• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

For those few of us here who celebrate today as more than an opportunity to gorge yourself on chocolate:

And behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said.

Happy Easter.

fallout

Boogie said:
Nope, but I'm learning the language.
Ha, cool. I'm living around the Bathurst & Steeles area of TO and I'm a serious minority. It's all Russian Jewish. I've picked up a few things, but it's mostly from dating a russian girl, heh (who, I should note, I started dating before I moved here).

Anyway, Happy Easter!

Boogie

bionic77 said:
Sounds suspicious.

Time to put the Patriot Act through its paces.

Good luck with that. :lol

fallout: yeah, I'm quite surprised by the number of Russians in Toronto. I'm constantly overhearing snippets of conversation in Russian when I'm walking down the street.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Naked Snake said:
I could actually read that (but I didn't know what it meant), I rule.

Means "Christ has risen". Traditional response is "Воистину Воскрес!" - "He is risen indeed."

(That's what you get for living in Russia over the Easter period. :))

Actually, Russia's mainly christian orthodox, and the orthodox easter isn't until a few weeks and that's a very othodoxe saying.

YOU IS WRONG catholic.

Boogie

Date of Lies said:
Actually, Russia's mainly christian orthodox, and the orthodox easter isn't until a few weeks and that's a very othodoxe saying.

YOU IS WRONG catholic.

I'm quite aware of that, I just don't care. :p

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Is it a particularly Orthodox saying, though? The same words (in translation, at least) exist in the Easter services for most non-Orthodox versions of Christianity as well.

iapetus said:
Is it a particularly Orthodox saying, though? The same words (in translation, at least) exist in the Easter services for most non-Orthodox versions of Christianity as well.

Yes they probably do exist in translation but take note that all orthodox countries (Russia, Roumania, Bulgaria, etc) use that exact saying not translated, just as is, even though they obviously don't speak the same language. It's a orthodox saying by tradition, but if translated it could be used for catholics and all that.

There just isn't that many catholics in orthodox countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom