? I just think the brother relationship is drawn really well.

Yeah I still mostly liked Darjeeling, brother dynamic was nicely sewed in, I remember digging it more than the disappointing Life Aquatic.

But Life Aquatic has stayed in my mind more since, a more interesting mess I guess.
I've caught bits and pieces of it since + something about it intrigues me a little more.
That's my illogical, arbitrary reason for giving it a slight edge at this point.

I'm due for a rewatch of Darjeeling as I haven't seen it since the theater.

I do remember loving Hotel Chevalier and listening to the Darjeeling soundtrack back then.

CassSept

Even though I did not like Grand Budapest Hotel that much, I can appreciate why so many people enjoyed it and hold it in high regard, it was a great movie.

Really solid picks.

Wabba

Thats a solid list, some picks that i wouldn't have there, but still i understand why people love them.

Mr. Sam

Not the worst top ten, though it only shares three of the films that made mine (and in reverse order).

Pleasantly surprised to see Grand Budapest Hotel take the top spot.

If I live to be a hundred, I'll not understand the appeal of Edge of Tomorrow. Woefully acted, immensely dull movie. It has an interesting premise (i.e. Groundhog Day meets Resistance) but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

People really liked Gone Girl that much? The final act ruined the film for me.

Other than that, the rest of the top 10 is solid.

hiex_

Banned
Thanks for putting all this together, really cool.

I'm salty my number one wasn't everyone else's number one though, harumph. How dare you have opinions.

Wow Locke got #20

Ok it had story, but it was a podcast/radio play/audiobook masquerading as a movie ... it was so un-cinematic it was anti-cinematic. I only watched until the end to see just how much of the movie would be Hardy driving on a motorway talking on his phone, not quite believing it would be all of it ...

Would anyone who really liked it like to say why?

Wiktor

Damn...didn't see even one movie in top5. But I guess that's what I get for limiting myself pretty much soley to big spectacles :D

GamerJM

Banned
Yeah I will say that I don't think Edge of Tomorrow is top 10 material. That movie is generally the sort of thing I love, too (Guardians is probably my favorite movie of the year), but it just didn't do anything too interesting or original imo, and nothing really stood out or seemed memorable. It was alright though, perfectly enjoyable.

big ander

Oh yeah thanks to CFK for taking on the task.
Thanks for doing the thing, CFK.

Pretty decent top 10. Too bad GAF doesn't like foreign films.
Yeeaaah it's always a little too u.s.-centric. oh well.
Yeah I will say that I don't think Edge of Tomorrow is top 10 material. That movie is generally the sort of thing I love, too (Guardians is probably my favorite movie of the year), but it just didn't do anything too interesting or original imo, and nothing really stood out or seemed memorable. It was alright though, perfectly enjoyable.
pretty memorable I think:
tumblr_n6w47zMZ8r1qzgcxao1_500.gif

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I actually really like that Top Ten. At first I was pissed that Winter Soldier didn't make it, but I don't know what you take out to put it on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom