• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See In October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KING GODARD IS BACK TO TEACH Y'ALL LAMES ABOUT CINEMA!

NSTSUJz.jpg

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
Gone Girl
Nightcrawler
Birdman.
John Wick

I want to see Princess Kaguya, Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, Birdman, Whiplash, Goodbye to Language, and John Wick this month.

But Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, and John Wick will probably be the only ones actually playing near me this month.

overcast

The marketing is deceiving (good?) because they are telling you about 15% of the story.
This makes me happy. How's Affleck, Pike and the rest of the cast, Expendable?

Oh, Dear White People is out this month? Hopefully I can find a way to watch two of these limited release movies at once on a trip to LA. Lord knows Dear White People isn't hitting my conservative town.

Hamlet

Going to go see:
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
Birdman
Fury
Nightcrawler maybe
Already seen Gone Girl and loved it it was fantastic wait scratch that amazing.

kharma45

Only just found out about this film '71. Very keen to see it. Sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/71_2015/

A young British soldier is accidentally abandoned by his unit following a riot on the streets of Belfast. Unable to tell friend from foe, and increasingly wary of his own comrades, the raw recruit must survive the night alone and find his way to safety through a disorientating, alien and deadly landscape.

Critics all seem to absolutely love it.

I'm probably going to watch Mommy. I've discovered Xavier Dolan recently and, although I don't like all of his films, this one seems very good.

Whiplash was utterly staggering. Best performances all year, haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Dark, complicated, just blown away. How was Chazelle's first film?

BowieZ

Banned
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya was excellent in many areas (visuals -- a particularly delightful use of simplicity, contrast, colors and shadows -- joyous folk and orchestral music, and a sensitive balance of drama with humor), but held back by the excessive length and its sparse, cliche-ridden plot: the latter is understandable given the folktale origin, but it could have been much shorter -- not 2 hours 20 minutes! -- or at least developed some of the other characters, like Sutemaru and Emperor Mikado, and expounded the crime she supposedly committed before the events of the film (the last few scenes have a deus ex machina feel).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Outside of a few nitpicks I had, Gone Girl was a really good film. Well worth going and seeing.

Is birdman releasing wide on Oct. 17th or just limited?

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya was excellent in many areas (visuals -- a particularly delightful use of simplicity, contrast, colors and shadows -- joyous folk and orchestral music, and a sensitive balance of drama with humor), but held back by the excessive length and its sparse, cliche-ridden plot: the latter is understandable given the folktale origin, but it could have been much shorter -- not 2 hours 20 minutes! -- or at least developed some of the other characters, like Sutemaru and Emperor Mikado, and expounded the crime she supposedly committed before the events of the film (the last few scenes have a deus ex machina feel).
Well said. It was ultimately disappointing for me but still worth seeing for the absolutely gorgeous visuals. Expected more for Takahata's return, though I suspect had I grown up with [more than just a tangential understanding of] the myth this would be the definitive retelling of it and I would've been more forgiving.

Ridley327

Outside of a few nitpicks I had, Gone Girl was a really good film. Well worth going and seeing.

Is birdman releasing wide on Oct. 17th or just limited?

Just NY and LA to on the 17th. I imagine that Fox Searchlight is going to do a gradual rollout like they did with 12 Years a Slave, so it should be hitting your neck of the woods sooner rather than later.

Choomp

Banned
How are the critics saying Men, Women, and Children is? I've been following the movie for a while, and my interest in it has dropped as we've gotten closer to release, I'll probably end up seeing Birdman that day anyway.

thenexus6

Well sucks to be in the UK.. Films I want to see in "October"

John Wick - UK release - December 25th
Birdman - UK release - January 2nd
Nightcrawler - Uk release - October 31st

One out of three is better than zero I guess

How are the critics saying Men, Women, and Children is? I've been following the movie for a while, and my interest in it has dropped as we've gotten closer to release, I'll probably end up seeing Birdman that day anyway.

Response hasn't been good.

HiResDes

Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, and the new Godard. Let's be honest, Godard could make a film about poop and he'd still have me at the mere sight of his name.

overcast

Any idea where Goodbye to Language is opening? Anywhere in LA within the first week or so?

May need to make a trip to LA for Birdman/Dear White People double feature anyway.

squadr0n

I'm really hesitant to see Gone Girl only because it looks really obvious that
Ben Affleck killed his wife.

Do you really think Fincher would adapt a story that could be so easily figured out without any knowledge of the source material. Trust me, Gone Girl is full of surprises that came out of nowhere. This movie is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom