• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Willow’ Sequel Series Officially a Go at Disney Plus, Jon M. Chu to Direct

ManaByte

Gold Member

Disney Plus has confirmed a sequel series taking place years after the events of the original Ron Howard-directed pic is heading into production next year. Howard is returning to the project as executive producer alongside original star Warwick Davis, who will once again play the titular hero Willow Ufgood.

The series has also tapped “Crazy Rich Asians” and “In the Heights” director Jon M. Chu to helm the pilot and exec produce. Jonathan Kasdan (“Solo”) and Wendy Mericle (“Arrow”) will serve as showrunners.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
AAAHHHH
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS
THIS WAS THE SINGLE THING THAT COULD GET ME TO SUBSCRIBE TO DISNEY+!
And my promise will be kept. I am going to become a Disney+ subscriber, for Willow.

Grinchy

Banned
I never saw this movie. The only reason I know of its existence is because of the awesome comedy show called Life's Too Short with Warwick Davis in it.

Last edited:

JayK47

I love Willow and I am certain they will not match the quality of the original. You just can't make anything today that is as good as older movies made before everything offended everyone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Willing to bet that Willow will be a bumbling fool sidelined by a strong female dwarf.

Also, Legend was a far better 80's fantasy film. Get Tom Cruise back for a sequel.

Well that's better that Lucas' shitty sequel trilogy he made Chris Claremont write for him.

ZehDon

With Disney running the show, I think the questions shift from “will it be good?” to “... ok, how bad is it gonna fuck the original?”. Good luck to the cast and crew - I have zero faith this won’t be a dumpster fire.

Birdo

Banned
legends was a fucking borefest

Okay, it's a bit slow in places. But look at it!

PIC-14-6.gif

0e2b5fab5ff020bd66fa5afebbac418e.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I love Willow and I am certain they will not match the quality of the original. You just can't make anything today that is as good as older movies made before everything offended everyone.
You ever seen The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance? I actually thought that one was a big step up from the original film. A shame Netflix cancelled it. Not a surprise, I know Netflix will kill anything that doesn't instantly become a cultural phenomenon, but a shame.
There are two fanedits of The Dark Crystal (The Darker Crystal & The Dark Crystal: Director's Cut Restored) that attempt to restore the original vision of the film, using audio (& footage, in the second edit's case) from the workprint cut. Pretty swell things.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You ever seen The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance? I actually thought that one was a big step up from the original film. A shame Netflix cancelled it. Not a surprise, I know Netflix will kill anything that doesn't instantly become a cultural phenomenon, but a shame.
There are two fanedits of The Dark Crystal (The Darker Crystal & The Dark Crystal: Director's Cut Restored) that attempt to restore the original vision of the film, using audio (& footage, in the second edit's case) from the workprint cut. Pretty swell things.

Cancelling Dark Crystal makes no damned sense. They already have all the puppets and sets, how expensive could another season be? I loved that damned show and love the movie, even if they don't really jive together that well.

What would a Willow series even be? Just a longer retelling of the movie as Willow learns to use the wand? Or the continuing tales of Mad Martigan? I guess it might serve as a counter point to the LOTR series on amazon and Witcher on Netflix for the younger crowd but I hope they putin at least Mandalorian level effort into it.

"Jon Kasdan and Wendy Mericle have added such groundbreaking new characters and delightful surprises to this timeless story that I can’t wait for the world to come along on this epic journey with us.”
"with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy on board as an EP "

I love Willow...but temper your excitement

Cancelling Dark Crystal makes no damned sense. They already have all the puppets and sets, how expensive could another season be? I loved that damned show and love the movie, even if they don't really jive together that well.

What would a Willow series even be? Just a longer retelling of the movie as Willow learns to use the wand? Or the continuing tales of Mad Martigan? I guess it might serve as a counter point to the LOTR series on amazon and Witcher on Netflix for the younger crowd but I hope they putin at least Mandalorian level effort into it.

It takes place years later.....its not hard to make a new story, the world we know from Willow is all we know of the world from willow ( except those really terrible edgier then thou chris claremoint novels which are being thankfully discarded). You could do anything..as long as it retains that sense of adventure and lightheartedness from the original and it isnt ruined by sticking in random millenial woke monologues or very out of place character personalities that belong in an american college dorm.

Savage, didn't know it was cancelled. Willow would be awesome. I said in a different thread recently that Labyrinth will be next. Those three are the big three when I think of weird fantasy action movies of the 80s.

Arkam

Sweet. It would have been better to see this 15 years ago but I'll take it. Can I get a Labyrinth sequel next, please?
15? More like 30 years ago. As much as I LOVE Willow.... making a sequel now is such a lame idea. Are these “creative” companies seriously out of ideas and have to keep scrapping the bottom of the nostalgia barrel?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Savage, didn't know it was cancelled. Willow would be awesome. I said in a different thread recently that Labyrinth will be next. Those three are the big three when I think of weird fantasy action movies of the 80s.
Oh man, the Labyrinth sequel's been in development for about four years now. Right now Scott Derickson's attached to direct, but who knows how many times we'll switch directors before the thing finally moves forward. Meanwhile the Willow series was discussed on the set of Solo, they got a writer's room about a year ago, and landed the greenlight just two years after Solo. Hurry up, Labyrinth.

While I like to be positive in general, these days almost any new show and almost definitely any revival of a classic franschise is going to be woke as hell and likely low in quality.

I expect Willow will have to train up the new generation and will have one gifted strong female student who easily outpaces him after the first 30 minutes. He will then be sidelined and a bumbling idiot the rest of the film. Double bonus points if she is a minority.

Also expect a strangely larger number of multi ethnic characters making up the populations of the world with not a mention of it in comparison to the original film. Extra bonus points if it just heavy handedly preaches to the audience and beats them over the head with whatever political point they want to make. Expect lots of evil white men (tm)

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
While I like to be positive in general, these days almost any new show and almost definitely any revival of a classic franschise is going to be woke as hell and likely low in quality.

I expect Willow will have to train up the new generation and will have one gifted strong female student who easily outpaces him after the first 30 minutes. He will then be sidelined and a bumbling idiot the rest of the film. Double bonus points if she is a minority.

Also expect a strangely larger number of multi ethnic characters making up the populations of the world with not a mention of it in comparison to the original film. Extra bonus points if it just heavy handedly preaches to the audience and beats them over the head with whatever political point they want to make. Expect lots of evil white men (tm)
Yeah, I just don’t even care anymore. Fuck hollywood.

Top Bottom