• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone playing Company of Heroes 3?

kicker

Banned
Someone needs to make a thread on why coh3 and aoe4 failed to catch on with their respective communities:
RTS fatigue?
Newer games not improved enough from older ones?
Poor marketing?
Niche genre becoming even more niche over the years?
Mobas taking more of the rts playerbase than people think?

Apart from C&C and Starcraft, coh and aoe are widely considered the best franchises in the genre. It's odd to me how even their core audiences failed to pick up on them

phant0m

Someone needs to make a thread on why coh3 and aoe4 failed to catch on with their respective communities:
RTS fatigue?
Poor marketing?

Apart from C&C and Starcraft, coh and aoe are widely considered the best franchises in the genre. It's odd to me how even their core audiences failed to pick up on them
I think it’s just a genre that’s dead.

I used to be pretty big into RTS but just don’t find them interesting anymore. I got CoH 3 free from a promo, fired it up once for like 45 min and haven’t touched it since.

A.Romero

I'm pretty interested but holding from buying games full price. I'm mostly interested in the SP part so I'm not in a hurry.

This year the only game I'm considering getting day one is FFXVI if it previews well. I even cancelled my PSN Plus sub.

Nothing against the genre or this particular game, just don't have that much time to game these days and gamepass gives me more than enough to play.

Liljagare

Simple, neither game has anything new or revolutionary. Coh 2, and AoE 2 are still better products, with more content.

If you want to release a remake of a classic, you better bake in tons of new stuff from the get go.

kicker

Banned
I think it’s just a genre that’s dead.

I used to be pretty big into RTS but just don’t find them interesting anymore. I got CoH 3 free from a promo, fired it up once for like 45 min and haven’t touched it since.
they regress in a lot of ways tbh, they lose that spark. The talent is just not there like it used to be
If you want to release a remake of a classic, you better bake in tons of new stuff from the get go.
Yeah, that's what's worrying though, If you were going to bet on certain devs and games to actively have a chance at making the most modernized, big budget rts games possible, it would be relic funded by microsoft to make AoE and CoH games. And yet, here we are.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
/thread

If anyone is playing please put ur nickname on Steam because I don't know anyone who plays lmao
I played it but don't at the moment (because it's campaign is shit, and it's multiplayer has streamlined itself to be boring as fuck)
RTS fatigue?
Poor marketing?

Personally I don't think it's niche genre, or Mobas taking over or poor marketing...

The games are just... basic and feel more stream lined.

Like older games tended to launch into a "fuck around and find out" sort of thing. For me I will give an example... I love Skirmish, adore the damn thing, know what I love more than Skirmish? Company of Heroes online multiplayer with teams against cheating AI and creating choke points and slugging it out against this zerg swarm of enemies, while I tech up so I can use all the big super units and have actual fun.

Guess what I can do in CoH3? I can quickmatch (because no one hosts custom games) but I can't select AI difficulty (the only option is retard level easy) and I can't select game mode meaning that the core COH2 mode of control point is the ONLY option. Which I will be lucky to last 5 minutes and get a single second tier vehicle out before we steam roll and win.

Essentially for vs AI on CoH 3 NO FUN ALLOWED! games are over long before that would start to happen. The PvP ain't bad and I think that I tend to get In more slugging matches with late game units there, largely because we are fighting for control over the points more regularly so the timer takes longer. But that's not what I play most of the time, and since both campaigns effectively suck balls with super easy AI, and a campaign narrative for Africa intended to piss the player off its a dud right now.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

RTS fatigue?
Poor marketing?

I've seen a lot of marketing for COH3 and I used to be obsessed with RTS games. But I just got tired of being stressed and micro analyzing everything I did in RTS games.

I played the demo or early access for COH3. I thought it was cool but after so long I was just done and wanted to play another game.

I think the spark is gone...least for me.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
wait, what?

so the game is basically unfinished in terms of coh-specific features. That might explain why so many people seem to be holding off for a while

You can in "custom game" but unlike in 2 you can't for quickmatch, I ASSUME it was to try and not divide the queue, but it has the oposite effect of just having me not play the game at all and therefore not being in any queue.

It also has no "ranked" mode (again to not divide the queue) and does not have ranks or insignia ingame so you know how experienced your oponant is...

It's a literal dice roll every match.

Last edited:

rafaelroob

Neo Member
wait, what?

so the game is basically unfinished in terms of coh-specific features. That might explain why so many people seem to be holding off for a while monkey mart
You CAN do this in "custom game," but unlike in 2, you CANNOT do this for quickmatch. I assume this was done so as not to divide the queue, but the result is that I no longer participate in any queue at all.

Furthermore, there is no "ranked" option (yet another measure to avoid splitting the line) and no in-game levels or badges to indicate your opponent's level of experience.

Every game is a whole roll of the dice.

I really enjoyed the first one, but I think I'm done with WW2. If they managed to make a modern warfare style RTS I'd be interested ... or even more of a tactical style one like Dawn of War before they butchered it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
RTS fatigue?
Poor marketing?

AOE4 is a solid game but doesn't offer anything new.

Haven't played CoH3 but I never was a fan of this series. WWII shooters? Cool. WWII RTS? Meh. I'd rather they take another stab at Dawn of War.

Besides that RTS games became a bit of a niche. It's a catch-22 because if you're gonna keep making games that remain purist then sooner or later the genre will become stale. But if you start innovating then you get mobas and weird hybrids and then it essentially stops being an RTS and becomes something else. It s difficult to innovate without breaking the core tenets.

BerningRiver

Neo Member
I’m playing the Africa campaign at the moment. Tbh it is struggling to hold my attention. All the stages look pretty much the same - and graphics do seem to be a slight step down from COH2

Like some above, I would really like a new World In Conflict. WW2 is no longer holding my attention - even outside of RTS ( I hated the BFV / One / COD WW2 campaigns)

Last edited:
I’m playing the Africa campaign at the moment. Tbh it is struggling to hold my attention. All the stages look pretty much the same - and graphics do seem to be a slight step down from COH2

Like some above, I would really like a new World In Conflict. WW2 is no longer holding my attention - even outside of RTS ( I hated the BFV / One / COD WW2 campaigns)
Can I add you?

Top Bottom