• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10th anniversary of Pokémon & Pokémon Trozei/Link info

ziran

yeq17wMuewJXItoHaRndqC4BPdNB20dX.jpg

* The Pokémon series has enjoyed sales of more than 140 million games:

Gameboy
-Pokémon Red/Blue/Green
-Pokémon Yellow

Gameboy Color
-Pokémon Gold/Silver
-Pokémon Crystal
-Pokémon Pinball
-Pokémon Trading Card Game
-Pokémon Card GB2
-Pokémon Puzzle Challenge

Gameboy Advance
-Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
-Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen
-Pokémon Emerald
-Pokémon Pinball: Ruby/Sapphire
-Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Red
-Pokémon GBA Video

Nintendo DS
-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (to be released in 2006 in Japan)
-Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Blue
-Pokémon Ranger (March 23rd in Japan)
-Pokémon Torouze/Trozei/Link
-Pokémon Dash
-Pokémon Fishing Rally - A simple game that is offered at events, it was available for download at the Pokémon Park in Japan between May 10th and September 25th 2005.

Nintendo 64
-Pokémon Stadium
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Pokémon Snap
-Pokémon Puzzle League
-Hey You, Pikachu

Gamecube
-Pokémon Colosseum
-Pokémon XD
-Pokémon Box: Ruby/Sapphire
-Pokémon Channel

- With Pokémon appearances in the Super Smash Bros series on the N64 and Gamecube.

* There are also Pokémon trading card games, Pokémon E-Reader cards and a Pokémon Mini handheld.

* Hugely successful anime:
Around 450 episodes(!) with new seasons being made, and is shown around the world. To strengthen the role of Pokémon USA and the Pokémon brand, in December 2005, Pokémon USA announced they weren't renewing their representation deal with 4Kids Entertainment and instead assumed all Pokémon brand licencing duties from 2006 onward.

* 8 successful theatrically released movies in Japan (DVD worldwide):
The 9th, Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea, is released this July.
-Pokémon: The First Movie
-Pokémon The Movie 2000: The Power of One
-Pokémon 3 The Movie: Spell of the Unown
-Pokémon 4Ever - Celebi: Voice of the Forest
-Pokémon Heroes
-Jirachi Wish Maker
-Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys
-Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
-Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea - Manaphy

* Pokémon Centers in five major cities across Japan and in New York USA:
You can find a multitude of Pokémon related items, including soft toys, sushi making sets and even toilet seat covers amongst the video games and cards.

* Travelling amusement park later this year:
A Pokémon Park was temporarily built last year in the central Japanese city of Nagoya to coincide with the World Exposition held for six months to September. It drew 4.5 million visitors during its half-year run!

* Downloadable content for phones:
Pokémon and Zingy have teamed up to introduce downloadable mobile media content for phones, with personalized ringtones, voicetones and wallpapers.

The origins of Pokémon:
...Satoshi Tajiri, a Japanese developer in his 40s who came up with the game as a variation on his childhood hobby of collecting insects; a popular pastime in Japan when he was younger. In a rare interview with Time magazine, he explained that "because of urbanisation, kids play inside their homes now, and have forgotten about catching insects. I decided to make a game with that concept."

Even Tajiri couldn't have known how popular his idea would prove. Back in February 1996, the first two Pokémon games, six years in the making, were unleashed on an expectant public in Japan. But even with the blaze of publicity surrounding the games launch, no-one could have anticipated the amazing success of the titles. By the end of 1996, video game sales topped 10 million units (Red, Green and Blue) in Japan. That popularity is hardly diminishing; last year in the USA, the second best selling game (of any format) was Pokémon Emerald on Game Boy Advance.

First appearing in the USA in 1998 as Pokémon Red and Blue, and released in Europe in May 1999, sequels soon followed. With the release of Pokémon Gold and Silver on Game Boy Color in April 2001 in Europe, an additional hundred Pokémon were added to the original line-up.

Then with the Game Boy Advance came Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, released in July 2003. As well as adding another 135 Pokémon to the Pokémon universe, now each Pokémon exhibited one of 25 distinct personalities. Each new iteration of the series has offered new additions, like wireless play and two-on-two Pokémon battles. There have also been home console versions of the Pokémon games like Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.

The more popular Pokémon characters have appeared in spin-off titles too, such as Pokémon Dash or Pokémon Pinball. Certain Pokémon have also made cameo appearances in other games; for instance, Pichu and Mewtwo both appeared in the GameCube beat'-em-up Super Smash Bros Melee, while Pikachu made an appearance in the earlier Super Smash Bros game on Nintendo 64...
I'm a huge Pokémon fan and love the RPGs, for me they're some of the best games I've ever played. I also love the whole world of Pokémon and think the relationship Nintendo has between the anime, movies and games is brilliant. It's great to see the franchise has been around for 10 years (where has the time gone!) and is still going strong :)

I enjoy the movies, with Destiny Deoxys and The Power of One (Pokémon The Movie 2000) being my favourites. I'm looking forward to the next movie's English release, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

The next game to be released outside Japan is Pokémon Trozei/Link. It looks fun:

Pokémon Trozei - NA March 6th
Pokémon Link - Europe 28th April

Trailer
Experience endless Pokémon puzzle action in Pokémon Trozei, a brand-new puzzle game only for Nintendo DS. Using the stylus, slide Pokémon puzzle pieces and line up four in a row (horizontally or vertically) to make a "Trozei" and clear the screen.

Features

Find a line up over 380 Pokémon puzzle pieces to complete your Trozei list.
Battle or cooperate wirelessly with friends to help uncover rare Pokémon for your collection.
Rescue stolen Pokémon and uncover the evil plans of the Phobos Battalion in Adventure mode.
Distribute a version of Pokémon Trozei with limited functions to friends, allowing you to compete or cooperate with a friend using just one game card!

The Basics

When you line up four identical Pokémon vertically or horizontally, it's called a Trozei. When you get a Trozei with four or more Pokémon, they disappear from the screen and you enter Trozei Chance mode. While the Trozei Chance lasts, you can Trozei three or more Pokémon, and then two Pokémon.

When you line up more Pokémon than needed to get a Trozei -- such as a Trozei with five Pokémon instead of four -- a Ditto will appear. Since Ditto can be Trozeid with any Pokémon, they come in very handy and can help you rack up big points.

Here is a closer look at the four modes of play in Pokémon Trozei.

Trozei Adventure (1 Player)

In Adventure mode, you play as Lucy Fleetfoot in an action-packed mission to save tons of Pokémon from the evil Phobos Battalion.

Endless Trozei (1 Player)

In this mode, your goal is to challenge your high score by playing as long as possible. Select a starting level, then let the Trozei marathon begin. When the number of remaining Pokémon reaches zero, you move to the next level.

Trozei Battle (2 Players)

In Trozei Battle, the player whose field has been filled with Pokémon will lose. If you make numerous Trozeis during the battle, you can send Pokémon that are in your Pokémon set to your opponent's field.

Pair Trozei (2 Players)

Your goal in Pair Trozei is to challenge the high score while cooperating with a friend. The more Continuous Trozeis you make, the easier it is for your partner to get Trozeis because the number of types of Pokémon will decrease on their field. Also, Dittos will drop on your partner's field instead of yours.

Lucy Fleetfoot to the Rescue!

The storyline in Pokémon Trozei is much deeper than you'd expect in a puzzle game. The evil Phobos Battalion has been stealing countless Poké Balls containing Pokémon and carrying them to their secret bases using machines called Phobos Mobiles. Playing as Lucy Fleetfoot, your mission is to rescue the stolen Pokémon from the Phobos Battalion.

To rescue Pokémon, you'll need to use a gadget called the Trozei Beamer. This device allows you to scan Poké Balls and then transfer the Pokémon inside to safety. An accurate lock is required for transfer, which means that you have to line up Poké Balls containing identical Pokémon in a straight line.

To rescue all of the stolen Pokémon, you'll have to battle your way through a long series of increasingly challenging levels and boss battles with Phobos Battalion generals.

Pokémon Trozei is a manic puzzle game that sees you fighting through more than 20 levels of increasing intensity, linking matching Poké Balls in order to clear the levels
OVLHHWsRgUbWAj1zd5c6C5G1Emu5h9Xo.jpg

YMKq2w0xdvbUZqxsPgrRfdcjX5uckaZ8.jpg

eYaxPq5p3pZIZQlFGtREBwK32GON0RHW.jpg

IGN Preview

Taken from:
NoE
NoA
Serebii.net
Pokémon Elite 2000
Yahoo News

Ronok

Bleh, I've only ever seen 3 of the movies as the rest have never been released here in UK as far as I'm aware. ; ;

Damn, 14 million Pokemon games sold every year for 10 years...... o.o

See, the problem is they're making all this spin-off crap. Playing a pokemon version of tetris isn't really what the children and my wife want. They want the next actual Pokemon game. And actually I can assure you that when it does come out, it will drive at least one DS sale because I'll be buying one so my wife can play the new Pokemon game and I can continue dreaming of the day she'll actually become a gamer. :lol

ziran

Ronok said:
Bleh, I've only ever seen 3 of the movies as the rest have never been released here in UK as far as I'm aware. ; ;

Damn, 14 million Pokemon games sold every year for 10 years...... o.o
yeah, the movies are available in the uk, but they're dvd only. iirc it was only the first few movies that were screened theatrically in the uk.

i think online diamond and pearl will be huge.

ivysaur12

Banned
Even though I'm not a fan of spinoffs, Pokémon Trozei! was REALLY fun in the demo I played, and Pokémon Ranger looks like it's a lot of fun (and it's from HAL!)

master15

It's been 10 years already since the birth of Pokemon! Yikes I am already feeling old. One thing I could never understand is why Nintendo never released a console version like the original Gameboy games with RPG, character collecting levelling up and battling various stadiums across the games universe. I know they launched many spin off titles with some of thse elements like Pokemon Snap and Stadium but a faithful home edition would have been huge, especially when the fad was in full swing.

I really never understood Nitnendo's reluctance on this one...

ziran

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=YWLbTYKFOSOXduG6n87Di1uadWkGQ9jG&page=currentNews

Pokémon and Zingy team up to introduce downloadable mobile media content with personalized ringtones, voicetones and wallpapers.
NEW YORK (February 12, 2006) – Pokémon®, one of the most successful children’s properties of all-time, is joining with Zingy, Inc, the leading mobile media provider in the U.S., to launch Pokémon Mobile, it was announced today at the American International Toy Fair. Pokémon Mobile—part of the multi-billion-dollar personalized mobile media market—will offer downloadable mobile content including ringtones, wallpapers, and voicetones inspired by Pokémon’s hit animated TV series and chart-topping video games, which are based on the concept of collecting, training, and trading Pokémon characters on a quest to become a Pokémon Master. Zingy will publish Pokémon Mobile content across a variety of platforms on the major domestic cell phone carriers. Content is available at www.pokemon.com/mobile.

“With mobile phone usage growing at an unprecedented rate and our fans looking for more on-demand content, it was a natural fit for Pokémon to expand into mobile media,” said Yves Saada, Vice President of Business Development, Pokémon USA, Inc. “Pokémon has always been a leader in technology and pop culture, and Pokémon Mobile will prove to be yet another innovative platform for us to interact with our fans.”

Through Zingy, popular Pokémon characters, songs, and animated clips will be brought to life in mobile media content for boys and girls of all ages. Consumers will be able to select from more than 30 downloadable content options and can have for example Pikachu, the most popular Pokémon character, announce their calls. They can also download ringtones from the Pokémon animated TV series soundtracks. Wallpapers include images of popular Pokémon, action scenes, and key characters, such as Pokémon Gym Leaders and villains.

“We’re thrilled to be working with Pokémon to incorporate mobile into their marketing strategy,” said Scott Debson, Vice President, Licensing and Publishing, Zingy, Inc. “The addition of Pokémon-branded content to our portfolio further establishes Zingy as the premier mobile publisher for brands that impact pop culture.”

Personalized downloads at www.pokemon.com/mobile will be $1.99, on average, per item and will be included on consumers’ monthly mobile phone bill from their existing carrier. Throughout 2006, Pokémon Mobile will continue to add new personalized content and features, such as on-demand voicemails from popular Pokémon characters.

Vargas

master15 said:
It's been 10 years already since the birth of Pokemon! Yikes I am already feeling old. One thing I could never understand is why Nintendo never released a console version like the original Gameboy games with RPG, character collecting levelling up and battling various stadiums across the games universe. I know they launched many spin off titles with some of thse elements like Pokemon Snap and Stadium but a faithful home edition would have been huge, especially when the fad was in full swing.

Hopefully things will change with the revolution.

ziran

master15 said:

this is one of life's great mysteries...

i'd guess it's to keep some unique stuff for their handhelds, but, yeah, it seems madness that a proper home console version of the rpgs hasn't been made.

there are around 50 people at game freak now, so i'm hoping nintendo has some big pokémon plans for revolution (like a fully fledged, beautifully cell shaded, rpg with online trading, battles and gyms developed by game freak, please!).

The reluctance probably relates to the "spirit" of the game. They want players to gather in public places. People can meet other players on the street by seeing the colored cartridges sticking out.

The momentum of this series is really based on social interation, so Nintendo probably sees proper home versions as the opposite of what Pokemon is all about.

Mmm I really reccomend people try Pokemon Trozei at an EBGames or Gamestop (the ones with the dual DS demos). They have True Swing Golf and Pokemon Trozei in the other one. Its incredibly fun and the music is really catchy. Seems a bit easy cause the combinations keep going and going for just getting 1 line sometimes, but it keeps the game fast paced. I plan on grabbing it day 1.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I played the Trozei demo today at Gamestop. It was fun, but Tetris DS is a month away and that'll satisfy my puzzle needs for a long time.

Nick

Ah, my favorite game series of all time. I always knew it would stick around after the whole "fad" craze. Good for Nintendo.

(I own every game there. =X)

ziran

shinokou said:
The reluctance probably relates to the "spirit" of the game. They want players to gather in public places. People can meet other players on the street by seeing the colored cartridges sticking out.

The momentum of this series is really based on social interation, so Nintendo probably sees proper home versions as the opposite of what Pokemon is all about.
you're probably right.

the social interaction part of the handheld rpgs is great and a big part of the game. now nintendo has started the ball rolling for its online service we could finally see a proper home console version on revolution.

Kroole

ziran said:
yeq17wMuewJXItoHaRndqC4BPdNB20dX.jpg

* Pokémon Centers in five major cities across Japan and in New York USA:
You can find a multitude of Pokémon related items, including soft toys, sushi making sets and even toilet seat covers amongst the video games and cards.

Wasn't the Pokémon Center in NY reestablished as a Nintendo (not just Pokémon) store?

ziran

Kroole said:
Wasn't the Pokémon Center in NY reestablished as a Nintendo (not just Pokémon) store?
yes, i believe so, but from my understanding it has a large pokemon section (though, i've never been).

ioi

Banned
Just to re-state the sales:

From http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php

Gameboy
-Pokémon Red/Blue/Green - 31.37m
-Pokémon Yellow - 14.64m

Total - 46.01m

Gameboy Color
-Pokémon Gold/Silver - 23.10m
-Pokémon Crystal - 6.39m
-Pokémon Pinball - 5.31m
-Pokémon Trading Card Game - 3.70m
-Pokémon Card GB2 - 0.08m
-Pokémon Puzzle Challenge - 0.59m

Total - 39.47m

Gameboy Advance
-Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - 14.74m
-Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen - 9.04m
-Pokémon Emerald - 5.35m
-Pokémon Pinball: Ruby/Sapphire - 1.41m
-Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Red - 0.70m

Total - 31.24m

Nintendo DS
-Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Blue - 0.72m
-Pokémon Torouze/Trozei/Link - 0.31m
-Pokémon Dash - 0.68m

Total - 1.73m

Nintendo 64
-Pokémon Stadium (jp) - 1.37m
-Pokémon Stadium - 5.46m
-Pokémon Stadium 2 - 2.54m
-Pokémon Snap - 3.63m
-Pokémon Puzzle League - 0.45m
-Hey You, Pikachu - 1.83m

Total - 17.28m

Gamecube
-Pokémon Colosseum - 2.50m
-Pokémon XD - 0.93m
-Pokémon Box: Ruby/Sapphire - 0.23m
-Pokémon Channel - 0.35m

Total - 4.01m

Grand total - 139.74m

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
shinokou said:

I still wouldn't get it. Surely one wouldn't lose anything by having a similar thing on another console, would it? Did the console Mario platformers suffer because of the handheld versions? This is just Nintendo not knowing how to capitalize something until a good while has passed. Hopefully they make a real worthy effort on the Rev.

Shalomi

You know, not to be negative or anything, I just want to point out an observation; A month or two after the first movie came out, I noticed a lot of people at my school were selling their pokemon cards.

I'm just saying. I'm pretty sure the movies were what killed the fad.

Top Bottom