• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Addicted to tanning: This could be you at age 26... Dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hteng

Banned
i don't get why people (specially westerners) that tan, is it because you get 4 seasons from where you at and you want to get as much sun when it's summer? I mean i'm from SE asia, it's tropical weather here and sunny all day and i often hide indoors to avoid the heat.

To each their own tastes.

But still, implying pale = unhealthy is really fallacious, and you know it. You can be quite active and healthy and not have to be outside 24/7.

Of course it's not actually indicative of your health but that's what people think. It's an ignorant and unfair world out there.

jaxword

i don't get why people (specially westerners) that tan, is it because you get 4 seasons from where you at and you want to get as much sun when it's summer? I mean i'm from SE asia, it's tropical weather here and sunny all day and i often hide indoors to avoid the heat.

Skin is a trickle-down status symbol.

Once upon a time (the mythical 1950s, perhaps), only the idly rich could spend time lounging on beaches and soaking up sun.

Having a tan became associated with money and status.

So then they invented tanning beds for people who couldn't afford trips to Jamaica but still wanted it.

And what happens to the kids who grew up absorbing that fallacious ideology?

jersey-shore-cast0cxu7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom