• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aces of Thunder announced for PSVR2. From War Thunder developers.

Rudius

Experience the thrill of aerial combat like never before with Aces of Thunder, the upcoming VR game made specifically with capabilities of PlayStation®VR2 in mind. The game's physically accurate flight and damage models derived from the popular War Thunder military action game ensure that battles are immersive and believable, taking place exclusively from the cockpit view and with complete control over all flight systems. Wishlist now so you won't miss release date!

gM9toxZ.png

nElvO5w.png

JSTiyWB.png

qUGq1xT.png

PkRpTI0.png

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I can't wait for top secret plane detailsto be revealed in forums to prove a point 👍

Game looks interesting as I was hoping for another Ace Combat effort. I need to see a playable section first.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, nice, VTOL VR style cockpit hand controls, I didn't think they'd go that far. Any word on if it's single player and what not? That'd be great. It really makes no sense to make a spin off if it's still going to be f2pvp2w focused like before so they limit the player base and maintain/update two games.

Here's how the controls work in VTOL VR so you know what to expect on that front (not visually obviously, this is an indie game though if you get past this you will see some cool effects like the AR helmet stuff viewing through your cockpit with the external cameras of the plane filling in blanks etc.).

Skim around this vid after the beginning, first it has some flying and chill dogfight, then a mission with ground and air targets at ~9:20, then a stealth night mission escaping hostile territory full of sam sites, gunboats and air patrols (a bit of a reenactment of Firefox with Clint Eastwood) at ~24:00+

Now sure physical controls may be better for basic flight (I'd say it's a wash for standard gamepads with their tiny wiggle sticks that don't have much room for movement but a physical hotas/stick is definitive) but as you see with VR controls you manipulate all kinds of other awesome stuff on top.

Granted WWII planes don't have all this fancy shit (but still plenty non stick controls to manipulate with your hands) but if it's like the main War Thunder game it will eventually get much more modern aircraft too (and if it's campaign based unlike War Thunder then I guess a sequel will have them).​

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I can't stand motion controls for moving virtual sticks since I have no feedback and my hand ends up a lot farther from where it should be. Hopefully it also has analog stick controls.

SilentUser

Oh, nice, VTOL VR style cockpit hand controls, I didn't think they'd go that far. Any word on if it's single player and what not? That'd be great. It really makes no sense to make a spin off if it's still going to be f2pvp2w focused like before so they then maintain/update two similar but different games.

Here's how the controls work in VTOL VR so you know what to expect on that front (not visually obviously, this is an indie game).

Skim around this vid after the beginning, first it has some flying and chill dogfight, then a mission with ground and air targets at ~9:20, then a stealth night mission escaping hostile territory full of sam sites, gunboats and air patrols (a bit of a reenactment of Firefox with Clint Eastwood) at ~24:00+

VTOL is a pretty cool game, the gameplay is great. Wonder if they will ever bring it to PSVR2.

Alexios

Another existing VR game that is probably more similar than VTOL VR in the plane capabilities is Warplanes: Battles over Pacific but I don't have any videos on hand that show it (or its WWI prequel) and the hand controls as nicely as VTOL VR (and they're simpler, more arcadey games afaik).

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
For a minute I thought it said from Warhawk developers and I got really excited. I guess I'll try it out.

Romulus

Should be really fun and look incredibly good.

Another existing VR game that is probably more similar than VTOL VR in the plane capabilities is Warplanes: Battles over Pacific but I don't have any videos on hand that show it (or its WW1 prequel) and the hand controls as nicely as VTOL VR (and they're simpler, more arcadey games afaik).

I own this. The game is another one of the wtf ports. Runs on quest 2, basically a phone processor the size of really small phone and looks like that. 72fps and high resolution too. A custom psvr2 ww2 fighter will be a looker.

Last edited:

Rudius

Oh, nice, VTOL VR style cockpit hand controls, I didn't think they'd go that far. Any word on if it's single player and what not? That'd be great. It really makes no sense to make a spin off if it's still going to be f2pvp2w focused like before so they limit the player base and maintain/update two games.

Here's how the controls work in VTOL VR so you know what to expect on that front (not visually obviously, this is an indie game though if you get past this you will see some cool effects like the AR helmet stuff viewing through your cockpit with the external cameras of the plane filling in blanks etc.).

Now sure physical controls may be better for basic flight (I'd say it's a wash for standard gamepads with their tiny wiggle sticks that don't have much room for movement but a physical hotas/stick is definitive) but as you see with VR controls you manipulate all kinds of other awesome stuff on top.

Granted WW2 planes don't have all this fancy shit (but still plenty non stick controls to manipulate with your hands) but if it's like the main War Thunder game it will eventually get much more modern aircraft too (and if it's campaign based unlike War Thunder then I guess a sequel will have them).​

The image from the end of the trailer seems to be single player. Notice the bombers flying in formation.

Last edited:

Alexios

This image from the end of the trailer seems to be single player. Notice the bombers flying in formation.
Sure but War Thunder itself has some single player/coop mission content, historic missions and stuff (not to mention all their so elaborate scripted PR videos), it's just clearly not the focus like it was in say, Wings of Prey or is in the IL-2 Sturmovik games etc. so a confirmation would be nice to have.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I thought this would support my flight stick. Would've been day 1, but I have zero interest in motion controls.

Crayon

Whoa it is a war thunderr spinoff. I got to see the trailerr earlier and I was wondering.

Now I get to pick this or wingman!!! Probabaly both but I need to pick one to play first.

Now I get to pick this or wingman!!! Probabaly both but I need to pick one to play first.
Press fire to shoot a heat-seeking missile or aim yourself with machine guns. For me the choice is clear.

I also like there aren't dozens of HUD icons everywhere.

Aces of the Pacific was the reason for me to switch from Amiga to PC.
Aces of Thunder seems to be a spiritual remake of Aces of the Pacific & Aces over Europe.

Germany campaign?
Pretty sure. Most footage in the trailer is shown from inside German and Japanese planes.
Can't wait to blast Allies scum from the skies.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
im assuming these are the type of people that can’t handle roller coasters?
Ace Combat VR missions was worst case of VR motion sickness I had outside of Bonelabs.

VR plane simulators are cool and every single one is welcomed with open arms, but why textures look like taken straight from IL-2 Cliffs of Dover?
Also "physically accurate flight" with "War Thunder" in one sentence?

Alexios

Granted WWII planes don't have all this fancy shit (but still plenty non stick controls to manipulate with your hands) but if it's like the main War Thunder game it will eventually get much more modern aircraft too (and if it's campaign based unlike War Thunder then I guess a sequel will have them).​
Here's another VTOL VR video while ya wait for this. Weird I didn't see any real PR announcements going out for this on Gaijin/Sony social media etc. beyond the video drop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom