• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A software quirk caused Discord's April Fools' video to accidentally rack up more than 1.4 billion YouTube views

Draugoth

Gold Member

Like just about every other company in the Western world, Discord rattled off an April Fools' gag yesterday about adding loot boxes to its social media platform. Fast-forward to April 2, just 24 hours later, and that goofy little clip has blown past 1.4 billion—yes, that's billion—views.

That's a massive milestone. How massive, as the Doctor once said, depends on the context: The Baby Shark Dance, for instance, currently has 10 times that many views. But it's been on the 'Tubes for seven years, while the Discord clip arrived, y'know, yesterday.

I'm going to take a guess before looking to see if I'm right:

The short video length combined with it auto-playing on Discord for all users led to the high play count.

Am I close?

Kinda:
"The clip apparently played in the background of Discord's toast notification, the little pop-up messages that appear at the bottom of your screen for a few seconds to let you know something is happening: You've got email, a Steam friend is playing a new game, or whatever. "

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kinda:
"The clip apparently played in the background of Discord's toast notification, the little pop-up messages that appear at the bottom of your screen for a few seconds to let you know something is happening: You've got email, a Steam friend is playing a new game, or whatever. "
The fact that this sort of programmatic manipulation of Youtube's algorithm didn't get detected and shut down... that's kind of frightening actually.

Top Bottom