• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus de-listing Shin Megami Tensei V and all DLC on June 13

Last edited:

kyubajin

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

That's strange, I never heard of a case like this. I wonder if they'll make it possible to "upgrade" the vanilla version to this Vengeance version? If not, I'll just stick with the vanilla - haven't started it yet.

FeralEcho

What a piece of shit publisher! Maybe we should delist them from existing in the industry instead and move all their IPs and studios to a better publisher since garbage practices like this seems like it's become the norm for this publisher.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That's strange, I never heard of a case like this. I wonder if they'll make it possible to "upgrade" the vanilla version to this Vengeance version? If not, I'll just stick with the vanilla - haven't started it yet.
No they won’t. Atlus pioneered this business practice where they sell “DLC” as a separate full priced game that’s incompatible with the original. It started with Persona 3 FES AFAIK

night13x

ehhh nothingburger and standard practices for ATLUS and a lot of other companies. Anyone who wanted to get the DLC for the original ...*COUGH* BETA *COUGH* release would have done so by now. Let's be honest.

The version 1.0 release of SMT 5 called SMT5 V:V (im being sarcastic if anyone is following) is basically the complete edition ATLUS wants people to buy going forward.

Sure they could of left the DLC up bc...hey money. But I think they just want everyone to move on to the new version at this point. And again I dont think leaving the dlc up or removing it would of make any real inpact either way sales wise.

Paltheos

Is 'delisting' meant to be read literally? That is, it's still on the store but inaccessible outside of say and in-game direct link to the content? Because that would be fine.

Everyone seems to be reacting as if it's being removed entirely from storefronts, which would be pretty scummy, yeah.

Cyberpunkd

Is 'delisting' meant to be read literally? That is, it's still on the store but inaccessible outside of say and in-game direct link to the content? Because that would be fine.

Everyone seems to be reacting as if it's being removed entirely from storefronts, which would be pretty scummy, yeah.
Yes, it will be removed and unable to be bought. Only if you own it already prior to delisting you can re-download the game. They want people to pay full price for the new edition, check my Space Marine example, it is exactly the same thing.

Paltheos

Yes, it will be removed and unable to be bought. Only if you own it already prior to delisting you can re-download the game. They want people to pay full price for the new edition, check my Space Marine example, it is exactly the same thing.

Pretty scummy then. I could understand if maybe they didn't want consumers to get confused even with explicit warnings like "you must own SMT5 [base game], not SMT5: Vengeance in order to use this content" because yeah people don't read, but the practice of leaving old content on storefronts has been around since forever and this is Atlus, so I don't really believe their cause in anything financial is philanthropic.

Dazraell

Auto-correct strikes again.

If anyone cares, someone fix the title.
Bruh, you should have said: "To mods, would you kindly fix the title?" lol

Space Marine Complete Edition is the same level of scummy, the base game was available for pennies for years.
Are you referring to Anniversary Edition? I see the price for this is next level bullshit, but wasn't this released as a free upgrade for existing owners? With SMT5V, the issue is that you won't receive Venegance if you own basic SMT5 and have to pay again for a new definitive version. Atlus pulled the same stunt with Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal, and even did the same shit again with next-gen versions of Royal. So there might be some people who bought Persona 5 three times...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I see the price for this is next level bullshit, but wasn't this released as a free upgrade for existing owners?
Doesn't matter, the base game is 13 years old now, it's absolutely unacceptable no matter the additions (and they are mostly cosmetics) to cost like it does.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What's in the DLC? I got the base game on Switch still sealed.
The most interesting ones were bossfights, one of them having multiple bosses and culminating in a super boss.

The rest were some exp bonuses and shit like that.

And all this stuff will be included in the re-edition that's coming out next month.

Fbh

Someday people will learn you don't buy Atlus games at launch.
You wait 2-3 years for the actual complete game.

So just a heads up. In 2-3 years there will be a complete edition of Metaphor with new story, new locations, new characters, new bosses and QoL improvements.
And they will delist the OG version

cireza

Someday people will learn you don't buy Atlus games at launch.
You wait 2-3 years for the actual complete game.

So just a heads up. In 2-3 years there will be a complete edition of Metaphor with new story, new locations, new characters, new bosses and QoL improvements.
And they will delist the OG version
Hum. I disagree. I prefer vanilla Catherine to Full Body. Vanilla Radiant Historia to Prefect Chronology. Vanilla Strange Journey to Redux. Tokyo Mirage on Switch had nothing of interest added to it.

Persona 4 I only played Golden and the game felt bloated. I could guess that a very shitty dungeon was added in the middle of the story. Felt completely out of place.

Only case where I think that the improved versions were fine was for both Etrian Untold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom