• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annihilation Trailer #1 (Dir. Alex Garland (Ex Machina); Natalie Portman)

Shoeless

I own the books, but haven't gotten to reading them yet. I should probably do that asap.

Not quite as far as you, but my position is similar. I've had the Southern Reach trilogy sample sitting on my Kindle for ages now, but haven't committed to buying and reading it yet. I'm currently doing a "comprehensive" reading of Stephen King's the Dark Tower series that includes reading things I missed the first time round like 'Salem's Lot and Insomnia in order to make sure I understand all the references that are in later books.

After that, maybe it's time to tackle this trilogy.

AmanoBuff

Amazing trailer. They really manage to capture the feeling of fear/strangeness/wonder of the books. Really looking forward to this.

Has Paramount always been this risky? Mother and Annihilation seem like some pretty unusual movies for a studio to back

True. I'm guessing they took the risk mostly based on the reputation of the directors. Glad they did.

As someone who loves first contact stories, and truly alien aliens, those opening questions are like music to my ears

Have you read The Three Body Problem? The book (and the entire trilogy) is amazing.

duckroll

There's nothing "risky" about stuff like mother! and Annihilation honestly. Films like these have always been made in Hollywood and distributed by big studios. mother! cost what... 30 million? Can't see Annihilation costing much either. Ex Machina was a 15 million film.

Risky would be what Warner does by bankrolling one 150+ million blockbuster after another and failing to find any success.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reading a discription of the book it seems almost identical to the setup in Roadside Picnic/Stalker.

It is identical to Roadside Picnic yes.

Was Roadside Picnic ever adapted into a film?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It is identical to Roadside Picnic yes.

Was Roadside Picnic ever adapted into a film?

Sort of. Stalker is loosely based on A Roadside Picnic. I also don't think the books are identical at all. They're loosely similar in the general premise but the stories, characters and focus are very different. If anything I'd actually say the movie Stalker is more similar to Annihilation.

moniker

annihilation26huih.jpg

This looks great. Props to the FX department.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
stalker is the film version

I remember now, I only read Roadside Picnic because I heard it was the novel Stalker was based on and Stalker was mentioned when Annihilation was ReadingGAF's darling.

Google

I saw Annihilation on Tuesday evening.

I still cant stop thinking about it. I think it's Garland's greatest piece of work. The tension that builds is somewhat akin to Dunkirk. Slow, monotonous and then FUCKING BANG

WANT TO TALK ABOUT ALL THE THINGS IN THE MOVIE

Kadayi

Banned
I wasn't aware this had gone to Netflix in Europe until a colleague at work mentioned it. Just watched it. I will give it a tentative thumbs up. I think I need to watch it again once I've cogitated on it fully. Definitely would say it is worth a watch for anyone who found the trailer intriguing. I would have liked to have seen it at the cinema if I'm honest though, just to soak in the visuals more.

Gaplanet

Such a good movie. Shame it didn't play in theaters outside U.S. and China, sure deserved to be enjoyed trough big screen.

Cons
-few under developed characters
-lazy writing/decisions at times
-weird out-of-nowhere sub-plot

Pros
+Natalie Portman
+pacing
+tension build-up and horror
+visuals
+score
+thought-provoking
+amazing last 20-30 minutes