• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Radeon GPU sales have nosedived

It does if its >=30% cheaper than the competition. Amd is trying to play Nvidia's margins game when they're not the market leader. A very very bad strategy that will lead to the market leader increasing their market share.

Realistically, AMD needs to roll back it's pricing to 2015 era or even prior. They need to go for volume instead of margin in the consumer space. They're killing themselves with their prices. Right now, amd is trying to sell the 7800xt for $499. That GPU should realistically be $399 if they want to shake up the market. They need to cater to the low end and leave Nvidia to the high end. They can't price themselves like Nvidia until they're the GPU leader. This Nvidia pricing minus 10-15% will not cut it.
The reality is they can't just arbitrarily undercut Nvdia by >30% or more, because they buy the same chips from the same company Nvidia does. TSMC charges what they charge for chips made on their advanced nodes, so AMD's cost structure isn't really much different from Nvidia's and they aren't going to take a loss on their niche GPU products for no good reason so they pass those costs on. This is why AMD on a structural level can't just say fuck it we'll charge 50% of what Nvidia charges for similar performance level, that would just make them lose billions of dollars and accomplish nothing because they don't want to sell a lot of GPU's and lose money on each one. They would rather just sell more Ryzen CPU's and make a lot of money on those.

Jinzo Prime

They're related but they're not first grade cousins.

zqnQRBSatqLfhw9wrEQ2k3-1200-80.jpg
In my family, they would definitely show up to the same family reunion; that is not a lot of separation in my opinion. Smart family, though.

There is definitely quite a bit of substance in that cup tho

At the high end, sure.

The most popular nvidia gpus are 60 series cards, however, and AMD beats the pants off of them at that price point. Are people really buying 60 class cards for ray tracing and AI work? Throw in the fact that there's basically only one game worth turning RT on anyway{cyberpunk).

People want the logo.

I will say AMD's release msrp is always dogshit but they nosedive quickly and they're always the better deal after a few months.

twilo99

At the high end, sure.

The most popular nvidia gpus are 60 series cards, however, and AMD beats the pants off of them at that price point. Are people really buying 60 class cards for ray tracing and AI work? Throw in the fact that there's basically only one game worth turning RT on anyway{cyberpunk).

People want the logo.

I will say AMD's release msrp is always dogshit but they nosedive quickly and they're always the better deal after a few months.

Sure, I’ve been using AMD’s mid tier cards for almost 7 years now, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue the trend, I guess it will depend on pricing.

Some AMD cards hold their price .. I’ve been waiting for the 7900xtx to come down for a while now but it’s been lingering in the $1000 range for over a year.

Overall I’ve been happy with both my 5700xt and 6800xt .. especially with a mild under volt the xfx 6800xt is a great board.

Sure, I’ve been using AMD’s mid tier cards for almost 7 years now, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue the trend, I guess it will depend on pricing.

Some AMD cards hold their price .. I’ve been waiting for the 7900xtx to come down for a while now but it’s been lingering in the $1000 range for over a year.

Overall I’ve been happy with both my 5700xt and 6800xt .. especially with a mild under volt the xfx 6800xt is a great board.

900 on amazon right now. They were down to like 850 with a sale about a week ago.

I have nvidia. If you're buying high end, I'd definitely want the special sauce. However, you can get a 6750xt for the price of a 4060 and put together a nice system for less than a thousand bucks that can actually handle 1440p going forward. All these people buying 4060's aren't doing it because of of deep learning and ray tracing, it's the brand. Nvidia was always a stronger brand and now it's on another level with the stock price and what not.

smbu2000

Having worst ray tracing performance and undercutting nvidia by just a few bucks aint gonna cut it. They need to play actual capitalism and bring back high end cards for $499-$599. These trillion dollar companies aren't convincing anyone that high end GPUs need to cost $1000+ so they won't lose money. Intel Core i7 2700K launched at a msrp of $332 and the latest equivalent 14700k has a msrp of $419; only about a 26% increase in price. A geforce 680 had a msrp of $499 and the 4080 launched at $1199, a 140% increase. We are being scammed by both companies when it comes to gpus.
The equivalent to the i7-2700K would most likely be the i9-14900KS. At the time it was their highest end consumer cpu at the time. The i7-2700k was also just a tiny 100mhz speed increase (3.5 base/3.9 boost) compared to the previously released i7-2600K (3.4 base/3.8 boost) kind of like the i9-14900k, which released earlier than the KS.

Top Bottom