• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BG3 (and potential dlc), do you think Larian should make another D:OS game, another BG game, or move on to something else?

After BG3, what would you like to see from Larian?

• Another turn-based Divinity/Original Sin game

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Another turn-based Baldurs Gate/DnD game

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • A new turn-based crpg

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • A new rtwp crpg (I too like to dream)

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • A game in a new genre (action adventure, open world, etc)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Who? What? Why?

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
Larian has massively increased its studio size and development capacity by opening branch/support studios in several different countries (unnecessarily-cool map from their website below)
5W9t97t.jpg

Of the big modern 'crpg' devs (Owlcat, Obsidian, Inxile and Larian), they're the only ones whose next project isn't announced or heavily rumoured yet.
Even though I really enjoyed DOS I & II, and will probably love BG3, they're also the only team who have just been making the same games, divinity games, (not all the same genre, but you know what I mean) for a while and I would really like to see something "new" from them. Yes, BG3 is new, and I will probably love it but it is essentially a divinity-style sequel to older bg games.

Personally, I would like them to make another turn-based crpg but in a sci-fi setting with darker tones. Something like The Ascent but as an open-ended crpg.
There are still innovations in the genre that I believe those 4 big studios, and larian specifically, could be able to push.

What would you like to see from them next?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

They had a Divinity project in the works, but have stopped development on it so theyll probably go back to it.

Id personally wish Larian did BG4 or BG2 Remake. Would be cool if modders remade Baldurs Gate 2 in BG3 Engine as an extra module like they for IWD and BG1 in Neverwinter 2.

Larian has become the pride of Belgium recently with some stellar games coming out of the studio. Personally I want them to keep expanding upon the Divinity series, but I would like a first-person camera mode in the next game, plus more romance options.

th4tguy

That’s a lot of acronyms that I’m finding hard to find motivation to figure out.

Edit:Boulders gate! I’m dumb

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
That’s a lot of acronyms that I’m finding hard to find motivation to figure out.
Edit: Boulders gate! I'm dumb
Yeah, the title is long enough as it is, couldn't expand any of the acronyms without it being silly.

Still, I made a poll option just for you, mr guy

Fbh

I'd like to see a different setting. Maybe something futuristic, Cyberpunk or even fantasy but in a more unique setting.

I've only played Original Sin 1 and while I loved the gameplay I was always a bit turned off by the very vanilla medieval fantasy setting

daveonezero

Banned
What was the isometric turn based game that was from the infinity engine era that had the unique steam punk and magic setting?

I never played it but it seemed like a unique concept.

Mister Wolf

Hopefully more DND. It's better than they're Divinity universe with a better combat system as well. The magic armor system in Divinity fucking sucks.

Jedusable

Neo Member
A Spelljammer game would be great, it's what they were leaning before turning it into BG3.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I'd be AOK with BG4 or DLC but NGL, it better be made PDQ or they could make D:OS ASAP or AEAP or even a new IP AFAIAC either way, IDC

BBL, BBQ

Last edited:

acidagfc

They spent a lot of time bringing DND5 rules to a computer game for BG3, so I personally would not mind anything in DND setting.
A new Icewind Dale perhaps?

But honestly, any game from them is a good game, so I'd take anythibg.

Edit: oh, fuck, modern version of Arcanum would be amazing. I vote that!

Last edited:
Arcanum? Was that turn based?

It WAS Arcanum, and iirc, the combat could be set to real time or turn based. Amazing game. It was a Troika game, the same studio behind Temple of Elemental Evil and another lil game you may have heard of, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Fools idol

Banned
They are the best cRPG developer left by a country mile and it would be tragic to see them stray from what they are good at.

Personally, I would like to see a classic style cRPG from them in the Fallout-esque genre.

My dream game from them would be either a remake of Fallout 1/2 or a true sequel to the early games in classic style. They have aged poorly compared to other classics like BG2

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Larian has massively increased its studio size and development capacity by opening branch/support studios in several different countries (unnecessarily-cool map from their website below)
5W9t97t.jpg

Of the big modern 'crpg' devs (Owlcat, Obsidian, Inxile and Larian), they're the only ones whose next project isn't announced or heavily rumoured yet.
Even though I really enjoyed DOS I & II, and will probably love BG3, they're also the only team who have just been making the same games, divinity games, (not all the same genre, but you know what I mean) for a while and I would really like to see something "new" from them. Yes, BG3 is new, and I will probably love it but it is essentially a divinity-style sequel to older bg games.

Personally, I would like them to make another turn-based crpg but in a sci-fi setting with darker tones. Something like The Ascent but as an open-ended crpg.
There are still innovations in the genre that I believe those 4 big studios, and larian specifically, could be able to push.

What would you like to see from them next?
I would love to see a Shadowrun game from them. If not, maybe something with Cyberpunk or SciFi vibes, yeah.

Well, at least we'll be getting W40K Star Trader from Owlcat.

They are the best cRPG developer left by a country mile and it would be tragic to see them stray from what they are good at.

Personally, I would like to see a classic style cRPG from them in the Fallout-esque genre.

My dream game from them would be either a remake of Fallout 1/2 or a true sequel to the early games in classic style. They have aged poorly compared to other classics like BG2
Personally I liked Pathfinder WotR better then any Larian game including D:OS2. It was just that amazing. That said, Larian does very good work. Just hoping they would try a different setting vs either D&D or Divinity.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd love to see Dragon Commander turn-based RPG using the same D&D rules and gameplay as in BG3. Dragon Commander was amazing when it comes to story, characters, dialogues and choices that had impact on story, characters arcs and endings, but combat gameplay was... to put it lightly... not very good or interesting.

Nautilus

Banned
The strategy that would make the most sense for them, both criatively and financially, now that they have increase their size by a considerable ammount, is to have two teams: One works on stuff they are known for(So that it gives them financial stability, as those projects are the most likely to succeed) and another team that try and tackles new stuff/genres/ideas that are more risky.

Top Bottom