• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple drops to fifth spot as local smart phone sale surges in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

BEIJING, July 7 (Xinhua) -- U.S. smart phone magnate Apple suffered a waterloo in China's mobile market in Q1 as the top-four handset makers - Huawei, Vivo, Oppo and Xiaomi - secured a 53-percent combined market share, statistics released by Counterpoint Research shows.

In a report quoted by Bloomberg Wednesday, the Hong Kong-based market researcher said iPhone shipments in May dropped by 1.2 percent year on year in China's mainland, while its sales in Greater China fell 26 percent in Q1 compared to a year earlier.

Meanwhile, competition between China's four largest smart phone makers is toughening up, as they scramble for a bigger share of the world's largest smart phone market.

Statistics from research firm Strategy Analytics shows that Huawei shipped 16.6 million smart phones in Q1, taking the lion's share of China's smart phone market.

OPPO ranked the second in Q1 with shipments hitting 13.2 million. Xiaomi came in third place with 12.8 million while Vivo shipped 12.5 million units. Apple's shipments were 11.5 million.

Source: http://english.cri.cn/12394/2016/07/07/4202s933357.htm

To be fair, the above mentioned phone makers released a shitton of phones in the first quarter while apple only had the SE I think. Still, Chinese don't go Apple only anymore.

mcz117chief

Huawei are great, my mom has one and I was thinking about getting a smartphone in the coming years and Huawei seems like a good product.

random25

Southeast Asia has also been penetrated by Huawei and Oppo smartphones as of late, with Xiaomi starting to gain attention too. Not surprising considering their price vs performance offerings over Apple and Samsung high-ends, not to mention their pretty cheap low-ends. Huawei specifically has captured a chunk of the the high-end market with Mate 8, P8/P9, and to a lesser degree Nexus 6P devices.

EvetS

OPPO and Vivo are basically the same company under BBK Electronics (and OnePlus). So they've got to be really happy about this.

Care to make s short review? Battery? UI? BW cam?
I'll try.

I previously used a Sony Xperia Z1 for over two years. It was a great phone, but it was in need of replacement as the waterproof ports had failed and were loose.

I was waiting for the new Sony phone, but then discovered that it had a mid range CPU, but premium phone price tag. What were you thinking Sony?

So whilst I was in the phone shop the P9 just leap out at me. It looked super smart, slim and slightly smaller than the Z1, but with a larger screen area. The IPS screen had this wonderful look to it, that my old Sony lacked.

So I went away and did some research. Seemed it was a great phone. Only possible caveats were the Huawei Android UI overlay and possible slow phone updates.

Whilst it's too early to tell if updates are going to be a problem. I was quite surprised that I had no issue with the Huawei UI. Obviously there's more to it than plain old Android, but it has never felt restrictive and I actually use and enjoy quite a lot of the additions. The Health app and smart app power control in particular.

My old Z1 had a very good camera of course, but I'm finding the dual cameras as good in this one. I use the monochrome picture mode most of the time, because why not - it just looks cooler. There's a ton of picture type options and a full on manual mode, all available with just a swipe of the screen. The camera does also seem to activate way faster than my old phone. I'm not a massive camera expert though so I think the best I can say is that this should easily be very proficient for nearly everyone's phone camera use.

As for the battery, it seems to be business as usual. Day and a half on a full charge with average use? I've never had it run out of charge yet before one days end with even fairly heavy use. With the very fine granular control over app power use the UI provides you could get quite creative with saving power if you so wished.

I hope this helps. I'm very pleased with it and I was slightly worried about moving away from Sony because of the connections with all my other Sony products. Turns out that I didn't need to as all the apps (Side view TV, PlayStation app, Bluetooth connection to my Sony soundboard) all work fine. No remote play of course, but it's not good on a smart phone anyway.

catmincer

I love Huawei phones. I'm using a mate 8 and I really can't fault it. It's better in every single way versus my z3+. The battery life is amazing, the camera is better and the phone never gets hot at all.

I did install Nova on it though. I am too used to an app tray.

KonradLaw

The chinese companies have been completely insane for the last two years. Constant stream of very cheap and yet great phones, with quality of materials exploding as well.

Busty

Banned
If the Chinese flooded the West with high end Android phones (as analysts promised years ago) I'd happily pick one up if they were cheaper than everybody else.

lenos16

If the Chinese flooded the West with high end Android phones (as analysts promised years ago) I'd happily pick one up if they were cheaper than everybody else.

Huh, I have seen a lot of Huawei phones here in Europe, they are generally cheaper than the latest Samsung phones while having similar or even better specs. Friend of mine bought a P9 Lite for the dual sim and he couldn't be happier with it. I've also seen a few ads featuring Huawei phones. Xiaomi and the other ones are usually not as present but you can get them on Amazon regardless.

Usobuko

Banned
I had seen OPPO advertisement on some of the more popular variety shows in China.

However, there is an appeal as a Western/International/Premium brand that is Apple in the long term. Eventually, who knows we might see the competition be just 1 Chinese juggernaut against Apple in China.

KonradLaw

I had seen OPPO advertisement on some of the more popular variety shows in China.

However, there is an appeal as a Western/International/Premium brand that is Apple in the long term. Eventually, who knows we might see the competition be just 1 Chinese juggernaut against Apple in China.
I don't think Apple will ever be able to be no.2 anymore, no matter how the market shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom