• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple sued for patent infringement about the new iPad with LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple's new iPad with LTE is accused of Infringing 4G Patents

ADAPTIX Inc., of Dallas Texas is an award-winning technology company long recognized in the industry as one of the first developers of cutting edge OFDMA-based mobile wireless systems. The company claims to have conceived, built, and patented critical equipment and network features that form the foundation of today's advanced 4G broadband wireless technology and systems. Late Friday, the company launched a patent infringement lawsuit against Apple over their new iPad with LTE and Retina Display. On a second front, Apple has been sued by NovelPoint Security over Intel based Macs allegedly using their technology to thwart viruses.

The Alleged Patent Infringements In-Part

6a0120a5580826970c016302accaca970d-800wi

The formal complaint reads as follows: "On information and belief, Apple is directly and/or indirectly infringing at least one claim of the '212 Patent in this judicial district and elsewhere in Texas and the United States by, among other things, making, using, offering for sale, selling and/or importing computerized devices including without limitation Retina display iPads sold to AT&T which, at a minimum, directly infringe the '212 Patent.

In Count Two, ADAPTIX claims infringement of US Patent 6,947,748. The complaint is identical to the one presented in Count One above.

In ADAPTIX Inc.'s Count One they allege Infringement of US Patent 7,454,212.

6a0120a5580826970c016302accb04970d-800wi

The case was filed on March 9, 2012 in the United States Texas Eastern District Court, Tyler Office. The presiding Judge in this case is noted as being Judge Leonard Davis.

It should be noted that ADAPTIX, Inc. was acquired by Acacia Research Corporation in January 2012. According Wikipedia, Acacia Research Corporation has adopted the business model known as patent trolling.

NovelPoint Security Sues Apple

On another front, Apple is being sued by NovelPoint Security LLC. The lawsuit involves patents that include a computer security system covered by one or more claims of patents 5,434,562 and 6,212,635. The computer systems noted in the complaint are Intel based Macs starting in 2006.

6a0120a5580826970c0168e8a29804970c-800wi

Is this another patent troll case? It appears so. The court document reads: "Plaintiff is the owner by assignment of the '562 Patent with sole rights to enforce the '562 Patent and sue infringers." I don't know how you would read that otherwise.
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...is-accused-of-infringing-4g-patents.html#more

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Really, all this trouble to avoid 3G patent infringement, and now there is a patent troll out there trying to fuck them with 4G? So gross - hopefully all this recent added attention on these patent trolls/patent wars will eventually lead to some... legislation or something, that curbs this sort of shit.

Are they? That's not what I got from the article.

Did you not read the article before you cut and pasted it?

Last line RE: in the first lawsuit:

It should be noted that ADAPTIX, Inc. was acquired by Acacia Research Corporation in January 2012. According Wikipedia, Acacia Research Corporation has adopted the business model known as patent trolling.

Last paragraph in the second lawsuit info:

Is this another patent troll case? It appears so. The court document reads: "Plaintiff is the owner by assignment of the '562 Patent with sole rights to enforce the '562 Patent and sue infringers." I don't know how you would read that otherwise.

railGUN

Banned
Do other companies sue and get sued for patents and patent trolling besides Apple? I rarely, if ever, see these kinds of threads unless they involve Apple.

Do other companies sue and get sued for patents and patent trolling besides Apple? I rarely, if ever, see these kinds of threads unless they involve Apple.
All the time. It's just that people bother to post headlines about it when it happens to Apple because, hey, Apple gets pageviews and clickthroughs. It's sort of like how a shitload of OEMs use Foxconn, but the articles get a lot more attention if you make them all about Apple.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Plenty of companies sue each other, but Computer has an agreement where if he doesn't post an Apple controversy thread every single week, he gets banned. So far we're 10 weeks into 2012 and he's posted 11 Apple-related threads of which 10 of them have been lawsuits, so he's keeping up the bargain so far.

Kuga

I have no sympathy for them, given Apple's aggressive history.

That said, this whole patent system is beyond broken. It really needs drastic restructuring.

upandaway

I remember a lot of Nintendo lawsuits early in the Wii and DS lives

So basically, whenever a company is popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom