• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Momentary

Banned
I can't believe I was getting so frustrated with the controls of this game. I felt like the vehicles were just uncontrollable. Now I just can't get enough of it. The sweet thing is that every car is like a new experience. So awesome.

Only thing with the game is that it just doesn't look that great compared to other racers.

234630_2015-05-09_00004_zpsp6c5hi8y.png~original

Jaggies everywhere.

Mascot

The missus caught me looking at the included Playseat flyer and almost took my head off. Not buying one. Yet.

Do it, Dave. Fund it with one of those mountain bikes you no longer use. Your G27 demands it!

A proper racing cockpit is the best thing I ever bought. I did get a cracking deal on it ex-demo from a games shop (£300 total for the Forza 3 version Playseat with shifter mount, official floor mat, integral TV stand, G27 wheel, pedals and shifter, Sony amp, sub and surround sound speakers, a 32" Sharp HDTV, and a copy of Shift 2) but before that I had this ghetto rig that I knocked together from some old melamine chipboard and some of those spin on/off adjustable kitchen-counter legs that were being thrown away at work. It was fine in the olden days, really stable, and packed away flat in a couple of minutes:

1.jpg

041005028a25.jpg

Maybe get your tools out and rattle something similar off?

No matter the settings the cars refuse to steer. They understeer even at slow speeds and I swear I don't suck at racing sims I've played them all my life but this game is making me go crazy.

Do you play with a controller?
I haven't tried it with a controller but it seems pretty realistic to me with a wheel, definitely had major oversteer moments. Have you tried a track toy car like the Ariel Atom 500 V8 or the Caterham R500, still understeer?
What I mean is, is it that you can't turn in enough even though you have enough grip or does the CAR understeer as in "the front wheels point in the right direction, but the car doesn't follow and goes wide"?

Is this a thing in general for people playing with a controller in this game? Do you get understeer too often? Is the speed-sensitive-steering fucked in this game?

Edit:
[...]but before that I had this ghetto rig that I knocked together from some old melamine chipboard and some of those spin on/off adjustable kitchen-counter legs that were being thrown away at work. It was fine in the olden days, really stable, and packed away flat in a couple of minutes:

Maybe get your tools out and rattle something similar off?

These foldable "racing stands" are not bad either, steady and packed away really fast. Some hate the shaft in the middle between your legs though. Personally I don't mind it at all.

Momentary

Banned
This is the first racing game that has me wanting to buy a steering wheel and some kind of seat.

I'm so ignorant to what's out there. I was looking at RSEAT and PLAYSEAT, but I don't know what to choose from, and as for steering wheels it seems like G27 is the best bet for PC. Again, I don't know anything about this stuff... I only know Arcade sticks.

Is this a thing in general for people playing with a controller in this game? Do you get understeer too often? Is the speed-sensitive-steering fucked in this game?

I'm using a controller at the moment and it took some getting used to, but now I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. But... I know deep down inside that this game would be a whole other experience with a wheel and proper seating.

Hip Hop

Anybody doing triple monitors?

What FOV settings do you recommend across the board?

Currently have everything set to 120, but maybe someone out there has something different.

Haunted

Any game with any sort of motorsport aspiration already manages to score points just by putting a sufficient number of cars on track. 20 cars is a proper race, all of these "6/8 cars max" arcade games can fuck right off.

ValfarHL

Loved ISR back in the day with Darin, Shaun and Jessica. But at times it seemed like they didn't really get on. Then Darin started working for Fanatec and I didn't like the potential for bias.

Darin is using a Thrustmaster wheel in this video, so it should all be good. It has some very interesting info on lots of settings, so I really recommend it.

Ryökäle

Neo Member
Is there any kind of GAF league being planned for the PC? Also would there be people interested in some short Clio races today in a few hours (PC)?

Helznicht

I can't believe I was getting so frustrated with the controls of this game. I felt like the vehicles were just uncontrollable. Now I just can't get enough of it. The sweet thing is that every car is like a new experience. So awesome.

Only thing with the game is that it just doesn't look that great compared to other racers.

Jaggies everywhere.

Compared to what? Try Downsampling with smoothing.

I liked Gran Turismo 3 when I was younger, but do find that sims tend to get too repetitive for me because they kind of feel lifeless. Forza 2 had that issue, and I can't play it, but the 4th and 5th ones were better.

I'm more into arcade racing, though this looks neat.

Think it'd appeal to me?

Lettuce

Seriously what the hell is up with the handling of the karts its complete dog shit!, they dont seem to have any characteristics of real life karts at all, for a start they seem to have a turning circle of a submarine or even slide the cards. Have have an issue now and again where the XB1 pad doesn't seem to response if turn the stick all the way to the right the wheels seem to stay left

SliChillax

Do you play with a controller?
I haven't tried it with a controller but it seems pretty realistic to me with a wheel, definitely had major oversteer moments. Have you tried a track toy car like the Ariel Atom 500 V8 or the Caterham R500, still understeer?
What I mean is, is it that you can't turn in enough even though you have enough grip or does the CAR understeer as in "the front wheels point in the right direction, but the car doesn't follow and goes wide"?

The wheel doesn't turn enough, I know what makes cars understeer but this is not the case. I'm trying going into corners slowly even with cars like the Atom it feels like I'm controlling a truck. The wheel movement is slow and it's impossible to make quick movements in case of oversteer to correct it no matter how slow. I never had problems like these with all the racing sims that I've played, hell even Shift 2 is far easier to steer. I've tried most of the controller configurations posted in this thread but now I just refuse to play it. Good thing I'm playing it at a friend's computer since I would have regretted purchasing the game at this moment. The physics don't feel right when the cars hit the curbs either, there's something off in the suspension physics of the cars that was also present in Shift. In case of oversteer or hitting curbs the cars wobble like boats getting moved in heavy waves. I'll wait for the patches before I buy it.

ValfarHL

Seriously what the hell is up with the handling of the karts its complete dog shit!, they dont seem to have any characteristics of real life karts at all, for a start they seem to have a turning circle of a submarine or even slide the cards. Have have an issue now and again where the XB1 pad doesn't seem to response if turn the stick all the way to the right the wheels seem to stay left

My karts can turn 90 degrees on a penny.. What system/wheel are you using?

Lettuce

XB1 and a pad, seems to have a weird effect as well when you go on the rumble strips (which slows you down) and as soon as you off them you get catapulted forward.....im starting to wonder if somehow i have a dud version of the game or something!. I just seem to have to almost come to a crawl to take a corner and then when i do start to turn the turning circle is so large that im having to break again mid corner so i make the corner, this just isnt like real karting at all you should be able to come in fast stamp the breaks and then turn tightly whist sliding around the corner...atm im just unable to do this with the kart being very jitter and not ver responsive

XB1 and a pad, seems to have a weird effect as well when you go on the rumble strips (which slows you down) and as soon as you off them you get catapulted forward.....im starting to wonder if somehow i have a dud version of the game or something!. I just seem to have to almost come to a crawl to take a corner and then when i do start to turn the turning circle is so large that im having to break again mid corner so i make the corner, this just isnt like real karting at all you should be able to come in fast stamp the breaks and then turn tightly whist sliding around the corner...atm im just unable to do this with the kart being very jitter and not ver responsive
Had the exact same experience with an XB1 pad on PC. The karts are just not fun to drive because of it.

Anyone else having problems with the controller settings on PC? Every time I change from my wheel to my controller, the settings are reset to default.

Also, is there a way to use the wheel (G25) and keyboard simultaneously? It's annoying to map everything to the wheel.

GHG

Heads up to the PC players (especially with AMD since i have no idea if this impacts others as well) there's a 15fps difference between keeping the HUD on screen or not

HUD ON

HUD OFF

Might wanna play with HUD off until the patch / drivers comes lol

It's probably just the rear view mirror. Try just removing that and seeing if it has the same effect.

Hedrush

I think the karts are great. Superkarts are even better. They take a good few laps and a little tweaking before your dialled in but once you hit that sweet spot they're a joy to drive.

EBreda

So how is tHruetmaster tx 458 on the Xbox?
Has anyone tried it yet? DoeS it need additional setup or is everything right from the start? How does it feel?

I'm starting to get a little bit worried over here.

Hip Hop

Heads up to the PC players (especially with AMD since i have no idea if this impacts others as well) there's a 15fps difference between keeping the HUD on screen or not

HUD ON

HUD OFF

I tried it running a GTX 670, no difference in FPS before or during the race.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can't wait until some really professional car set ups start emerging. As much as I love this game I can't help but feel like the cars are skating on ice a little bit when I initiate a turn or passing maneuvre. Hard to explain.

Jaggies everywhere.

That's alright, we're not even 2 years into the consoles life. Forza 2 didn't look great either and look how awesome that looked at the end of the generation.

Skyzard

Banned
It's impossible with a controller though.

Hmm I've been using a controller...has been quite hard even on non-karting tracks. Not tooooo bad though I'm not advanced enough to know what it's holding back (beginner with karts really).

I decreased steering sensitivity and increased speed sensitivity. Decreased braking sensitivity and set most deadzones to 5%.

So far got 2minutes 45secs in Azure Coast Stage 1 with 250cc kart, sp and racing with ai.

Ryökäle

Neo Member

HUD ON

HUD OFF

Doesn't happen with GTX770, so it might only happen with AMD cards.

_machine

No difference in fps for me either with a 280X and i920.

Oh and I relayed the wishes of having external sounds in onboard view and sliders for different sounds, and they are looking into the possibility of adding those in a future patch :)

T.O.P

Banned
No difference in fps for me either with a 280X and i920.

Oh and I relayed the wishes of having external sounds in onboard view and sliders for different sounds, and they are looking into the possibility of adding those in a future patch :)
this is freakin weird

r290x here and the gain in fps it's big

Educated guess? The game is out in EU and restricting the car count and weather is an easy way to ensure a fully locked 60 fps on PS4.
I'm afraid that isn't the case.

I'm getting a lot of drops and tearing with even less opponents than that. Though some courses are OK, but some are bad, California and Azure notably.

It doesn't really affect gameplay for me, it just an annoyance.

Hip Hop

this is really werid (did you do it through the main menu tho? in game it's not the same), also tried to turn off the rear mirror only, and the HUD still eats my fps

oh,

I did it in game. I'll see later if it makes a difference through the menus.

The wheel doesn't turn enough, I know what makes cars understeer but this is not the case. I'm trying going into corners slowly even with cars like the Atom it feels like I'm controlling a truck. The wheel movement is slow and it's impossible to make quick movements in case of oversteer to correct it no matter how slow. I never had problems like these with all the racing sims that I've played, hell even Shift 2 is far easier to steer. I've tried most of the controller configurations posted in this thread but now I just refuse to play it. Good thing I'm playing it at a friend's computer since I would have regretted purchasing the game at this moment. The physics don't feel right when the cars hit the curbs either, there's something off in the suspension physics of the cars that was also present in Shift. In case of oversteer or hitting curbs the cars wobble like boats getting moved in heavy waves. I'll wait for the patches before I buy it.

I feel like I'm not getting many of the points in your post. So you ARE playing with an FFB-wheel, I hope I got that right (because you also say "controller configurations").

The wheel movement is slow and it's impossible to make quick movements in case of oversteer to correct it no matter how slow.
You mean the wheel on screen doesn't match your physical wheel's rotation fast enough? You can calibrate your wheel in the options, then it always matches perfectly for me.
If you want to make super-sudden, but small inputs of correction, that you feel get lost in "smoothing" maybe try a higher "steering sensitivity".

Somehow I still feel like I've gotten you wrong and you play with a gamepad/controller and your problem is that the speed-sensitive turning circle is too wide, no matter how slow you drive to make it smaller (turn-in more with the stick all the way in one direction).

@Everyone with an FFB-wheel, who hasn't tried it yet, try adding/adjusting the SoP setting, but not as gentle as Darin from Inside Sim Racing does it in his video:

https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY?t=18m4s

try playing with the SoP settings! (by default all of these are off/set to 0)
Try SoP-scale 100
lateral 50,
differential 100

this will give you more of the standard FFB-feel that gives you information about the chassis-movement and how close you are to make the rear/car fly off. It changes the feel fundamentally!
Whether you like it in the end or not, I think everyone should give it a try.

Top Bottom