• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4k or HDR when using a PS4 Pro?

When using the PS4 Pro and utilizing the extra power and output capabilities, which option do you lean towards?

4k for full resolution and output from the system?

Do you opt for more color information and around 1 Billion colors displayed?
("a 10-bit display can show roughly 1.07 billion colors".)

I have a PS4 Pro and my TV will only support a 4k resolution or HDR at 1080 resolution. My capture card also has the same restrictions as well and since I've been recording more, I wanted to know your thoughts.

mekes

In that situation it might depend on a game by game basis. I haven’t been too impressed with HDR in gaming as yet, not compared to movies at least. You should not forget that even when the pro is displaying 1080p it will still improve the detail compared to the original PS4.

I think I would opt for the 4K as only Gran Turismo Sport and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn I think, have really stood out to me with their HDR efforts.

Kagey K

Banned
HDR is the real game changer, but I don’t know if your tv supports actual HDR givin the setting limits.

Virex

Banned
Your TV must be old / very low end if it can only do HDR at 1080p. So But I prefer both. The only 3 games I turned HDR off was Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2. HDR was total shit in all 3 these games and actually looked better without HDR.

TLZ

Banned
In that case definitely go with HDR and 1080p. You can set your Pro to supersampling too I think right? To make 1080p look better.

GHG

First of all you need to tell us what model of TV you have.

All HDR is not equal. A lot of display manufacturers will advertise that their product can do HDR when the fact is all it can do is accept a HDR signal without being able to reproduce the brightness and colours necessary to make a meaningful impact.

Ulysses 31

Nah, it looks mediocre even in that case.
I have one of the best if not the best oled tv of 2018 and playing at fullhd fucking sucks...

I bought a 2070 super with the 3000 series around the corner just because i was done with 1080p...
What's this TV model? I'd love to look it up and compare to a 2019 Samsung TV upscaling.

I didn't find playing Bloodborne or 1080p Switch games looking mediocre at all.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah, it looks mediocre even in that case.
I have one of the best if not the best oled tv of 2018 and playing at fullhd fucking sucks...

I bought a 2070 super with the 3000 series around the corner just because i was done with 1080p...
weird it seems just right here.
games without HDR those kinda stick out

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When using the PS4 Pro and utilizing the extra power and output capabilities, which option do you lean towards?

I have a PS4 Pro and my TV will only support a 4k resolution or HDR at 1080 resolution. My capture card also has the same restrictions as well and since I've been recording more, I wanted to know your thoughts.
What TV do you have? I have never heard of a TV that only supports HDR at 1080p.

I am more inclined to think you have a TV setting messed up, or have your PS4 Pro plugged into the wrong HDMI port. Check your TV settings and make sure that your PS4 Pro is plugged into an HDMI 2.0 port. Even some recent TVs still have lower bandwidth ports. It's also possible your HDMI connection requires a setting such as Deep Color to be enabled.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What's this TV model? I'd love to look it up and compare to a 2019 Samsung TV upscaling.

I didn't find playing Bloodborne or 1080p Switch games looking mediocre at all.
And you're also the guy that thinks that motion interpolation makes games look better. :p

I just got an x and was messing with that insects app and I'd have to lean more towards 4k over hdr even through hdr is awesome too. When the bug was flying through the air the sky behind it went from gray to blue. 4k over hdr but still, hdr is great

Fbh

The thing with HDR is that getting the most out of it will depend both on your TV and how well the devs have implemented the features. When both things are on point it's great and IMO makes a much bigger difference than resolution.

But 4K or higher than 1080p resolutions in general tend to be a more straightforward upgrade.

So for me I'd say it's Good HDR > 4K > Bad/average HDR

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If your TV has at least 700 nits of brightness and good upscaling, probably HDR makes more sense.
At the end its personal preference though. Try and see.

Allandor

Well, if your TV can only handle 1080 + HDR or 4k, than I don't think HDR would be that great on that TV. Than just use 4k @ 10 bit without HDR.
I would normally recommend HDR over 4k, but if the TV can't really handle it, it just makes not sense.

or did you mean 1080 @ 10 Bit or 4k @ 8 Bit. Than use the 1080p if your display can handle this. Color-banding should be gone if 10 bit really works. 10 bit is not HDR, it is just deeper colors. HDR is another information stream for the TV.

edit:
lol, there is a user that is called 10Bit here, had to change the text a bit so it is no longer a reference ^^

Last edited:

GymWolf

Reviews say it has good to excellent upscaling. o_O

I really doubt that one of the best 2018 TVs, as you say, would display 1080p content mediocrely. That wouldn't fly when 1080p content vastly outnumbers 4K content.
It's not bad if you only watch 1080p contenent, but even 1440p is a galaxy far far away in term of clarity.

Also it depends on the game, some games are good, some like borderlands3 pc is ugly as fuck at 1080p.

It's not one of the best because i say so, they make a blind contest (probably the only one) with the better oled of 2018 and mine was the overall better, it was with the famous asian guy who make review for TVs on yt.
Not really an official award, but better than nothing :lollipop_squinting:

Zimmy68

6rZ8g8R.jpg

What model of tv do you have? If you're not mistaken and it really only supports HDR at 1080p I suspect you aren't seeing true HDR.

Last edited:
I have a Sony KD-50X690E 4k television that has HDR capabilites, yet I went to use my Xbox One S and was given a plethora of details that TV supports:

Resolution: 4k UHD (60Hz)
Movies and TV: 4k 10-bit at 24Hz/HDR10 Video
Gaming: Doesn't supoort 4k 10-bit at 60Hz or HDR10 for gaming

When I turned on HDR mode in Death Stranding my resolution dropped to 1080, I turn off HDR and it jumps back to 4k.

Iorv3th

I have a Sony KD-50X690E 4k television that has HDR capabilites, yet I went to use my Xbox One S and was given a plethora of details that TV supports:

Resolution: 4k UHD (60Hz)
Movies and TV: 4k 10-bit at 24Hz/HDR10 Video
Gaming: Doesn't supoort 4k 10-bit at 60Hz or HDR10 for gaming

When I turned on HDR mode in Death Stranding my resolution dropped to 1080, I turn off HDR and it jumps back to 4k.

You probably have to turn on enhanced HDMI input.

Well I must say that I am surprised by the amount of responses and feel quite silly I left out the model number of my TV. Since having some time to address my television, there are a few things to make note of:

- I updated the firmware on the TV, from version 4.00 to 4.40, the release notes mention "improved TV performance"
- There are specific HDMI ports for "enhanced" content and an option to enable the higher resolutions, which I enabled.
- When attached to the PS4 Pro, for HDR using 24, 25, and 30Hz with RGB
- When I use YUV420, HDR is not enabled

I'll keep testing it and post an update.

marquimvfs

Benjamin_MFF Benjamin_MFF I've just checked the manual online, and it is pretty vague to my taste. My best guess would be to follow some of the recommendations that i found in it:
- Connect the device on HDMI port 1 or 2 (2 is the only one that supports arc);
- Change the HDMI auto settings to MODE 2;
- Test viewing mode on GAME and CUSTOM modes. See if you can enable HDR without a drop in resolution on one of those two.

Last edited:
I did some tinkering tonight and was able to enable 4K HDR from the PS4 Pro, tested Death Stranding with a resounding success. The biggest hitch has been utilizing the capture card, which can only do 4k or HDR in 1080. At the moment, I'm going to focus on 4k recording and streaming. Once I have a workflow for that, then I'll edit the HDR footage and see how it fairs. I am thankful for all the replies in this thread.

Top Bottom