• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other PC gamers already set on buying the next generation of CPUs/GPUs that are around the corner?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nah, I upgrade every 4 years or 2 generations now. It truly makes you appreciate the generational leaps.

I used to upgrade every 2 years and it always felt like I had the same PC. 980 Ti>1080>1080 Ti>2080 Ti felt like incremental upgrades every time. Going from a 2080 Ti to a 4090 was a gigantic leap. 4090>6090 will be similar in all likelihood.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I'm very tempted by the 5090, based on the rumours about it.
Very happy with the 4090 / 13900k / 4K setup, and a upgrade is probably not needed, but the temptation is very much real.. as some folks here also mentions, selling the current rig makes a upgrade quite a bit easier too.
If there's a game or two that I really want, and which struggles getting 60+ fps in 4K by the time the 5090 arrives.. well, then i'm probably sold on it, along with the newest CPU.

mrcroket

I will likely stay with my current setup (4080 and 5800X3D) until the next gen of consoles arrives in maybe 2 years.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yeah it’s super hard to find any of them in stock.

The $900 MSI one at Best Buy seems to be in stock more than most of the others but that one does not allow firmware updates

Spend the extra $50 and get the one that does allow FW updates if possible
That’s what I’m trying to do!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah it’s super hard to find any of them in stock.

The $900 MSI one at Best Buy seems to be in stock more than most of the others but that one does not allow firmware updates

Spend the extra $50 and get the one that does allow FW updates if possible
Or do what I did and spend the extra to get the Alienware. I have a feeling MSI is delberately keeping stock low and will rebrand to some more expensive models in the future.

Flyinmunky

2700X/1080ti on a old nvidia 3D 120hz 1080p monitor. Been putting off upgrading everything for while now as just don't game as much as I use to.
Ideally id move to QD-OLED 1440p, 7800x3d, 32gb ram, 4070ti super. But cant justify the cost.
Will continue to wait until something comes out I really want to play and need to upgrade. Probably just get a PS5 Pro.

//DEVIL//

yeah but if you have leftover performance, downsampling can be a massive boost to IQ.

it always improves a ton of stuff (e.g. AA, fine detail, distant object rendering), but also produces more detail everywhere, even in 2d interfaces.
i downsampled elden ring from ~6k and first thing i noticed was much more detail in the stuff in the bottom-left of the screen:
ZDM0T2m.png
Sorry but that doesnt justify $2k card . Even if you sell your card for 1k to offset the hit.

Now If the 5090 has an AI enhancement that is going to be applied to some older and new games like the dlss is now where it will improve the image quality and can't be done on a 4090, then I am there I'll sell my 4090. But if everything is the same just more powerful ? Big pass

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m split. On one side I like to upgrade my GPU every generation.

On the flip side, theres zero need to. My 7900XT handles everything I play beautifully.

No need to upgrade my CPU as I’m already well above consoles.

Not set per say, but anxiously awaiting. My PC has held pretty strong all things considered since I last upgraded a few years ago. I hope we can see some decent prices with some relative value attached to them. Feels like Intel's/Nvidia's offerings have been lacking in that for quite a while.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I just got a 4070 Super lol.

I think this update is the end of the road for my current rig, next time I'll probably need a whole new computer.

Sorry but that doesnt justify $2k card . Even if you sell your card for 1k to offset the hit.

Now If the 5090 has an AI enhancement that is going to be applied to some older and new games like the dlss is now where it will improve the image quality and can't be done on a 4090, then I am there I'll sell my 4090. But if everything is the same just more powerful ? Big pass
nothing really justifies a $2k card. prices have gotten ridiculous.

but im not buying a card just for the latest games.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
yeah but if you have leftover performance, downsampling can be a massive boost to IQ.

it always improves a ton of stuff (e.g. AA, fine detail, distant object rendering), but also produces more detail everywhere, even in 2d interfaces.
i downsampled elden ring from ~6k and first thing i noticed was much more detail in the stuff in the bottom-left of the screen:
ZDM0T2m.png
Tiny-piece-of-paper-meme-hynx2.jpg

simpatico

Yep. GTX 1080 needs to rest. Hopefully the 5070 has 16GB vram on a 256 bit bus. Otherwise, I might try ATI again.

TheStam

Not sure. A part of me wants to go 4k and I've been considering upgrading my 4080 > 5080/5090 but keeping my 13700k. At the same time I play more than half of the time on Steam Deck since getting the OLED, so why even bother.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Meh. Every new gen is just an advertisement for price drops on the precious. Especially with the ridiculous gpu prices now. It's gonna be fun seeing 6600s hit under 150 dollars and 6800xts hit the 400 buck mark

Last edited:

Housh

I got a 12700k/4090. Was just able to snag a PG32UCDM but I don't think I will be upgrading my GPU each gen. Honestly, I might just grab a 14900k once the prices drop with Intel's new lineup releasing since I won't need to replace the mobo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. 3080 is still kinda ok. If there is something pc only worth it I might consider it but honestly I am console converted and I don’t see it changing back to pc anytime soon. Not with scummy nvidia

AzekZero

Neo Member
I have a 7900 XTX paired with a 5600X. I flirted with the upgrade to 5700X3D and 5800X3D but the timing and prices never worked out.

At this point I'm 85% sure I'm going with AM5, but I'm open to going back Intel if they manage to make a big turnaround.

Last edited:

Comandr

Pretty satisfied with my 3090 still. Unless the 5090 blows my tits off, probably just gonna wait for the 6090.

Instead of Laughing tell your prediciton, maybe?
He’s probably laughing because your prediction date was seven years ago.

Last edited:

Danknugz

I intend to pick up an RTX 5090 and Ryzen 9800X3D as soon as they come out, and have about $700 put aside right now in anticipation. I'm currently rocking an RTX 4090 and Ryzen 7700X, so I should be able to get a nice chunk of change selling those to put towards this upgrade as well.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Can't wait for the new hardware to arrive. Should be great with games like Marvel 1943, GTA VI, Wukong, Fable, and all these other "true" next-gen experience that look to be finally arriving over the next 12-24 months.
not on amd but 5090 sure

T4keD0wN

Zero interest in new cpus, even if i got one for free id probably be too lazy to remove the cooler to swap it.

Waiting for a 16gb 5000 series gpu, mainly because i want to try how good the new AV1 hw encoder will be. Hopefully itll also have lower penalty for ray tracing, but i doubt itll be even 15%

Last edited:

Fredrik

Long answer: I reinvested in stocks after the last build in march and the stock market has been going down down down lately. I don’t use my salary for hobby stuff so now I wait. The way things are going with war and tumbling tech stocks I expect it to take awhile to bounce back.

Short answer: No, can’t afford it.

Nah, I upgrade every 4 years or 2 generations now. It truly makes you appreciate the generational leaps.

I used to upgrade every 2 years and it always felt like I had the same PC. 980 Ti>1080>1080 Ti>2080 Ti felt like incremental upgrades every time. Going from a 2080 Ti to a 4090 was a gigantic leap. 4090>6090 will be similar in all likelihood.
I hope I have the strength to do the same, because it's the sensible thing Getting into pc gaming and starting with a 13900k and 4090 has fucked me up. Hope to resist the 5090.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Or do what I did and spend the extra to get the Alienware. I have a feeling MSI is delberately keeping stock low and will rebrand to some more expensive models in the future.
I tried the Alienware but did not like it not having 3.5mm audio port out, need audio to my speakers and couldn't do that with a PC, PS5 and Series X hooked up without an audio extractor

Top Bottom