• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 Rock Is Pulling Blackface Episodes From Streaming Platforms and TV Reruns

brap

Banned
Physical media chads win again!

Four episodes of 30 Rock, including two featuring Jane Krakowski’s Jenna character in blackface, are being removed from subscription streaming services Hulu and Amazon Prime and have also been made unavailable for sale on purchase platforms such as iTunes and Google Play. The episodes, which will no longer air on traditional TV either, were pulled at the request of NBCUniversal executive producers Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. A source tells Vulture the four episodes, some of which have already vanished, should be gone by the end of this week.

“As we strive to do the work and do better in regards to race in America, we believe that these episodes featuring actors in race-changing makeup are best taken out of circulation,” Fey wrote in a letter to the platforms that streamed or sold 30 Rock. “I understand now that ‘intent’ is not a free pass for white people to use these images. I apologize for pain they have caused. Going forward, no comedy-loving kid needs to stumble on these tropes and be stung by their ugliness. I thank NBCUniversal for honoring this request.”

The two Jenna blackface episodes being removed, which were gone at least a week ago, per Reddit observers, are from the third and fifth seasons of 30 Rock. The season-three episode, “Believe in the Stars,” aired first on November 6, 2008, and includes a plot in which Jenna (Krakowski) and Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) decide to swap identities in order to determine whether black men or white women face more challenges in society. This “experiment” includes Jenna darkening her skin. Her character again appears in blackface in the season-five episode “Christmas Attack Zone,” this time dressed as former Pittsburgh Steelers star Lynn Swann at a party with boyfriend Paul (Will Forte), who dressed as Natalie Portman, in a spoof of Black Swan.

In addition, Universal is removing season six’s live episode in which guest star Jon Hamm appears in a wig and crude blackface, part of a spoof of the racist radio and TV show Amos ’n’ Andy. The studio is also pulling the East Coast version of 30 Rock’s first live episode (season five’s “Live Show”); the West Coast version will remain. Vulture is trying to find out the precise reason the East Coast version has been removed. That version did include a fake Fox News chyron that read “Exclusive Interview With Kenyan Liar,” a reference to the baseless birther conspiracy pushed by far-right politicians, including Donald Trump. The West Coast version of the live episode subs in a chyron reading “Impartial Interview With Barack Obammunist.”

The 30 Rock news comes two weeks after WarnerMedia’s HBO Max platform removed Gone With the Wind from the newly launched service. In that instance, however, the company said the film would return with new warnings and an introduction from TCM host and University of Chicago media studies professor Jacqueline Stewart explaining why the movie is problematic. Amazon is currently weighing whether or not to take down or edit episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard, which features the racist Confederate flag in every episode.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
30 Rock is horrible. You should be watching clever shows like Atlanta brap.
source.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Soon we will live in a society without people ever getting their feelings hurt! I can't wait for this utopia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Let me make a list of other things that you can't joke about anymore, because it might hurt someones precious tender feelings:

1. Weight
2. Age
3. Appearance
4. Intelligence
5. Job
6. Sexuality
7. Political preferences
8. EVERYTHING ELSE

In short, comedy should be cancelled.

teezzy

Banned
I hate everything

it's always sunny episodes to be pulled soon, I'm sure

Lord forbid context was ever taken into consideration

No respect for the overall plot arc of these shows. Fuck all streaming platforms

Blond

Banned
TBH Tina Fey has a weird thing with black characters in general, like they exist for her entertainment and that's been complaint about her for years so I'm not surprised that she doesn't want to be associated with it anymore.

TBH Tina Fey has a weird thing with black characters in general, like they exist for her entertainment and that's been complaint about her for years so I'm not surprised that she doesn't want to be associated with it anymore.
Can you elaborate? I guess I've never heard of this?

Nymphae

Banned
I need to start pirating the shows I like, and Tropic Thunder, before they're all gone.

Or better yet buy them. You can get shit cheap as hell on Amazon if you aren't being fussy about having it shrink wrapped and in the highest quality formats. Flea markets, yard sales, Walmart bargain bins - building a library legitimately isn't all that expensive but people are lazy and stealing is easier.

Blond

Banned
Can you elaborate? I guess I've never heard of this?

So I want to make it clear I personally don't care and get her humor, it's just that she doesn't know to add that extra dimension so the racial edge comes off as something more than awkward. If I personally get their intention I don't care, but others not so much because they feel the jokes regarding race always come off as flat. She really improved on this front with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, though, I binged it in a few days during quarantine and found the entire series + movie hilarious.

Again, I don't agree but I get why she wouldn't want this to something under her belt. Like when Seth McFarland got rid of the John F Kennedy joke from Family Guy.

Big Bang Theory is offensive to nerds!

#cancelpenny

The way to deal with this shit is to just allow all art, even the art you don't like.

O-N-E

Yeah, some of the stuff in her shows is suspect.... still shouldn't be censored though.

30 Rock is horrible. You should be watching clever shows like Atlanta brap.
source.gif

Nah, 30 Rock is actually really good overall.

Top Bottom