• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In July (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

The act of killing is a given.
Maybe i'l give The Hunt a shot, though it looks like a film solely resting on Mads' shoulders.
Pacific Rim looks colorful and fun.
I'll give Only God Forgives a shot, too.

The rest do not catch my interest, i watched the trailer for both Black Fish and Way way back, didn't find either compelling in the slightest.

As a rule, the only movies I ever see in theaters are films that benefit from huge screen sizes and killer sound systems, so, tentatively, Pacific Rim it is. A few of the others listed are rentals only.

B33

Banned
lmao as if conjuring isn't trash too. james wan sucks ass brah.

when's the world's end coming to north america.
I don't think James Wan has an unvarnished track record. But that doesn't mean The Conjuring looks abysmal. Have you seen it by any chance?

The World's End debuts in the U.S. on August 23, 2013.

Violet_0

Banned
Only God Forgives is the one I'm definitely going to watch, I'll try to catch The Act of Killing and The Hunt as they both look fantastic
e: and Pacific Rim, of course

Blader

Only God Forgives was my most anticipated of the year since Drive was my favorite movie of 2011, but reviews have tempered my expectations a bit. Still excited though. Does VOD include Amazon?

Also checking out Pacific Rim, The Act of Killing, Blue Jasmine, and The Wolverine.

ezekial45

Banned
Only Pacific Rim and Only God Forgives this month. Though The Act of Killing sounds very, very intriguing. It doesn't sound like a documentary at all. Is it like a mix between drama and real life events?

Already seen Only God Forgives :D

Pacific Rim, obviously. Already booked IMAX tickets for the family.

Might need to head into central London to check out The Act of Killing, looks it might be mindblowing. A bit of a Man Bites Dog vibe, but it's real.

For UK dudes, A Field in England is the first British movie to have simultaneous home/TV/cinema release on Friday 5th July.

ioLnPiPHOT7fa.gif

Looks very intriguing.

Pacific Rim is the only definite theatrical trip for me.

Only God Forgives and The Hunt are of interest. Theater or rental, I'm not sure.

As a rule, the only movies I ever see in theaters are films that benefit from huge screen sizes and killer sound systems, so, tentatively, Pacific Rim it is. A few of the others listed are rentals only.

Only God Forgives is worth seeing in the cinema. Great audiovisual experience.

did you post thoughts on this? ... and there it is.

Yeah, in other places so here it is:

Bangkok has a very direct way of dealing justice.

It's a head trip. Very pure, artistic, crime "thing" (hesitate to call it a drama or thriller, it's only really comparable to other Refn movies like Valhalla Rising). Absolutely worth seeing on the big screen if you get the chance for the impeccable neon-laden cinematography, doom-laden synthy/oriental Cliff Martinez greatness (a hallway scene is straight up 70's sci-fi horror music), and getting to see all that glorious violence in gut-wrenching detail. Some of it made me wince and squirm in my seat.

Refn has got a master handle on tension, there's more of those Drive "gunshots at pawnshop" type moments here. The violence is not prolonged (except for an amazing torture sequence), it's punctuated at just the right moments to keep each of them memorable. That sword, boy does it get some work.

Some people might say it's style over substance, but I got more out of it than just a pretty audiovisual experience. It's not quite a revenge thing, or a sweeping crime drama, it's very 1-on-1 but with different characters on both sides. It's about cutting the line of violence, with Julian caught in the middle.
Very much a Greek tragedy feel. No one will forgive his neutral role in this war between the police and the gangsters

Lone Ranger was...aiight.

could have easily cut out about an hour of this film. good chemistry between the leads and their scenes together were enjoyable. but it drags.

best looking blockbuster you'll see this summer though, some lovely shots in here. i hope verbinksi keeps getting work, he just needs to work with different writers and needs a new editor badly.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Going have a double feature of Before Midnight/Only God Forgives sometime this month in the city. Really looking forward to it.;)

At the very least, I'm seeing Pacific Rim in advance local. On top of that, I'll go down to watch Only God Forgives and Fruitvale Station, among other things.

Synopsis: A documentary that challenges former Indonesian death squad leaders to reenact their real-life mass-killings in whichever cinematic genres they wish, including classic Hollywood crime scenarios and lavish musical numbers.

tumblr_mdta80tK9r1rol1w1.gif

Platy

No Pacific Rim for me !

....because my country sux for movie dates =(

Just saw Monsters University.
Going for Star Trek 2, Man of Steel and HOPEFULLY Mood Indigo this month =/

I generally don't like to see horror movies in a theater because I'm a pansy like that, but I so want to see The Conjuring when it comes out. Seeing that hide and go seek/clapping scene during NYCC last year was amazing with the audience.

Others for the month:

Despicable Me 2 - Saw it on Tuesday, after some thought I still think it's a bit disappointing compared to the first. I really wanted to see more of the characters and not just Gru. But it was still a good movie
The Lone Ranger - Very low expectations to go to it, but I might be seeing it with the family soon anyway.
Pacific Rim - I'll probably see it within a week after coming out, unless it gets bad reviews all around.
R.I.P.D. - This looks like a fun movie, didn't hear anything about this until last week.
The Wolverine - Another movie I'll have low expectations going to, but I hope I'll be surprised. But I have a feeling I won't

lupinko

I'll watch Blue Jasmine, Red 2 for Lee Byung Hun, Pacific Rim is an IMAX freebie for me, and maybe the Sam Rockwell movie.

Oh right if it's this month, then The To Do List also.

Love these threads, always some interesting titles that I've never heard of :)

Not a big fan of The Hunt - it felt to predictable to me, like a story I had seen before, and the rest of the movie (editing, acting, etc.) was ok.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
So far, this is what I have seen at the cinema in July:

Now You See Me - 5th July
The Internship - 9th July
Pacific Rim - 12 July
Monsters University - 16th July
The Bling Ring - 19th July
The World's End - 19th July
NTL Macbeth - 20th July

linsivvi

So far, this is what I have seen at the cinema in July:

Now You See Me - 5th July
The Internship - 9th July
Pacific Rim - 12 July
Monsters University - 16th July
The Bling Ring - 19th July
The World's End - 19th July
NTL Macbeth - 20th July

How's the Bling Ring? Is it as bad as some of the reviews said?

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
How's the Bling Ring? Is it as bad as some of the reviews said?

I enjoyed it, it has it flaws, but I still think it's worth checking out. Emma Watson is really good in it, though she is more a supporting character. I liked the way it was shot, felt like it was shot on a DSLR, though I guess it was shot on a Red Camera.

linsivvi

I enjoyed it, it has it flaws, but I still think it's worth checking out. Emma Watson is really good in it, though she is more a supporting character. I liked the way it was shot, felt like it was shot on a DSLR, though I guess it was shot on a Red Camera.

Good to hear. Going to have to wait a while for it to come out here though.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
The act of killing is a given.
Maybe i'l give The Hunt a shot, though it looks like a film solely resting on Mads' shoulders.
Pacific Rim looks colorful and fun.
I'll give Only God Forgives a shot, too.

The rest do not catch my interest, i watched the trailer for both Black Fish and Way way back, didn't find either compelling in the slightest.

I watched The Hunt on blu-ray the other night and thought it was brilliant, do check it out.

smr00

Banned
I watched Only God Forgives last night on-demand, watched The Hunt awhile back.

Only movie on the list i plan on seeing soon is Pacific Rim, waiting for school to start so i can see it on a weekday morning without all the loud mouth people who check their phones every 10 seconds.

lunchtoast

Heard a good review this morning from Spill on The To Do List, but closest theater playing it is 40 minutes away... This movie will probably get a web release sooner rather than later I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom