• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

galvatron

So, I currently have a game going that started against a friend and turned into single-player after I found a way to have an infinite turn with my deck. I'm currently at 27 constructs, with what I would estimate to be over 1100 total points. The only bug that I noticed is that I'm not always allowed to guess properly when I play Great Omen Raven since some of my cards are not allowed as guesses. Some disallowed choices are cards acquired that turn, but others aren't...

Key requirements:

A deck that can produce 5 runes per turn, guaranteed (preferably one that can get completely into play)

A way to get all constructs to count as Mechana constructs: Hedron Link Device or Dimension diver

Tablet of Time's dawn in your deck or in the void

Reclaimax, to grab a Mechana construct from the void

(optional, but really helpful) Rocket Courier to put your Mechana constructs directly into play

(optional) Black Hole to help you throw away any mistaken pickup you make that might make your deck stop repeating or help make your deck start repeating

Directions:

Put Tablet of Time's dawn into play/throw it into the void

Kill monsters

Pick up cards that draw other cards

Play deck while grabbing Tablet of Time's dawn with Reclaimax since it will count as a Mechana construct if you're playing your cards right.

Get Reclaimax back into play

Repeat until you've killed Xeron enough to steal every card from your opponent's hand guaranteeing that they can't get in on the action once you end your turn

kennah

So, I currently have a game going that started against a friend and turned into single-player after I found a way to have an infinite turn with my deck. I'm currently at 27 constructs, with what I would estimate to be over 1100 total points. The only bug that I noticed is that I'm not always allowed to guess properly when I play Great Omen Raven since some of my cards are not allowed as guesses. Some disallowed choices are cards acquired that turn, but others aren't...

Key requirements:

A deck that can produce 5 runes per turn, guaranteed (preferably one that can get completely into play)

A way to get all constructs to count as Mechana constructs: Hedron Link Device or Dimension diver

(optional, but really helpful) Rocket Courier to put your Mechana constructs directly into play

(optional) Black Hole to help you throw away any mistaken pickup you make that might make your deck stop repeating or help make your deck start repeating

Directions:

Kill monsters

Play deck while grabbing Tablet of Time's dawn with Reclaimax since it will count as a Mechana construct if you're playing your cards right.

Repeat until you've killed Xeron enough to steal every card from your opponent's hand guaranteeing that they can't get in on the action once you end your turn

Wow.... I'm glad we haven't played in a while :p

I posted in the Carc thread, and I will post here too.

Sorry to everyone that had games going with me!!

I kinda just forgot about my iPod Touch for a month, grabbed it maybe 2 times in the last month, so i fudged up a couple Ascension and Carc games, sorry again!

heringer

Bought this last week. It's good. At first I thought there was no actual strategy involved, but then I read a little about it, played some more and know I see there's some depth to it.

Going to buy the expansion later today.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The four games I was playing disappeared. If I was playing with you, sorry. No idea what happened.

You basically have a chess timer that is X hours and if they run out over the course of a game you get auto-booted. This is why people have to make sure to set at least 7 days. :p Sometimes the chess timers are quite low (I presume mistakenly).

eznark

Banned
You basically have a chess timer that is X hours and if they run out over the course of a game you get auto-booted. This is why people have to make sure to set at least 7 days. :p Sometimes the chess timers are quite low (I presume mistakenly).

Yeah, but I'm positive I checked it before that timer ran out. Did someone else run out? I think you were in that game with me.

I feel like it gets screwed up when I try to play a game on both the ipad and iphone for some reason.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, but I'm positive I checked it before that timer ran out. Did someone else run out? I think you were in that game with me.

I feel like it gets screwed up when I try to play a game on both the ipad and iphone for some reason.

Yeah you definitely timed out in one of our games, not sure why. Game is buggier than Carc so wouldn't totally surprise me if switching caused problems.

I sometimes set the timer to ten or thirty minutes if I just am looking for some people to play a quick game, but when I am looking for people to play with all day or over a period of days I set the timer longer.

Ferrio

Banned
Been playing this recently. Still trying to figure out the best way to play. Seems there's more cards to counteract the "Arbiter of the Precipice" which was OP as shit in the original. Still a very very good card if you get it the first turn, but there's other alternatives that are nice. So far I'm not sold on that 8 damage monster. It's a neat mechanic, but it seems by the time you kill the damn thing the game is almost over. Also I've killed him early in the game, then no more monsters came up the rest of the game, making it useless.

Constructs still seem the way to god. I was hoping they'd put in a lot more ways to cause players to discard them.

Electric Brain

Neo Member

Key requirements:

Directions:

Kill monsters

This can be done without the same setup. The main keys are Time's Dawn and Reclamax.

You can simply go for card draw so you go through your whole deck fast enough to get reclamax back. (And obviously making the Time's Dawn a Mechana)

You can do it on Computer, especially Level 1. Just don't take any points until you have the combo cards. A bit of luck is required.

And here's a kicker: you can do it without using the new expansion. How without Reclamax, you say?

You need a deck that can cycle through the centre pile EVERY turn. Why? Because banished cards end up in the banished pile, which eventually gets reshuffled into the center pile.

You need tons of attack and the cards that let you banish cards from the center.

Anyway, I was doing an infinite turn on a computer, but if you quit out and come back in, the game 'crashes' and ends. I was well over 2000, but I think the game ended on just under that when I tried to continue it.

Flunkie

Banned
This is the one GAF iOS game that hasn't had much staying power for me. I thought the expansions would help me get back into it but it's just been a deterrent. :\

Huff

Banned
I had gotten bored with this game and hadn't played for a while.

Just downloaded the new cards and I've fallen back in love with it. Love the new cards. It's probably going to take over all my free time again.

eznark

Banned
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/02/07/qt3-games-podcast-meet-the-man-behind-ascension/

Tom Chick has a great interview with Justin Gary over at QT3.

Justin Gary, the founder of Gary Games and designer of Ascension, talks about his inspiration for the game, some of the changes introduced in the two expansions, and what’s next for fans of this breakout deck-building game and iPhone app. He’s also kind enough to humor Tom Chick’s observations on game balance, the mechana construct nerf in the latest expansion, and interpretive readings of the new card art. Which Mr. Gary doesn’t confirm, but neither does he deny. Victory!

Man it really pisses me off to lose this way.

IMG_1073.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Reposting from the Carc thread -- kj hope it's cool to merge this thread into the megathread too :D

Hey all, it's been a wild couple years. In the light of all the boardgaming action going on on iOS, I made a iOS online boardgaming megathread, so let's continue the discussion there. Also please be sure to add your name to Heel's spreadsheet -- should be sooooo much better both in terms of being always updated and also just to actually get things other than just Carc games going. (Though I love Carc games more than any others :D).

Top Bottom