• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 dead, elderly covered in feces at Dorval long-term care facility, 5 confirmed from CCP virus

cryptoadam

Banned

Quebec Premier François Legault said Saturday that he believed there might have been “gross negligence” by management of a private long-term care facility in Montreal that has seen at least 31 deaths since March 13.

The facility, Résidence Herron in Dorval near Montreal’s Trudeau airport, is considered to be a luxury retirement home, with room for about 150 residents. It charges thousands of dollars per month for housing and care for each resident.

Legault made the comments in the wake of revelations about troubling conditions inside the seniors home that came to light more than a week after local public officials descended on the building and discovered what was going on with the disease spreading among patients and staff.

He was supposed to take the day off on Saturday, but Legault said he decided instead to speak directly to the population because he thought what had happened in the home was outrageous.

Officials were only able to confirm the staggering number of deaths on Friday night and the premier was blunt, when asked by reporters about what had caused the tragedy in the home for seniors.

“Obviously, there’s an investigation, so I should be cautious, but I don’t feel like it,” he told reporters at a news conference in Quebec City. “You know it doesn’t make sense when you arrive at a facility and the majority of the staff are gone. So I think it looks a lot like gross negligence.”

Local health-care officials first arrived on March 29 and found a lot of staff had deserted the facility, leaving many residents lying in soiled beds without having been fed. Two patients died soon after the intervention and at least five of the deceased patients were confirmed to have COVID-19, Legault said.

Absolutly disgusting and fucked up behavior. These people were left to die, and though it doesn't matter, many paid 1000's of dollars a month for this privilege. There is going to be a reckoning in Quebec over this.

It isn't confirmed how many of the 31 had CCP virus outside of 5. It could be more or not. Its an even bigger tragedy if the remaining 26 didn't have CCP virus.

I fear we are going to see more of these stories. And apparently the guy owns 3 more residences. Could be the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Thank god they have such a great health care system

Nursing homes are living hells in every country, regardless of health care system, and they are all almost entirely publicly funded in the US anyway. They are underfunded, staffed by drug addicts (turnover due to failed drug tests and discovered drug theft is massive), and run by crooks, from my experience. In a sane world people would be arrested and shot for the inhuman ways they treat the elderly and infirmed in these places, but unfortunately they get to keep profiting off of guaranteed payments from the government or from stolen drugs and supplies.

Nursing homes are living hells in every country, regardless of health care system, and they are all almost entirely publicly funded in the US anyway. They are underfunded, staffed by drug addicts (turnover due to failed drug tests and discovered drug theft is massive), and run by crooks, from my experience. In a sane world people would be arrested and shot for the inhuman ways they treat the elderly and infirmed in these places, but unfortunately they get to keep profiting off of guaranteed payments from the government or from stolen drugs and supplies.
Ya man, I have a few friends that used to work at a couple different homes in northern california and some of the stories I've heard are absolutely devastating.

These were privately funded nursing homes if you go by the story, but ill still give you a C for your drive by shit post because you were able to pick up on Canada being a different country.

Privately funded up to what point? The US government seizes assets to pay for nursing home care, then pays for it all beyond that. I assume it is the same thing in Canada, and knowing how much nursing homes charge the average person has their funds depleted well before they die.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Privately funded up to what point? The US government seizes assets to pay for nursing home care, then pays for it all beyond that. I assume it is the same thing in Canada, and knowing how much nursing homes charge the average person has their funds depleted well before they die.
Don’t know how it works in Quebec. It differs from province to province. In B.C some beds are subsidized by the government, some are fully privately funded. Some facilities are fully run by the government, some by non profits, and some by large for profit corporations.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It falls on the owners and the administrators. Staff at a nursing home aren't in the military. It's a job, and if they decided to quit a horrible job with dangerous working conditions, that's something people have the right to do. If they're short staffed, the owners and administrators call in agency nursing to substitute, or even report it to the nursing board, who will take over the nursing home and run it with their own staff. Just because you give someone a paycheck doesn't mean they are bound to work there forever. Families need to still be involved and move their family out, or report to the nursing board.

Whoever is running that place will probably be royally screwed though.

And all nursing homes cost thousands of dollars a month. Even the cheapest one you can imagine.

Last edited:
These were privately funded nursing homes if you go by the story, but ill still give you a C for your drive by shit post because you were able to pick up on Canada being a different country.
Word, it was meant to be purely sarcastic and not malicious. I'll say the C is deserved, could've been pulled off better

TindalosPup

They are underfunded, staffed by drug addicts (turnover due to failed drug tests and discovered drug theft is massive), and run by crooks, from my experience.

Same experience here, most people in nursing homes do that work because they can't do anything else, not because they care about the elderly or invalids. I was in housekeeping and we treated the residents with more care and respect than most of the administration, Nurses, RNAs, and CNAs.

It became too much for me after I witnessed and reported a resident, that was supposed to be supervised 24/7, fall out of bed and then die 3 days later due to his injuries because his assigned aid wanted to fuck off and talk to the other aides. I started blowing the whistle about the facilities mismanagement (needles in the trash cans, used razors and catheter bags left all over the place) and they retaliated on the whole department in some of the most disgusting ways you can think (like painting the residents floors and walls with shit). There was an exodus in housekeeping, some of us leaving voluntarily, some unrightfully fired or laid off. Assholes even tried to ruin my relationship years after the fact by talking crap to my bf because I started dating him while I worked there and I didn't want to date my boss' son. Some of the worst people I've met in my life worked at that nursing home.

There are good people that work in these facilities, but they're far outweighed by the bad that are just in it for the money.

What a ccp virus? Never heard that before

uOw3FCw.png

Kagey K

Banned
Thank god they have such a great health care system
My province is giving away more PPE then we are keeping. We properly stocked up for this and since we have managed to keep our cases down we are donating stuff to other provinces to help support them.

What is your region doing?

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
WTF? Is this some kind of language barrier to French speaking provinces that I fail to understand?

31 dead and then the rest covered in feces. And they are still speculating IF this is a sign of "gross negligence"?
WTF. If this is not obvious and criminal negligence, then what does qualify for negligence in Quebeck?

I am so grateful that none of my loved elder relatives are held captive in the Quebeck elderly care service.

Last edited:

I agree completely. If anything comes from this, hopefully it's that people take care of their parents and have them live with them if anything, rather than put them in homes like this. Or put their folks up in a house themselves if one is able to, I'm not so I'll just go first my first suggestion and take care of my parents directly. Fuck putting them in a home. Not happening.

My province is giving away more PPE then we are keeping. We properly stocked up for this and since we have managed to keep our cases down we are donating stuff to other provinces to help support them.

What is your region doing?
We're smoking weed and watching Tiger King playa!

Don't be so sensitive, it was a bad attempt at sarcasm, don't take it so personal.

Make a simple joke about Canada and everyone's booty hole puckers up.

At the end of the day it's a sad story. The issue is (at least in the states) people (usually white) become relatively well off and throw their parents in these shady homes to rot away. It's more of a cultural problem than anything.

I've had friends work at some of these homes and it sounds quite fucked up.

New Jersey had a similar incident. Sadly I think there will be a lot more of these stories popping up over time.

A tip of a body in a shed led Andover Police to one of New Jersey's largest nursing homes Monday eveningwhere they found 17 bodies in the facility's morgue, one of the responding officers told CNN.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
New Jersey had a similar incident. Sadly I think there will be a lot more of these stories popping up over time.

Yup. This is going to pop up all over the place.

From my understanding a lot of the staff in these homes are the dregs of society and don't really care about the "patients" there. So its not going to surprise me if we see waves of homes abandoned during the crisis. And the owners of course are shady themselves.

-Minsc-

Yup. This is going to pop up all over the place.

From my understanding a lot of the staff in these homes are the dregs of society and don't really care about the "patients" there. So its not going to surprise me if we see waves of homes abandoned during the crisis. And the owners of course are shady themselves.
Gives something to think about. The deeper question to ask, is it an issue in society at large in which we dump our parents in a home so we can have free time to watch anime and golf? So engrossed in doing what we want that we set ourselves up for a successive cycle of being thrown into a home? It is said, what goes around comes around.

Top Bottom