• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans Ate 19% Less Beef From ’05 to ’14, Report Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickman

Think it's a mix of cost increases and people just realizing the health impacts.

I try to limit my beef intake to once every ten days. But on that tenth day it's a big juicy burger or a steak. I love me some beef.

I love beef but the quality from 09 to now in the cheap ground/cheap cuts has PLUMMETED.

I stopped buying cheap cuts 2 years ago because 50%+ of the time they had disgusting problems, bone chips, way too much fat, almost no marbling.

The only beef I buy now is ground from my local butcher who grinds it every morning and it's so fucking good.

IrishNinja

Well, yeah.

WIYuQoO.png

damn, what happened in 2015?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not the best for your health though.

I disagree. My health has never been better. It may not be directly because of the beef and more about the kind of shit I stopped eating, but it has been a massively positive change for me.

CHC

It's too fucking expensive! Even a cheapo "normal" steak from the supermarket (ie; not a butcher, Whole Foods, whatever) is like 8 - 12 dollars.

I can't do that very often, like maybe once a month. Granted, I kind of just want to eat less meat anyway, but the price is a real deterrent to beef since I'm on a budget.

Tuber

I disagree. My health has never been better. It may not be directly because of the beef and more about the kind of shit I stopped eating, but it has been a massively positive change for me.

In your defense, health isn't binary. It's an incomprehensibly vast web of dietary and behavioral choices (and others) that all contribute to how you're feeling now and how you'll be in ten years.

Cutting out refined sugars would be a massive boon to the overall health of an individual, even if it's at the cost of eating more red meats. The risks of colon cancer from red and processed meat are real, but practically negligible compared to the harm caused by excessive carbohydrate intake common in Western diets.

Or, as some say, everything causes cancer. It's all about moderating and managing the big risks when you can, because you can't avoid them all.

GrapeApes

Shit is too expensive. I'd rather have ground beef than turkey or chicken but my wallet can't fuck with that. Only time I eat beef is if I'm eating out. It's better for my health in the long run.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's too fucking expensive! Even a cheapo "normal" steak from the supermarket (ie; not a butcher, Whole Foods, whatever) is like 8 - 12 dollars.

I can't do that very often, like maybe once a month. Granted, I kind of just want to eat less meat anyway, but the price is a real deterrent to beef since I'm on a budget.

How much does a dinner usually cost you?

Shadybiz

Yeah it's mainly the cost for me. Chicken and pork are way cheaper. My wife and I will go to a nice steak place usually twice per year to treat ourselves, but that's about it.

pablito

I don't for one second believe the medium rare chicken strips picture is how she ate that lol. She cut it up, thought of something funny, and that's the result. She proceeded to cook it after she took the picture.

....right?!

CHC

How much does a dinner usually cost you?

If I cook I try to get it to like under 5 or 6 bucks a portion, if I order food usually like 12 a portion? I spend more some times but it averages to that. I still make a steak at home sometimes, but it really pass the grocery bill when I buy two (live with my GF).

clav

American's weren't eating it because they were exporting it.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, a trade group for beef producers, said the main reason for beef's decline was a reduced supply of meat, because of increased exports: The United States was a net exporter of beef from 2010 to 2013.

probably because more people are becoming woke to da gawd Chicken (and Seafood)

Also correct.

Another reason was increased competition from other meats like chicken and pork, the group said. Droughts during the period covered by the defense council report also cut into the beef supply, said Daren Williams, a spokesman for the organization. Facing higher feed prices, ranchers cut their production, and the price of beef rose.

It takes two years on average for a cow to reach slaughter size, which explains why the nation's cattle stock is just now showing recovery, the association said. The industry group predicts a recovery in beef consumption, as does the Agriculture Department.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good. Beef is bad for the world but... I wonder how much price fluctuations from drought have affected the numbers? I'm dreaming of vat grown ecologically sound fake beef though.

Omadahl

Banned
We eat a lot of turkey. It's healthy, cheap and takes on flavors really well. Cook it in beef broth and it's pretty darn close.

antonz

I imagine pricing had the biggest effect towards the end of that study period. Beef went up by a ridiculous amount on the grounds of "diminished inventory" and all that. I went from Regularly getting Ribeyes for like $3.50 a pound to over $10 a pound and then even when on sale it only dropped to like $7 a pound.

So as you can imagine I cut back my ribeye eating. Not voluntary just the reality of shopping bills. Beef is only now starting to drop again very slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom