• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Says Sony Doesn’t Force Anything in Helldivers 2 Development; Wants to Make Best Live Service Title Gamers Have Ever Played

GLNmfOhXMAAO09c

While more and more gamers are going the live service route, it hasn’t always been met with success, as not only do you need to have a proper player base to make content for, but you also need to make sure that these same players stay interested and engaged. It seems Arrowhead Game Studios has found the magic formula with Helldivers 2, as even after two months since release, the multiplayer shooter is still being played by hundreds of thousands of players daily.

It seems Arrowhead’s goals are loftier than keeping their players engaged, as Johan Pilestedt, the CEO of the studio, states that they are aiming Helldivers 2 to be the best live service title that gamers have played. This statement was posted on the game’s subreddit, where Pilestedt also shared that the studio needs to not just add to the game, but also to fix what’s broken in order to keep the player base interested.
We want to deliver the best in the industry and we are calibrating our efforts of fixing vs new stuff. It’s easy to say “just fix, don’t add”, but the reality of the competitiveness in this industry is that we have to do both to stay relevant.

We are figuring it out, the demands and expectations on the studio is high, all eyes are on us, and we have a sole purpose – to make this the best live game you’ve ever played. We just need to find our stride and balance.

It’s a hot topic at the studio, and I’m sorry for the sloppy mistakes we’ve made as of recent
.” – Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead
In another comment, Pilestedt mentioned that the gaming industry is a “complicated beast,” and added that they need to make sure the player base is entertained while they’re “fixing stuff.” The studio boss also wants to squash any ideas that Sony is forcing them to do anything, and how the publisher trusts the studio.

“Also, my intention was just to say that the games industry is a complicated beast. We need to stay relevant and keep everyone entertained while fixing stuff.

The expectations from our friends at PlayStation are pretty simple: “make great game for players. We trust you”

Nobody is forcing us. But at the same time, the pressure is real 🤔 😅 it’s very abstract
.”- Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead

It's cool to see a live service game that actually has a bunch of content around its launch. Props to Sony for not only giving Arrowhead the time to develop but also allowing them to slowly roll out their content in an organic manner.

I feel like most publishers would force studios to release the majority of their content before launch so it could review better. Arrowhead said nothing about any kind of road map before release either

Last edited:

N30RYU

It's cool to see a live service game that actually has a bunch of content around its launch. Props to Sony for not only giving Arrowhead the time to develop but also allowing them to slowly roll out their content in an organic manner.

I feel like most publishers would force studios to release the majority of their content before launch, so it could review better. Arrowhead said nothing about any kind of road map before release either
At some point I totally see some atomatons merging with terminids

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They just need to implement an asymmetrical PvP mode to take it to the next level. Being invaded by 1 enemy commander every so often would help keep things fresh.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They have acknowledged that there never will be PvP. They don't want the toxicity tat comes with it

I don't believe in never. They said it at that particular time for a multitude of reasons. Reasons change. A 4 v 1 mode, for example, wouldn't be toxic considering the 1 wouldn't be able to talk **** to the 4. Easy solution.

The beauty of Live Service is that the devs can steer it over time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The game doesn't need it. It wouldn't even make sense, because it's not democratic.

No games need anything. It's the wrong way to look at it.

The player base continues to fall. We'll see what it looks like a year or two from now. As Arrowhead improves the engine and we get further and further away from that quote, it's very possible it becomes a goal that helps with player retention. This is the nature of Live Service. Change.

Hard to be the best Live Service game of all time if you're not serving PvP players as well.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No thanks. Introducing PvP would hurt this game's momentum imo.
The ideal way to do it would be after the game "bottoms out". Once it starts repeatedly earning a low amount of revenue month after month. That way you don't risk momentum.

Plus, they would likely need to iron out that wonky engine and implement PvP in a way that's additive rather than controversial. For example, if you bump into an "enemy commander" in 10% of your games and they play the game from a top down, strategic point of view, it would be more palatable for the coop players.

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons why the game is a massive hit: No external interference from Sony or Bungie dickheads. As long as they stay true to their vision, they'll be fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No games need anything. It's the wrong way to look at it.

The player base continues to fall. We'll see what it looks like a year or two from now. As Arrowhead improves the engine and we get further and further away from that quote, it's very possible it becomes a goal that helps with player retention. This is the nature of Live Service. Change.

Hard to be the best Live Service game of all time if you're not serving PvP players as well.
Can you damage some other game over there with these bright ideas please :p?

I don't believe in never. They said it at that particular time for a multitude of reasons. Reasons change. A 4 v 1 mode, for example, wouldn't be toxic considering the 1 wouldn't be able to talk **** to the 4. Easy solution.

The beauty of Live Service is that the devs can steer it over time.
How does what you believe personally have anything at all do with the fact that arrowhead has said there never will be pvp?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How does what you believe personally have anything at all do with the fact that arrowhead has said there never will be pvp?
I believe in a universal law that people (try to) act in their best interest at the time of their decisions.

Live Service is a cement that never hardens by it's very nature.

I also admire that they aren’t planning any cross overs like the big GasS games have done like Fortnite, PubG, CoD, etc.
To be fair, neither were those games 2 months after their launch. Give it time. No way does Sony and Arrowhead leave all that money on the table, whether it's cross overs or increasing microtransactions, no way will they stay the course, imo. Just enjoy it while it lasts

Last edited:

Pallas

To be fair, neither were those games 2 months after their launch. Give it time. No way does Sony and Arrowhead leave all that money on the table, whether it's cross overs or increasing microtransactions, no way will they stay the course, imo. Just enjoy it while it lasts
True. I’m going by what Arrowhead stated about “Not trying to be Fortnite”

Top Bottom