• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie Trailer #2; Digital release set for Sept. 2, 2014

devonodev

Nice, I can spend hours just watching AVGN episodes, hopefully this won't just make me wish I was watching them instead. Good on him for actually finishing it though

Awesome for James. I'm sure the movie will be better than anything TGWTG did :p

I really hope he gets to do a send-off for the Nerd and talk more about all the stuff he loves. Those Godzilla reviews are the bomb.

ElTopo

Banned
[
https://twitter.com/8BitSpock/status/491410957302657026/photo/1
BtHXqJzCQAAswdb.jpg

https://twitter.com/mdscur/status/491416586302291968/photo/1
BtHcyAzIcAAZ-Xf.jpg

Why is James dressing like Lloyd Kaufman now?

lloyd-kaufman.jpg

Awesome for James. I'm sure the movie will be better than anything TGWTG did :p

That's a pretty low bar to rise above though.

wondermega

I live right up the street - wish I had tix for the show tonight. But I made sure and bought for the August show so I am good.

I've been watching the nerd for as long as he's done this stuff, very excited for him to finally have released this!

I was gonna buy tix for it for the ny showing as soon as they were available but I thought

Do I really want to go down to the city to watch a fucking angry video game nerd movie?

I kinda regret not buying them, but I'll watch this eventually

Gotta love him for doing it tho

I really was wishing this would somehow have european premiers. Would love to see this live.

In the mean time... I wait!

Congrats James and all those involved!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What an achievement. I'm just thrilled to see that he made it this far. Looking forward to checking out the movie!

I'm seeing it in San Diego on Thursday. I'm not looking forward going downtown during freakin' comic-con but I figure I owe the nerd this much for all the entertainment. I kind of expect the movie to be about as enjoyable as a monkey taking a dump on my face based on the first trailer. I'm not going to bother watching the second trailer.

Went to the San Diego showing. It wasn't fantastic. Didn't help that the audio sync was fucked up. I feel bad for them since they seemed pretty stressed about trying to get it fixed.

The crowd was pretty good, and supportive.

The sidekick character was awful, really should have just been Mike Matei.. I mean, I don't exactly love the guy, but he couldn't have been any worse, and it would at least have been more true to the web series.

It had its moments, but overall it really showed that it was their first crack at a feature film.

On the bright side Rolfe seemed excited to get back to doing web episodes.

SegaShack

I just got back from seeing this in LA today. I have been a huge fan of James since 2005 and have seen all of his videos and absolutely loved 90% of them. When the trailer for the movie first came out I thought it looked completely unwatchable and terrible. Then he took another very long break in between that and trailer #2 because he wanted things to be perfect. Trailer #2 didn't change my opinion either. Out of my love for James' videos I went to see this in theaters as did a few of my friends who also like the nerd.

For anyone who saw the trailers, the movie is nowhere near as terrible as the trailers made them out to be. The movie at the very least is fun, enjoyable, and light-hearted. I wouldn't say it is great, I wouldn't say it is awful.

I would probably give it a 6/10. There are lots of great jokes and comedic moments in it. The plot would get serious at some parts and would detract from how silly the whole movie is. The plot is very flawed, as are some of the characters. My favorite character in the film, James' boss, is only in one or two scenes in the entire film and you never see him again. The girl and James' sidekick don't detract from the movie (I thought they would judging by the trailer), but they don't add anything as well. Other characters just aren't fleshed out enough.

The visuals are easily the worst part of the whole film. I did not expect some advanced visuals from this film, but it isn't even passable. Everything about them seem cheap. The green screen visuals are always much blurrier and darker than the characters in the foreground. Quite a few scenes when it would show the Nerd and crew driving, people started laughing instantly at how fake it looked due to the bad green screen. The CG is just straight up garbage and takes me out of the movie, it looks like a PS1 game.

James made all these update videos about practical effects and working hard on them. I feel really bad for the guy, because the scenes that use practical effects, especially miniatures, are complete garbage. I am not joking when I say that every scene that used a miniature people would start laughing instantly. Imagine watching a tiny cheap die-cast looking vehicle that is very undetailed driving through sand.

I don't know what they were thinking. The audience must of thought all these miniature parts were intentionally bad, judging by their laughter each time one was shown, but I know that James made them out to be a big deal and talked about how much work they were.

The film tries to avoid any legal issues by recreating games visuals and calling them slightly different things. E.T. is called Eee Tee. Every game they show on the screen, even Top Gun, are all recreated, cheap looking visuals. Stuff like this detracts from the overall experience.

For all its issues though, whether it be bad plot, unnecessary characters, or terrible visuals, the movie is genuinely hilarious and had me laughing throughout the whole thing. It was fun to watch, but I can't see myself ever watching it again. I hope James' next movie is much better and that he gets to make a film he has always wanted, instead of just being the nerd. I am glad the movie didn't turn out to be awful, but it does have many flaws. Still a fun watch though.

Top Bottom