• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 8/18/2017: CHAOS STOLE YOUR LADDERS

agBqLgO.png

8-4 Play 8/18/2017: CHAOS STOLE YOUR LADDERS
Mike Drucker joins us to talk Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, No Man’s Sky, Yakuza Kiwami, Kid Icarus: Uprising, vampire restaurants, automatic bidets, and more!

Running Time: 1:58:16
・ Direct Download (67.7MB)
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
・ Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
・ Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
19:08 – Splatoon 2
33:38 – Sonic Mania
49:54 – No Man’s Sky
56:42 – Yakuza Kiwami
1:07:18 – Interview with Mike Drucker
1:41:29 – News: Valve’s new game, SWERY’s new game, DQ Builders 2, New Ocarina of Time Glitch
1:54:12 – Closing Comments

Super fun episode this week!

Regarding news, I generally like the segment. I think sometimes it's fun to hear brief snarky responses on stuff you don't care about. I like when you chat about lesser known or Japanese specific stories you care about. Like the Kamiya thing this week I had not heard about on GAF or any other podcasts so I really appreciated it. Don't feel obliged to talk about stuff you don't want to though, it's not why I listen to the show.

8 - 4 HYPE !

6oP2vi7.gif

Just got off from work, cracking open a cold one while starting up Sonic Mania for the first time and listening to the podcast.

Good times.

Good times.

Great episode this week! My vote for the whole news debate is definitely less news. There are a million podcasts and websites that already cover gaming news. While I like hearing you guys react to stuff, I don't care about most of the news itself because I've heard most of it already. The recent discussions about your own work and interviews with other folks in localization have been outstanding. More of that! Also I love hearing about your lives in Japan (read: more McDonald's updates).

Super fun episode this week!

Regarding news, I generally like the segment. I think sometimes it's fun to hear brief snarky responses on stuff you don't care about. I like when you chat about lesser known or Japanese specific stories you care about. Like the Kamiya thing this week I had not heard about on GAF or any other podcasts so I really appreciated it. Don't feel obliged to talk about stuff you don't want to though, it's not why I listen to the show.

I agree. It's totaly ok if you guys want to skip DOTA news in 8-4.
(or Destiny news :p )

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Im fine with news if its something the cast cares about...otherwise just skip it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
RE: the news: maybe it doesn't seem that way to the people having the conversation but it never comes across like you're talking about things for the sake of being comprehensive or whatever, and I think people are more interested in your reactions to the news than the news itself so it's fine if you dismiss things out of hand because you simply don't give a shit. I'm fine with it as is, but don't feel like you're obliged to cover everything--talk about whatever you want, ditch the rest.

News - I think I'm agreeing with the other people here when I say: Talk about the stories you care about. Definitely talk about Japan stories that we may not have heard about or that you have a unique perspective on versus the rest of the games world. Feel free to skip the rest. Some of the best discussions/bets arise out of conflict over news.

Also I lol'd at the Let's Play conversation. Sarah was right in calling out that the concept being discussed was basically a Let's Play, but John is right that there is a big difference between the common Let's Play and a Let's Play helmed by a professional comedy writer. That said, I personally have no interest in either. The only Let's Play-type content I've ever enjoyed is Game Center CX and that's because it's an hour of finely-edited scenes with a professional comedian interspersed with other content (e.g. location visits to arcades). Real-time Let's Plays are absolutely beyond me.

rmanthorp

Mike Drucker set the Groose loose

Incredible.

RE: News - I don't mind using interesting news articles as talking points - if there's no worthwhile news one week you could just skip the section.

Solobbos

A great episode, as per usual. About the news, I enjoy hearing about them and getting your take, particularly on Japanese news and things that you deem interesting. Please keep the segment in the show!

Ditto on the news section, would prefer if it was stories the wider team were interested in talking about - my least favourite 8-4 moments are when you can practically hear the eye roll followed by a dismissive comment.
Rarely unjustified but it tends to just shut the conversation down rather than start one.

Twas a great episode, Drucker was fun, bidet discussion especially.
No mention of the awful squatter toilets though? Used them once in a station in Tokyo..

Haven't listened to this episode yet, but curious as to what happened to Roy.

Did he get tossed to the curb because of Sarah? That was implied in a jokey way a while back and I don't think I've heard about him since.

Question for the 8-4 crew: given MHXX Switch's rather tepid 80k sales its first week, what's the culture around MH like these days in Japan? I have to imagine the days of grabbing a PSP and finding hunting parties everywhere are long gone.

Top Bottom