• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

platina

Oh lawd, you need to back that ass up on this now... let's see the reasons that the IQ is not as good. List them.

It looks better due to a superior skin shader and not the plastic doll look.

Don't tell me you are one of those who easily gets fooled by over sharpness equalling superior image quality?
uncompressed gameplay png vs a jpeg screenshot from the e3 2014 trailer from Frank Tzeng's portfolio.
There is visible hair dithering.
yfCmF5.png

oSgewZ.png

YipSi5.jpg

The gameplay shot is closer to the camera than the 2014 one. In theory it should have better iq but look at the hair, look at the micro details.

In regards to skin shading
rYAh9w.png

JSfMy0.jpg

Which honestly looks better and more realistic to you?

edit:
arm hair in reveal trailer:
zW3rYE.gif

QV6KvN.png

4jMAB9.jpeg

Portugeezer

uncompressed gameplay png vs a jpeg screenshot from the e3 2014 trailer from Frank Tzeng's portfolio.

The gameplay shot is closer to the camera than the 2014 one. In theory it should have better iq but look at the hair, look at the micro details.

Same lighting and camera angles. Great comparison.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I love it when trolling backfires. It's the same level of detail but with different lighting. Seems like they wanted him less wet for reason in the final too. People can't seem to discern the difference between creative changes and actuall detail removal. It's like those people that buy TVs in Best Buy because it's in torch mode and the sharpness it cranked up.

I personally think the release version looks better in terms of sub-surface scattering on the skin. In the OG one more detail is visible on his face but his skin looks more like drywall than human skin.

As for people thinking it was impossible for the reveal to be realtime at 60fps, the scene was 90% Drake by himself and some water and sand in a very dark scene. Absolutely doable, but the actual game also has a full environment and gives you gameplay control over Drake in the similar scene.\

We've already seen screenshots from cutscenes with the lighting and shaders looking as good or better than the reveal.

Septic360

Banned
Uncharted looks incredible and is possibly one of the most stunning, if not the best looking title out there.

But FFS, at least acknowledge that people were misled here and actually believed that this was in game.

I've got some kid PM'ing me on another gaming site in complete denial about it all.

Ultimately, its not really a big deal because the game looks great but yeah, not like the e3 2014 teaser. That much is obvious.

To me the E3 2014 pic is clearly better but holy crap, are we seriously doing this? We have a shitload of reviews saying this is the best looking game ever, one even said it's as if ND had access to next gen hardware already and the gameplay videos released so far look absolutely fabulous.

Plenty of games end up being slightly downgraded and if it happened here too, it really won't ruin your experience I'm sure. Personally I've always thought the first trailer looked too good to be true, but even then, judging by these pics they got it quite close.

nib95

Banned
Uncharted looks incredible and is possibly one of the most stunning, if not the best looking title out there.

But FFS, at least acknowledge that people were misled here and actually believed that this was in game.

I've got some kid PM'ing me on another gaming site in complete denial about it all.

Ultimately, its not really a big deal because the game looks great but yeah, not like the e3 2014 teaser. That much is obvious.

Thing is though, I suspect the downgrade is actually because they're now using the same model in cutscenes as gameplay, when instead back then, they likely had a separate model for cutscene and gameplay, the former being the one showed off in the reveal snippet, which after all was a cutscene.

I honestly think the skin looks better on the retail version. The hair does look a bit downgraded, and its still a shame about the framerate (perhaps NEO will fix it?) but overall it looks pretty damn close to reveal!

yfCmF5.png

oSgewZ.png

YipSi5.jpg

rYAh9w.png

JSfMy0.jpg

We all know which one looks better:

hLtBzjT.jpg

See? I can do this too!

gamerMan

I believe there is a character model viewer in the game. I want to see how it compares to the E3 2014 "realtime" Drake model when you zoom in close.
bMUNz7T.jpg

yfCmF5.png

oSgewZ.png

YipSi5.jpg

rYAh9w.png

JSfMy0.jpg

tumblr_m6t9r2CKYx1rwsd7jo1_500.gif

Necro900

yfCmF5.png

oSgewZ.png

YipSi5.jpg

rYAh9w.png

JSfMy0.jpg

edit:
arm hair in reveal trailer:
zW3rYE.gif

QV6KvN.png

4jMAB9.jpeg

zViO8R.jpg

Playsage

Uncharted 4 was downgraded to the point that its status inside the industry changed from "upcoming game with potential best graphics on the market" to "game with the best graphics on the market"

Unacceptable!

K' Dash

Wow, a lot of salty paople, we already knew the game wouldn't be close to the trailer in the visuals department...

It's Killzone 2 all over again.

nib95

Banned
Not saying they matched it, I don't think they did. But even in worse lighting, with worse highlights, no wet shader etc, the gameplay model (not cutscene like with the reveal) is still incredible.

m9aXZs5.jpg~original

qP4LVsV.jpg~original

K' Dash

Not saying they matched it, I don't think they did. But even in worse lighting, with worse highlights, no wet shader etc, the gameplay model (not cutscene like with the reveal) is still incredible.

m9aXZs5.jpg~original

qP4LVsV.jpg~original

It does look good, is this really the in game model?

The Naughty Gods must have really overestimated the PS4 considering the top pic was also at 60FPS.

If anything they overestimated their time budget.
What happened here is that they polished a short part of the game to have it running at 1080p 60FPS on Ps4 and later noticed that they don't have the time to optimize every last segment of the game to that level, so they decided on 30FPS.

Its neither a lie nor a downgrade, its just that they didn't have the ressources to make every part of the look and run as good as the teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom