• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AAA Games Should Rely On Famous IPs To Avoid Risks, Claims Tencent VP

From article cover:

Talk about the death of innovation lol. Thoughts?
When Spider-man made a huge splash in PS4, it was a surprise.

Go look up old forum posts. There are plenty of people who didn't realize how successful it got. This is because for a long time games were badly made when used as money maker attached to entertainment IPs. One major flaw is they were usually made to go with blockbuster films, except they had to rush it because it takes more time to make the game than you do film. So the game end up half baked.

Spider-Man on PS4 is an outlier of a good game based on famous IP. And now all the copycats are failing. The games has to be good first, the good IP is just a bonus.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If this what the CEOs at the big pubs collectively think, then this sets a really ominous precedent for AAA games. They'll accelerate their own demise this way.

Now that they've either laid off or lost their visionaries and creative mavericks then they got nothing else left than to clutch their legacy IPs as a safety net.
I think the problem isn't what they think because their sole responsibility is to make the company generate profits, but that an exec of a company that has too many hands in the industry might be pushing for this thinking in other companies they have shares from

mortal

Gold Member
A bunch of suits taking over gaming has been simultaneously good and bad for gaming.
Devs and publishers within the AAA space are already risk averse as it is, and if they were to adopt this mindset across the board it would signal the death of creativity or any potential for creativity.
That would also result in me purchasing even fewer AAA games, if any.

OuterLimits

This is why I admire Vanillaware so much, they always make new IP and always take risk to make new gameplay style and even willing put their own money on the line to make their vision come true.

Agreed. However, they honestly create more risk for themselves by not releasing their stellar work on PC. Unicorn Overlord is the exact type of rather unique strategy game that would likely sell very well on Steam.

Fortunately they did release it on Switch though since that version appears to be selling better than other consoles.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed. However, they honestly create more risk for themselves by not releasing their stellar work on PC. Unicorn Overlord is the exact type of rather unique strategy game that would likely sell very well on Steam.

Fortunately they did release it on Switch though since that version appears to be selling better than other consoles.
I think they should have released this game on PC instead of Xbox because let’s be honest here majority of Xbox players won’t give this game a chance.

Top Bottom