• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Game on demand service, Antgames, focuses on retro titles. 2000 game licenses, 400 games at launch.

https://mspoweruser.com/antstream-i...service-that-actually-feels-well-thought-out/

With Microsoft’s Project xCloud and Google Stadia releasing this year, it’s already becoming a crowded market for online video game streaming. As those two modern interpretations battle against existing services like PlayStation Now and Shadow, it’ll take something truly unique to break into the market.
Enter Antstream, a video game streaming service that offers a comprehensive retro games library available on pretty much every device you own. All you’ll have to do is install the app on your PC, mobile, tablet or Xbox One and then pick a game to play.

Antstream has already licensed 2,000 retro games across a large range of systems for players to sink their teeth into, although only 400 will be available during the service’s early access period. The list of launch games can be found here.
It’s not just the thought of instantly accessible retro games that makes Antstream so appealing, although it is a very cool concept. Instead, how the service evolves retro games is more impressive.
Much like Rare Replay and other retro game compilations, Antstream introduces in-game challenges, achievements and leaderboards to encourage play. With each achievement, you’ll level up your profile. The concept isn’t as novel as it was before the days of the Xbox 360, but it’s still a great inclusion. There will even be multiple platform versions of the same game with their own achievements! Just like buying an HD remaster.

Launch games:

Dizzy: Fantasy World (Dizzy 3)
Codemasters
Amiga, C64, Spectrum

Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk (Dizzy 6)
Codemasters
Amiga, C64, Spectrum

Dizzy: Spellbound (Dizzy 5) - Spellbound Dizzy
Codemasters
C64, Spectrum

Dominator
System 3 Software Ltd.
Amiga, C64, Spectrum

Dommy
Technos
Arcade

Doombase
Alternative Software
Spectrum

Double Dragon
Technos
Arcade

Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone
Technos
Arcade

Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Technos - Arc System Works
Arcade

Downtown

Atlantis
Spectrum

Dragon Seeds
Jaleco
Arcade

Drunk Policeman
Automata
Spectrum

Dunk Dream
Data East
Arcade
Dunk Dream 95
Data East
Arcade

ETA
Automata
Spectrum

Eagles
Hewson
C64

Earth Defense Force
Jaleco
Arcade

Eggs (Scrambled Egg)
Technos
Arcade

Endzone
Alternative Software
C64, Spectrum

Erik
Atlantis
Amiga

Everyone's a Wally
Alternative Software
C64, Spectrum

Exerion
Jaleco
Arcade

Exolon
Hewson
Amiga, C64, Spectrum

Fantasy
SNK
Arcade

Fast Food (Dizzy)
Codemasters
Amiga, C64, Spectrum

Fatal Fury: King of Fighters (Garou Densetsu: Shukumei no Tatakai)
SNK
Arcade

Fighter's History
Data East
Arcade

Fighter's History Dynamite
Data East
Arcade

Fighting Soccer
SNK
Arcade

Firelord
Hewson
C64, Spectrum

Firestorm
Alternative Software
Spectrum

Flimbo's Quest
System 3 Software Ltd.
Amiga, C64

Football Frenzy
Alternative Software
C64

Footballer of the Year
Gremlin Interactive
C64

Formation Z (Aeroboto)
Jaleco
Arcade

Freddy Holocaust
Alternative Software
C64, Spectrum

Frightmare
Alternative Software
C64, Spectrum

Future Knight
Gremlin Interactive
C64, Spectrum

These are some of the 400 games at launch, the rest is in the link.

I mean, it has a retro focus which IS unique, but it's still another streaming service.

Shifty

Thank goodness someone thought to fill the gaping market hole that is being able to stream the Dizzy series.

DiscoJer

Wasn't there something like this called "Gametap"? Only it didn't stream games, you'd just download them and play it on your PC.

93xfan

Banned
I’m in the minority here it seems, but I like the idea of retro stuff.

I like retro stuff too, but not as a pay per month streaming service. Let me buy and download these games.

Plus streaming means latency. I will never settle for that garbage.

Last edited:
I love "retro" games (I have a hard time calling them retro since these are all games I played when they were new and I don't like admitting I'm old), but $10 per month is simply too much for this service. I don't see this ending well for them.

Top Bottom