• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 australian detention center workers speak out against abuse, in face of arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

Makes me sick to my stomach that this is a real thing supported by our country at large and our government. Fuck.

Believe me. Most people in Europe would vote for your kind of leadership. They dream of the day when asylum seekers will be stopped from setting foot on european soil and will be automatically deported. This isn't an australian issue. Australia is only showing the other countries the way to do it.

The world is a fucked up place and my heart bleeds for the poor souls who risk everything to flee their country and seek a chance at a better life, only to be parked like animals and treated like sub-humans. What makes even more sad is that most people these days agree with this stuff. The hate against immigrants have never been so strong.

Window

The green party might have, but they're not big enough yet. Plus they have more play with labor than with the liberals, and guess which party the idiots voted in.

Well I live here so I know. I'm just unaware of the state of the political landscape as I didn't have voting rights till now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well I live here so I know. I'm just unaware of the state of the political landscape as I didn't have voting rights till now.

Well, after seeing the implosion of the liberal government this week, I'm sure you know who to vote for!

JC Sera

I don't understand...this is for asylum seekers? Why? What is going on? This sounds like those horrifying US prisons in Iraq.
We're a fucking horrible xenophobic country
That has had the right wing hype up for the last 10 years the boogey man "Boat people"
That treats asylum seekers worse than prisoners in Guantanamo bay
And then tries its best to enforce draconic laws to cover up said abuse

Yagharek

yo Yag, what is your stance on refugees via boats?

I am not trying to call you out on anything but just want to know you stance, I have been agreeing with you more and more these days.

Refugees are going to come or try to, no matter where. The current govt and opposition are fake humanitarians saying they are doing this to stop encouraging people to take risky journeys. Then they lock them up in places where they get raped or tortured, or send them back to countries like Iran who were apparently part of the axis of evil only 12 scant years ago.

If they're coming and they're refugees fleeing war/police states etc, break the business model of people smugglers by transporting them instead. Stop them coming in shit boats, and take them across in seaworthy vessels flying our flag. In a practical sense, you can't fit *all* of them here, but making a genuine effort to take as many as possible gives us a stronger position to get other countries on board and maybe then countries like various pacific island nations, SE Asian countries, NZ, maybe even further afield will help out.

If they are economic migrants, the inference is they are people prepared to work. So perhaps if you accept them (assuming they can't demonstrate a persecution in their homeland) then you can tie social service support to them working in rural towns. They get support in transitioning into the country, they get to do work/training in places with skills shortages like inland WA and Queensland, and smaller shrinking towns get access to more support services as a consequence of hosting people who are functional and capable of working without requiring trauma counselling in the same way a war refugee would. That means they don't have to spend $2500 for a plumber to come from the next town to unblock a drain because the towns get big enough for plumbers to live there instead.

In the end they are all people like you or I or anyone else in this country, and I'd much rather we give them a go first before packing them off to be raped and tortured by former soldiers acting as hired thugs on islands with no oversight.

Antiwhippy

They'll still treat asylum seekers like shit, but hopefully the green party will have enough levy to lessen the bullshit.

Refugees are going to come or try to, no matter where. The current govt and opposition are fake humanitarians saying they are doing this to stop encouraging people to take risky journeys. Then they lock them up in places where they get raped or tortured, or send them back to countries like Iran who were apparently part of the axis of evil only 12 scant years ago.

If they're coming and they're refugees fleeing war/police states etc, break the business model of people smugglers by transporting them instead. Stop them coming in shit boats, and take them across in seaworthy vessels flying our flag. In a practical sense, you can't fit *all* of them here, but making a genuine effort to take as many as possible gives us a stronger position to get other countries on board and maybe then countries like various pacific island nations, SE Asian countries, NZ, maybe even further afield will help out.

If they are economic migrants, the inference is they are people prepared to work. So perhaps if you accept them (assuming they can't demonstrate a persecution in their homeland) then you can tie social service support to them working in rural towns. They get support in transitioning into the country, they get to do work/training in places with skills shortages like inland WA and Queensland, and smaller shrinking towns get access to more support services as a consequence of hosting people who are functional and capable of working without requiring trauma counselling in the same way a war refugee would. That means they don't have to spend $2500 for a plumber to come from the next town to unblock a drain because the towns get big enough for plumbers to live there instead.

In the end they are all people like you or I or anyone else in this country, and I'd much rather we give them a go first before packing them off to be raped and tortured by former soldiers acting as hired thugs on islands with no oversight.

The sexual assault was also carried out by several of the local Nauruans and the asylum seekers themselves. This seems to get overlooked. There was a story only last month of one asylum seeker sexually abusing four girls and if you read some of the case histories it is discussed in detail. Not all of the people are like you or me and I'd rather not give those guilty of abuse, sexual assault and pedophilia a go. The whole thing is a mess.

Antiwhippy

Well yeah, if they have a history of abuse don't let them in, but we should not be using the actions of a few taint a whole group.

We're a fucking horrible xenophobic country
That has had the right wing hype up for the last 10 years the boogey man "Boat people"
That treats asylum seekers worse than prisoners in Guantanamo bay
And then tries its best to enforce draconic laws to cover up said abuse

Man, I'm having a really heard time imagining this. They are just refugees. What is the road one could take from "they need help and are escaping some shit" to "waterboard them"? As despicable and scummy and inexcusable GB is, I can see the steps of the thought process of right wing lunatics.

I don't think Australians would be FOR all of this if they saw full reports of what is happening.

Zaptruder

Banned
Under labour there were far more people locked up in detention centers and they also voted for this law. Both are horrible.

Yes, they're bad. But at least they weren't also trying to stall the shit out of gay marriage and kill wind power and promote coal as a responsible way of reducing carbon emissions.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Man, I'm having a really heard time imagining this. They are just refugees. What is the road one could take from "they need help and are escaping some shit" to "waterboard them"? As despicable and scummy and inexcusable GB is, I can see the steps of the thought process of right wing lunatics.

I don't think Australians would be FOR all of this if they saw full reports of what is happening.
I think Australians are aware of it to a degree but confused about what they can do. Both the liberals and labor are supportive of this situation. Our PM is beyond belief in his lack of compassion (and personality / morals / intelligence) and his government is so cunning and underhanded and deceptive I'm not sure most people can see through the contradictory and evasive language they use. It's like things happen before the public even realises it. It really feels like a miserable political landscape.. It's quite depressing to me. I mean, he went on an organised attack against wind power and supports coal ffs. Just days ago he said he won't support strengthening the environment if it affects the economy. He's ruthless. Imagine a jug headed Mr Burns :p

Yagharek

The sexual assault was also carried out by several of the local Nauruans and the asylum seekers themselves. This seems to get overlooked. There was a story only last month of one asylum seeker sexually abusing four girls and if you read some of the case histories it is discussed in detail. Not all of the people are like you or me and I'd rather not give those guilty of abuse, sexual assault and pedophilia a go. The whole thing is a mess.

Maybe there are some bad people in there, sure. But that just brings it back to one question. Why are the innocent people locked up with them?

Linus

Neo Member
Maybe there are some bad people in there, sure. But that just brings it back to one question. Why are the innocent people locked up with them?

Yes, this is what needs asking. Also, what needs asking is if they have that much disdain for people like that, how much do they have for people like us?

JC Sera

3 new articles
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...-deal-after-cambodia-says-no-to-more-refugees
Tony Abbott and other senior Australian ministers have defended a $55m refugee resettlement deal with Cambodia after a spokesman for Cambodia’s government said it had no plans to take any more than the four refugees it has already accepted.
However, Cambodia expects it will take no more from Australia’s resettlement plan, which has so far cost $55m, or more than $13m per refugee.

Cambodia deal doomed after just four Nauru refugees resettled for $55m
Read more
“We don’t have any plans to import more refugees from Nauru to Cambodia,” interior ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told the Cambodia Daily. “I think the fewer we receive the better.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...anus-and-nauru-centres?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Transfield Services, the company embroiled in a series of scandals over human rights abuses in its offshore asylum detention centres, appears set to continue running the Manus Island and Nauru facilities for another five years, after being announced as the government’s preferred tenderer to run “welfare and garrison support services” offshore.

Guardian Australia understands the total five-year contract could be worth about $2.7bn, about $45m every month.

Transfield’s bid is understood to be significantly more expensive than some other tenderers, but the per-month figure was reduced from its current contract budget, due largely to smaller detention centre operations.

And Guardian Australia understands the announcement from the government means that Save the Children, which was providing welfare services for children and families on Nauru, will no longer operate on the island. That role will be taken over by Transfield.
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-something-like-border-force?CMP=share_btn_tw
It is a truth wearily demonstrated by history that acts of tyranny condoned against some will finally become a tyranny visited on all. And in our acceptance of the antidemocratic, frequently illegal, often inhumane and occasionally criminal practices perpetuated against asylum seekers that have seen fellow human beings variously beaten, raped, molested, humiliated and murdered at Australian taxpayers’ expense, we have cleared a road for our own governments to begin treating us similarly.

And were that to happen, and if innocent victims were to use the courts to seek to protect their freedoms against the excesses of Border Force, would the attorney general – the purported custodian of the rule of law – then accuse them of “lawfare”?

If the public broadcaster sought to question such actions that infringe on our liberties would they be attacked as anti-Australian?

Would it be demanded of journalists that instead of digging to uncover crimes they join Team Australia?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's something incredibly ironic about a country filled majorly with groups of white people at the edge of Southeast Asia treating immigrants so poorly :/

This frustrates me so fucking much that we as a people as so supportive of such evil. Australia regularly condemns our neighbours for abuses in human rights, but what right do we have to do so when we are party to such systemic abuse?

JC Sera

Nauru detention centre not safe for children, says Senate committee calling for full audit into abuse claims
The Australian Government should speed up the removal of all asylum seeker children and their families from the Nauru detention centre, a Senate inquiry has recommended.
he Senate select committee probing the operation of the Australian-funded facility found conditions in the centre were "not adequate, appropriate or safe for the asylum seekers detained there".

It called for a "full audit" of allegations of sexual abuse, child abuse and other criminal conduct.

"The committee is deeply concerned that without this inquiry, the allegations heard and evidence received would not have been uncovered," its report said.

"There appears to be no other pathway for those affected by what they have seen and experienced in the Regional Processing Centre (RPC) on Nauru to disclose allegations of mistreatment, abuse or to make complaints.

"The committee believes that no guarantee can be given by the department that any aspect of the RPC is run well, and that no guarantee of transparency and accountability can be given until significant changes are made and accountability systems are put in place."

The committee also called for the Australian Human Rights Commission and Australian media to be given "reasonable access" to the regional processing centre.

Zaptruder

Banned
This frustrates me so fucking much that we as a people as so supportive of such evil. Australia regularly condemns our neighbours for abuses in human rights, but what right do we have to do so when we are party to such systemic abuse?

Australian exceptionalism.

Hey YOU don't get to treat those people like that.

But we're special.

Walpurgis

Banned
Believe me. Most people in Europe would vote for your kind of leadership. They dream of the day when asylum seekers will be stopped from setting foot on european soil and will be automatically deported. This isn't an australian issue. Australia is only showing the other countries the way to do it.

The world is a fucked up place and my heart bleeds for the poor souls who risk everything to flee their country and seek a chance at a better life, only to be parked like animals and treated like sub-humans. What makes even more sad is that most people these days agree with this stuff. The hate against immigrants have never been so strong.

This is why I am glad that Canada isn't near any developing countries. I would love to have people over but I wouldn't able to stomach the hatred generated by a "Canadian immigration crisis". I prefer the smugness that we have whenever we hear about Europe's immigration issues. "Canada is a country of immigrants!" I'm sure many people would change their tune quickly if our circumstances were different. I hate people.

Window

It just doesn't end...

How can they ask for a seat on the Human Rights Council while turning a blind eye to (or worse, suppressing) such treatment of people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom