• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 year old girl loses 66 pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ, now I really have no excuses. From 186 pounds at the start:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/breanna-bond-9-loses-66-pounds-133918949--abc-news-health.html

Breanna Bond weighed 186 pounds by the time she was 9 years old.

The extra weight made it difficult for her to breathe and move around. The California girl soon became a target for bullies. "Everybody at school would call me names," she said. "They would call me fatty, they would call me fat head."

Breanna's weight gain began when she was a baby, reaching 100 pounds by the time she got to kindergarten. She couldn't keep up with the friends who were running while they played.

"Her pediatrician always said that she'd grow into her body and then, after a while, we went and got other doctors' opinions," Breanna's mother, Heidi Bond of Clovis, Calif., said today on " Good Morning America." "We had her tested for everything from thyroid to diabetes - her endocrinology got tested - allergies, and everything came out fine so we knew at that point we had to step things up."

Bond and Breanna's father, Dan Bond, decided to take matters into their own hands. Heidi Bond designed an exercise routine for her daughter and the entire family. They began to walk the 4-mile trail near their home.

"There was nothing that stopped us," Heidi Bond said. "We went at night, in the rain, in the hail, in the fog, nothing. We had a zero-tolerance policy. We're doing the walk, no matter what."

Before long, Breanna had lost 37 pounds. In less than a year, her weight loss totaled 66 pounds.

In addition to following a diet that limits fat to 20 grams per day, Breanna also began using her home treadmill for an hour and 15 minutes each day. She also started to play basketball and joined the swim team.

"[That] I can be involved in sports and I can keep up with my friends when we're playing," Breanna said on "GMA" of her favorite aspect of her weight loss. "I can just move more."

Heidi Bond said Breanna inspires her every day.

"She is an inspiration to the world and all children who are having weight issues across America, that you can do it with a pair of tennis shoes and motivation," Bond said.

The Bonds offered three tips for other parents who are looking to keep their children healthy: start as soon as possible, exercise and enforce healthy eating habits.

"Don't be afraid to do the tough love," Dan Bond said on "GMA." "It's worth it in the long run. It's their life that's at stake."

hiryu64

So they've not identified the cause for the extreme weight gain other than just "slow metabolism" then? Seems very odd that there wouldn't be some underlying issue that contributed. Hell, she weighed more at 9 years old than I have in my entire life! Anyway, good to see that she managed to overcome it.

Amir0x

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I didn't even weigh 66 lbs when I was her age... wtf were her parents feeding her (better question: what weren't they feeding her)?

I actually give the parents props. They had trouble keeping the girl from ballooning, and had bad advice from a Doctor ("she'll grow into her body"... the fuck?), but they went to many doctors and they found nothing extraordinarily wrong with her. So they admitted they were the problem and began to implement meaningful changes into their daughters life, which included "tough love."

Sure they should have more carefully policed their daughters intake when she was younger, but this is a case where they turned the ship around in time for the right reasons.

Not sure how I feel about this story. Should I commend their parents for taking the initiative to help their daughter lose weight? Or, does this offset their lack of judgement if they are the cause of her weight gain?

Damn, 186 lbs at only 9 years old? Jesus Christ. I'm 19 (male), 6' tall, and I weigh 185. I can't even imagine a 9 year old girl weighing that much. Glad she started an exercise routine though, and that she actually stuck to it.

Good for her.

Kickz

uzC8g.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Jesus, it's awful it got to that point but mad respect to the parents and her for getting that shit on lockdown.

I actually give the parents props. They had trouble keeping the girl from ballooning, and had bad advice from a Doctor ("she'll grow into her body"... the fuck?), but they went to many doctors and they found nothing extraordinarily wrong with her. So they admitted they were the problem and began to implement meaningful changes into their daughters life, which included "tough love."

Sure they should have more carefully policed their daughters intake when she was younger, but this is a case where they turned the ship around in time for the right reasons.
You are right. They fucked up but then took steps to fix things, which is a lot more than can be said for other parents. I hate seeing families where both parents are 300lbs, eating McDonalds, and shoveling the food into their children. Those kids really don't have a chance...

I'm interested in knowing what on earth she was eating beforehand.

Good on her though for actually making positive change in her life.

ezrarh

Yeah definitely good on the parents for changing it up. It pains me to see obese little kids because most of the time it's the parents fault, whether that is from negligence, ignorance, or just their own bad behavior, kids should not be subject the these kind of weight problems.

There seriously must be some kind of underlying shit wrong for her to even get to that point at 9, but good on the parents for doing what they could to change things.

Soul_Pie

WTF I'm at a loss as to how that could happen.

I'm 5'11 and have never been close to that weight.

But good for her for losing it all, hopefully it's all smooth sailing from here.

braves01

Banned
It's weird, I was like 120 (5'0'') at her age, which is still big I think, but I DID grow out of it without any special exercise program.

SRG01

How the fuck do you let your kid get this big in the first place.

Bad medical advice, like the article said.

Although, they must've been pretty incompetent if they said that she'll grow into her body when she's obviously obese.

It's weird, I was like 120 (5'0'') at her age, which is still big I think, but I DID grow out of it without any special exercise program.

You were 5'0" at 9 years old? What?

WTF I'm at a loss as to how that could happen.

I'm 5'11 and have never been close to that weight.

But good for her for losing it all, hopefully it's all smooth sailing from here.

I'm 6'6" and can get down to just 25 pounds over that if I diet and stop building muscle. It's fairly hard to picture.

Sure, I believe I was taller than that at 9.

edit: just checked, I was 4'11" at age 9.

Skeyser

Although, they must've been pretty incompetent if they said that she'll grow into her body when she's obviously obese.

Still, who the hell would listen to a "doctor" who tells you it's normal that your 9 year old daughter is as heavy as a grown man...

Good for them, and I'm glad the girl is leading a healthier lifestyle, but I hate that this is a story getting national attention. She's going to be under a lot of pressure to not gain weight back now.

I can just see how much attention this will get from shitty parents using it as an example to their girls. My ex-girlfriend was put on Weight Watchers by her mother when she was about this age, and she wasn't even fat. Not a surprise that she has body image issues galore and bouts with bulimia.

braves01

Banned

What is that, 3rd grade? I think that's right. I remember being 99th percentile for height and weight (and thinking how cool that made me). I think 4'7'' is around the 50th percentile for 10 year olds. I'm 6'5'' now so I've always been taller than most.

What is that, 3rd grade? I think that's right. I remember being 99th percentile for height and weight (and thinking how cool that made me). I think 4'7'' is around the 50th percentile for 10 year olds. I'm 6'5'' now so I've always been taller than most.

Tell us the truth...

There was one asshole who was a smidgen taller than you and he took all your thunder and got all the ladies didn't he?

My cold, harsh childhood. :(

Amir0x

Banned
Still, who the hell would listen to a "doctor" who tells you it's normal that your 9 year old daughter is as heavy as a grown man...

They didn't. They went to many other Doctors to get more tests and second opinions. When those avenues were exhausted and they confirmed there was nothing especially wrong with their daughter, they realized they were the problem and worked hard to fix it. They all walked together as a family, ate healthy as a family, encouraged each other as a family.

Seriously, we should be encouraging stuff like this instead of trying to naysay the mistakes. Every parent makes mistakes, some worse than others... but these parents saw the mistake, recognized where they were at fault and fixed it before the girl was even 10 years old. Let's celebrate this bit of good news :p

K.Sabot

Isn't it considered child abuse to let a child get that obese for her age?

Good for her otherwise, seemed like an obvious correction and the parents didn't want to recognize that there was a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom