• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A retrospective of Sakurai's Wild Ride (Smash For hype train)

Do you guys remember when we waited all night because the picture of the day was late and we thought it would be something huge? A mod even had to lock the thread for a while, and then 5 am, boom, stage music or something forgettable like that.
Good times

JCX

Fantastic summary. Not as fun as the Brawl hype train, mostly because it wasn't as leaky, but still a fun ride.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actually I'd love to forget the weta incident but that shit is permanently burned into my memory

The Hype is Crazy.

wcc7lA5.png

Never Forget

Vyse24

Those were fun nights. Honestly, the one I remember the most was the announcement of Skull Kid as an AT. Starting from that, AT updates became the nights a thousand dreams died.

trixx

Fantastic game all in all. Much, much better than brawl. SIngle player content could've been ace with an adventure mode, true break the targets and reach the platforms

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It was a wild ride for sure. PotD ruined my sleep schedule. It was really fun seeing the Smashgaf thread go insane when the PotD showed up late. Cakes, Fanfics, Neiteio's fake conversations, heavenly boot(ie)s etc...visiting the Smash speculation thread was always worth a laugh to say the least.
Nothing in the last few years of gaming got me as hyped as hearing the "shing" followed by the fiery smash logo. God damn the trailers were amazing. Gotta give props to Sakurai and the team for them. I ain't even mad we didn't get a proper intro since we got these.
After Brawl (and after playing Xenoblade Chronicles) my two most wanted characters were Mega Man and Shulk. I got 'em both. Crazyness. Mega Man's trailer was the most hyped I ever got for anything gaming related. I couldn't sleep that day.
And then I got so many more characters I didn't even know I wanted like Ryu, Bowser jr. and Cloud. This game just fully delivered for me.
Well except for Wolf and Snake getting the axe but you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, eh?
Man I already miss the hype train...Smash 5 when? Need more of them trailers Sakurai.
Nah enjoy your vacation.

Also shame on you OP for skipping Captain Falcon's glorious announcement trailer, that shit was super hype and also showed the blind Gematsu sheeple the light of truth.
the gematsu rumor was nearly 100% true tho, especially with later info tha5 chrom was made at onw point until sakurai changed his mine

Zubz

Banned
I was only a GameFAQs user for the Brawl hype train, so the GAF train for Smash 4 will forever be memorable to me. Thank you, Hylian, for that recap of the Smash 4 Speculation Cycle, and thank you to all of you for making it even more interesting here on GAF, what with your fanfics, your boots, and your... Gonzo.

Granted, I'm a firm believer that Bamco's working on a launch window NX port. I'm also expecting at least one newcomer in that port, and further DLC for the port down the road, with or without Sakurai. However, Sakurai definitely seems like he's done with the game for now, and it's not going to be the same without him.

Ryce

the gematsu rumor was nearly 100% true tho, especially with later info tha5 chrom was made at onw point until sakurai changed his mine
Yeah, there's evidence supporting all three Gematsu inaccuracies.

Chrom
Source Gaming said:
Sakurai: Here I give the example of Chrom. When it came time to decide on a character from “Fire Emblem: Awakening”, I had even thought of a moveset for him. However in the long run, he was just in between Marth and Ike, so he wasn’t added. However, when I thought of the “Sword and Magic” concept for Robin, it was an character oozing with personality.

Pokémon from X/Y
Source Gaming said:
Sakurai: If I had to offer up one exception from this time, it would be for Pokémon. We knew there was going to be a new release soon, so we left one spot open for a new Pokémon, and everything else continued according to plan.

Chorus Kids
  • Sneaky Spirit Smash Run enemy (the other Smash Run enemies correspond to playable series, besides Ice Climber, which was also cut)
  • Rhythm Heaven music awkwardly tacked onto Miiverse stage in a patch (the rest of the Miiverse music is already on the disc)
  • Cut "rhythm" series symbol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I dunno what it is about Smash, but it's one of the only game series where trailers and announcements can make me feel like a kid again. Smash 4 was the series getting back on track after the disappointing Brawl, and I'm happy that I've now found more of a community to play this game with (something sorely lacking with me post college when I used to play 64 and Melee religiously).

Top Bottom