• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are live action transforming heroes now viable in Western television?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm talking something for the "super hero" audience, not necessarily the "buy our toys" audience.

Since superheroes are big in places like netflix and cable, what with shows from Marvel and DC, it makes me wonder if original content or adapted content from Japan would work. I honestly blame Saban's monopolization of the aspect, but I thought they could make the show work like how Japan does the narrative (with the idea on cultural differences, what kids are for Japan might not appeal to kids elsewhere but could appeal to a different audience).

Like, they could take something like Kamen Rider Ryuki's plot about Battle Royale except this time put some effort in localizing it, or hell, even a police drama-action like Kamen Rider Drive or Agito. Or they don't even have to go there - they could adapt the "exotic, mystical" nature of Garo and maybe censor out the blood, gore and tits if needed.

Corpekata

Banned
I think they're still too associated with camp in the west. Maybe that gawdy looking Power Rangers move changes that since the producers have said they are attempting to go "edgier" or something along those lines. So no, not right now at least, beyond stuff aimed at kids.

Boss Doggie

wouldn't it still be seen as campy, just on the edgy side?

why cut it off at the knees? go all out, if it's going to happen

I mean gore is gonna be fine but the partial nudity might amp the ratings

I enjoyed the thread title but didn't understand the opening post.

basically a superhero show for the sake of telling a story with the selling of toys being just a secondary thing, rather than the other way around

The biggest thing one would have to overcome is the 'all transforming heroes are power rangers' mindset that dominates much of western understanding of the genre. That is to say, its not impossible, but it would be a challenge, as many people might see it as aping that while not realising there's a whole genre involved. Ben 10 succeeded in this regard in animation by having its transformation very much stand apart, being biological and resulting in all sorts of differing shapes and sizes. One could perhaps strengthen this by using an existing property, so if anyone were to claim the idea were taken from Power Rangers and its ilk, one could point to the source material as a counter argument.

I'm saying give me a new Shazam(/Captain Marvel) series.

Delio

I feel like it still wouldnt be that welcomed. Which is a shame cause yeah Iron Man but it helps that he is already an icon in nerddom all on his own. I'd honestly like to see people try again with more transforming heroes tho and just see if it works.

Jinkies

I think that is the clear goal of the upcoming Power Rangers movie.

Not very high expectations for it, however. It looks as interesting as Transformers or TMNT. Which is to say, not at all interesting.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Once Superheros finally start to peter out they will start doing anime adaptations. They already are starting at this point with stuff like the Death Note movie. Just wait till we get another DBZ movie starring the Rock as Goku.

Pluto

I think they're still too associated with camp in the west.
They're associated with camp in Japan too, Sentai, Kamen Rider etc, are all shows made for five year olds and stuff like Garo is made for adult nerds, those are not shows the mainstream audience thinks of as quality entertainment.

HStallion

Something will come after super heroes, but I doubt it'll be anime.

Its already coming. Besides the Death Note movie at Netflix with some big name talent behind it we've also got ScarJo in a big screen adaptation of Ghost in the Shell.

WarRock

Art direction goes a long way to avoid the "camp" feeling, but who is going to invest resources into it? The closest we got indeed was Into the Badlands, yet its narrative is more standard american TV show than japanese masked/transforming super-hero stuff.

Daredevil? Jessica Jones? any Netlfix Marvel stuff?
Marvel Netflix is almost the polar opposite of transforming heroes and the japanese narrative Doggie is mentioning.

Daredevil or Jessica Jones aren't about a character who can transform into a superform or wear a tech/magic suit and blow monsters in the name of justice or whatever. Even the closest (aside of Garo, maybe, that I never watched) show to them, Amazons, has a clearly different focus in both action and narrative.

Doggie mentions Agito, that is all about uncovering a supernatural mystery and murders happening in a town, and yet Agito is more akin to something like a mix between a mystery novel and 70s kung fu movies than either Daredevil, Power Rangers or Smallvile.

Corpekata

Banned
Its already coming. Besides the Death Note movie at Netflix with some big name talent behind it we've also got ScarJo in a big screen adaptation of Ghost in the Shell.

People have been saying this sort of stuff about the Video Game Movie too, especially this year with Ratchet, Warcraft, and Asscreed. Doesn't seem to go according to plan.

I imagine they might do okay, but not replacement trend worthy.

HStallion

People have been saying this sort of stuff about the Video Game Movie too, especially this year with Ratchet, Warcraft, and Asscreed. Doesn't seem to go according to plan.

I imagine they might do okay, but not replacement trend worthy.

I didn't say anything would be replaced but that we are starting to get anime adaptations that seem to at least trying to make decent/entertaining movies. Might not work out that way but I can see far more chance for anime to get successful live action Western adaptations because well let's be honest, the West has been ripping off anime for years now. Ask the Wachowski Siblings and Affronsky.

Sojgat

Garo could work rather easily. The basic premise would translate well, as would the Makai Armor and Horror designs.

And it's flexible. It doesn't even need to be set in modern times. Western audiences would be more familiar with the anime anyway.

HStallion

Guyver reboot! Do it!

32275_original.JPG

They're associated with camp in Japan too, Sentai, Kamen Rider etc, are all shows made for five year olds and stuff like Garo is made for adult nerds, those are not shows the mainstream audience thinks of as quality entertainment.
So wait. In Japan it's for kids, but in America it needs to be mature?

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, Amazons is coming overseas, but it makes you wonder if it will get enough foreign audience.

Daredevil? Jessica Jones? any Netlfix Marvel stuff?

not really comparable, but WarRock already gave a better explanation

You think they aren't driven by toy sales?

of course they are, but mainly make the narrative a bit more focus though, or at least make the shilling less overt

look at at early heisei Rider for instance, they toy shilling is a bit less visible and you get really somber stories that are for the most part am example of its time

So wait. In Japan it's for kids, but in America it needs to be mature?
it's not so much as that, but something that is for kids in Japan usually won't be applicable for kids in the US

I mean, even a subpar show like Kamen Rider Ghost has the protagonist dying at the very first episode.

BTA

A Western Garo-like show would be pretty interesting to me (says the guy with a Garo avatar), though Garo already approaches too much edge sometimes and I'd worry that a US show would go even further.

Would it be viable, though? Maybe as a streaming series like Amazons (though I haven't seen that yet), though despite the avatar, I'm generally into toku for the goofier stuff which... probably wouldn't be what they'd go for. Though having not seen Agito yet, I was very very into Kuuga, and a similar horror + police + hero feel might work well.

Marvel Netflix is almost the polar opposite of transforming heroes and the japanese narrative Doggie is mentioning.

Daredevil or Jessica Jones aren't about a character who can transform into a superform or wear a tech/magic suit and blow monsters in the name of justice or whatever. Even the closest (aside of Garo, maybe, that I never watched) show to them, Amazons, has a clearly different focus in both action and narrative.

Doggie mentions Agito, that is all about uncovering a supernatural mystery and murders happening in a town, and yet Agito is more akin to something like a mix between a mystery novel and 70s kung fu movies than either Daredevil, Power Rangers or Smallvile.

I must admit I don't really get this distinction. What's the difference between Power Rangers transforming into their costume to fight monsters in the name of justice and Daredevil changing into his costume to fight criminals for justice? Is it simply the "transforming" and "monsters" part?

WarRock

In the "narrative focus". The tone is wildly different - Mall Rats or Romeo and Juliet are both love stories, but hardly the same, don't you agree?

Boss Doggie

I must admit I don't really get this distinction. What's the difference between Power Rangers transforming into their costume to fight monsters in the name of justice and Daredevil changing into his costume to fight criminals for justice? Is it simply the "transforming" and "monsters" part?

well, here's my take on henshin hero and what makes them different from standard live action superhero shoes
- they pose a lot but without somehow ruining the flow
- they have specific transformation sequences, even if nowadays it's thoroughly ignored
- they focus on engagement action, as in fighting mooks, villains, etc. rather than being tactical or such
- they have toyetic armaments, like compare Daredevil's twin sticks to Hibiki's twin sticks, the ongekibou
- they like to name their attacks and even transformation sequences
- and to add to that, they have specific attacks (i.e. this is a finisher attack, this is a basic attack, etc.)

Like, if Iron Man was instead made in Japan as Metal Hero Iron Man, he would have a transformation sequence, he would fight mooks, and he would have weapons. Look at how the characters are adapted into Vs. Capcom series - you don't normally hear Tony go PROTOOON CANNOOON and summon a cannon out of thin air!

With that said, they can share narratives that is similar to what Westerners are used to. Like I mentioned earlier, Kuuga and Agito's stories could easily be viewed by Westerners as their stories are akin to police mystery stories with paranormal aspects.

Jeffrey

You don't see people call out moves in western media. Or do they? Idk. Do wwe wrestlers call out their finishers?

well, here's my take on henshin hero and what makes them different from standard live action superhero shoes
- they have specific transformation sequences, even if nowadays it's thoroughly ignored
- they focus on engagement action, as in fighting mooks, villains, etc. rather than being tactical or such
- they have toyetic armaments, like compare Daredevil's twin sticks to Hibiki's twin sticks, the ongekibou
- and to add to that, they have specific attacks (i.e. this is a finisher attack, this is a basic attack, etc.)

Like, if Iron Man was instead made in Japan as Metal Hero Iron Man, he would have a transformation sequence, he would fight mooks, and he would have weapons. Look at how the characters are adapted into Vs. Capcom series - you don't normally hear Tony go PROTOOON CANNOOON and summon a cannon out of thin air!

With that said, they can share narratives that is similar to what Westerners are used to. Like I mentioned earlier, Kuuga and Agito's stories could easily be viewed by Westerners as their stories are akin to police mystery stories with paranormal aspects.

I see. So it's all about that inherent showmanship and campiness. So if I'm understanding this correctly, what you want is a show that still retains these features, but tries to bring up more serious stories, at least at the level of the Marvel movies?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Sure, posing and shouting attacks might seem very silly but superhero stories are inherently silly to begin with. The thing about these modern superhero movies, they tend to contextualize the silly things to make them feel less silly. And it doesn't take much, too. Like, Captain America and Thor's costumes are ridiculous, but one was originally created as a jingoistic symbol of yore and the other is from a highly advanced alien culture, then suddenly they're acceptable.

So maybe these transforming heroes are maybe technological in nature, yar? And they have this one special, last resort weaponry? And maybe to unlock said weaponry they must yell its name as some sort of limiter unlock or something? I don't know. It could work.

I see. So it's all about that inherent showmanship and campiness. So if I'm understanding this correctly, what you want is a show that still retains these features, but tries to bring up more serious stories, at least at the level of the Marvel movies?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Sure, posing and shouting attacks might seem very silly but superhero stories are inherently silly to begin with. The thing about these modern superhero movies, they tend to contextualize the silly things to make them feel less silly. And it doesn't take much, too. Like, Captain America and Thor's costumes are ridiculous, but one was originally created as a jingoistic symbol of yore and the other is from a highly advanced alien culture, then suddenly they're acceptable.

So maybe these transforming heroes are maybe technological in nature, yar? And they have this one special, last resort weaponry? And maybe to unlock said weaponry they must yell its name as some sort of limiter unlock or something? I don't know. It could work.
Iron man 3 basically had transformation sequence ala Saint Seiya with armor pieces flying and attaching itself to Tony Stark.

Boss Doggie

Yeah basically the inherent showmanship and flashiness but at the same time has the plot of your Western hero. Narratives seem to work well regardless of whether the show has like that.

Hell, some early 2000's Kamen Rider shows are pretty much soap operas!

I don't really understand OP, but it reads like he wants live action anime adaptions in the West, so the answer to the title is hopefully not.

Bluth54

I don't really understand OP, but it reads like he wants live action anime adaptions in the West, so the answer to the title is hopefully not.

More like a western made Power Rangers/Super Sentai like show.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing someone try something like that but I just don't know how seriously people would take it since most people only know about Power Rangers.

HBO live action garo adaptation would be boss. But two things would have to stay constant, A) jam pro would have to do the opening and B) kageyama would still voice zaruba. Otherwise let HBO go ham, and keep the fight coreography up and it would be a winner.

I mean there is already Iron Man and The Hulk, who fulfill the "Normal guy who transforms to beat down enemies" role. Plus you can argue that's the domain of any super hero who uses a secret identity. How many times have we seen Clark Kent/Bruce Wayne/Peter Parker unable to do anything when caught out in everyday life until they can duck into an alley or phone booth and adopt their hero persona?

Unless you are specifically looking for the Japanese style Super Sentai/Magical Girl "Do a pose and say the magic words" stuff, in which case it'll probably still be a while thanks to Power Rangers and Sailor Moon pretty firmly pushing the concept into camp for most Westerners.

Also, I totally read the title as "Live Action Transformers movies" and got really confused for a minute.

Camjo-Z

All of this stuff is extremely corny and campy to Westerners, so no, you will not be seeing it on television in any major capacity any time soon.

HStallion

All of this stuff is extremely corny and campy to Westerners, so no, you will not be seeing it on television in any major capacity any time soon.

I don't know, they certainly like striking poses in the Marvel movies even if they don't do it for an actual transformation.

Yeah, don't see that coming over here in America unless it was for parody reasons. Wasn't Buffy inspired a bit by Sailor Moon? Joss Whedon said something like that.

Boss Doggie

I mean, from WarRock's example

would Americans find this campy?

you got time stand still punch each rain drop fight, and the context is really kinda dark
Kabuto, the hero, is fighting the "real" appearance of Kagami's brother, or rather the monster pretending to be Kagami's brother. Basically the monsters of this series kill people, steal their memories, and pretend as them, so the context is that the hero character Kabuto asks Kagami's permission to kill the monster who is pretending to be his brother.

Top Bottom