• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade memories from the 80s and 90s

thefool

So many memories
My favorite arcade games was Tumblepop, Snow Bros, Final Fight and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I still play them recurrently, its like im time-traveling to better times :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Some of the best times of my childhood. I loved Daytona USA so much that I purchased an arcade machine to keep in my house haha
Great documentary of Australian Arcades for anyone interested.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Afterburner cabinet that was sit in and moved was next level. I thought it was an amazing 1 minute then I died
The afterburner cabinet was ok but the R360 was the real deal.

Sega_R-360_machine.png

Shopping malls are fine (at least where I live). It comes down to type of store. The big chains like WM and Best Buy are still around fine. So are the endless clothing and shoe stores (people like to try it on).

But the one type of store that seems to be going down the tubes the past 10 years are the ones that resemble Bed Bath Beyond and Home Outfitters kinds of stores (housewares). I guess people just prefer buying this stuff online. Or perhaps the trend is people arent so trendy anymore and dont care about decorating their homes. Or both.

No, because the bigger chains or the luxury stores of that type are doing well even with online having half their stock for slightly cheaper, so it seems to be more that those companies failed to adapt, or were not able to draw in the customers. Many people don't even know what BBBY had other than assuming beds from its name. But people are running to Boconcept, RH, and Mitchell Gold, so there's definitely something those stores were lacking.

Either way, arcades were never in those type of stores. There used to be some in Sears back in the day which I guess would be the closest you can relate to the others.

DOW

Some of my fondest memories as a kid are Friday nights my friend’s dad would take us to Mazzio’s pizza. They had The Simpson’s, X-Men, and Street Fighter 2.

Our local mall had a nice arcade. There was something magical about discovering a new game like NBA Jam or Mortal Kombat. I mean really any game. Hard to replicate that these days.

Naked Lunch

I remember me and my buddy getting all the way from Stage 1 to Shredder in TMNT at Chucky Cheese - and some kid hopped in at the last second on Shredder. Once we won - that kid was dancing around acting like he did all the work. We nearly beat that kid down on the spot.

I remember when Mortal Kombat II shadow dropped at our arcade one friday evening. There was this huge crowd at the arcades and I pushed thru the group to see the glouris MKII logo. Absolutely noone knew this game was coming out or even being worked on.
Weeks later people were selling handmade move lists in that arcade for MKII and the rumors started about background fatalities like the tree stage eating people.

Arcade were awesome. Always cool to see people out there trying to keep those scenes alive. Its alot of work and upkeep.

spookyfish

Round1 is the answer to our modern day arcade woes.

Growing up the arcade was my every Friday night hangout with friends. Games, pool, jut box, miniskirts and cigarette smoke like fog along with a beer or two in the parking lot that had been bought by friends older siblings. Gen X baby!
Holy crap. There’s one near me in Georgia. I’m gonna check this out.

giphy.gif
Hearing Obi Wan Kenobi’s voice at the end of the Star Wars game at our local Chuck E Cheese blew my little mind.
“Remember…The Force will be with you, Always!”

Mobilemofo

I competed at three specific games in balckpool arcades in the 90s..Ridge Racer (full cabinet with movement and gear stick), street fighter 2 hyper fighting, and mortal Kombat 2. Winner stays on. Friday, Saturday, Sunday's at.mr B's were mint. Crowds use to form around these machines. I had my shit down. 😄

I remember a random adult who use to compete, and lose.. he would punch me when he saw me periodically around Blackpool. 😄 So jealous...being beaten by a kid..

Last edited:
Top Bottom