• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Murray Says He Will Continue Being in New Ghostbusters Movies "As Long As They're Good." (2:19)

ManaByte

Gold Member
At 2:19 in this video:

He came back for Afterlife, and people who saw Frozen Empire said he REALLY showed up and didn't phone it in.

This is really making it look like him refusing to make Ghostbusters 3 all those years had to do with the falling out he and Ramis had after Groundhog Day and less about his disappointment with Ghostbusters 2. The quality of Ghostbusters 2 was probably just his excuse for not saying it was because he didn't want to be around Ramis anymore.

They reconciled right before Ramis died, so Murray came back for Afterlife with it being a tribute to Ramis.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Then why was he in the last one?
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They should have done it when they were in their time and in the 90s... It's too late and without Egon...

The last movie I saw was in the cinema... But I didn't like the new cast, the only good thing was the final scene with the original ghostbusters.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

Audiophile

Gold Member
I think Bill goes on autopilot in the spotlight, there's someone in there:

And he's the best MC:

Also, I never got the hate for Ghostbusters II; it has a few flaws and the first is the best of course, but it's still great.

As for Afterlife, sure it went heavy on the fan service but I'm fine with that. It was nice and heartfelt.

The new one unfortunately looks a bit bland though.

Let's not talk about 2016...

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I think Bill goes on autopilot in the spotlight, there's someone in there:

And he's the best MC:

Also, I never got the hate for Ghostbusters II; it has a few flaws and the first is the best of course, but it's still great.

As for Afterlife, sure it went heavy on the fan service but I'm fine with that. It was nice and heartfelt.

The new one unfortunately looks a bit bland though.

Let's not talk about 2016...

I am surprised people were against the fanservice in Afterlife. After the constant insults and derision with 2016, fanservice was desperately needed. Especially when it came with a good narrative that wasn't heavy handed, while also still being dumb fun.

Power Pro

I am surprised people were against the fanservice in Afterlife. After the constant insults and derision with 2016, fanservice was desperately needed. Especially when it came with a good narrative that wasn't heavy handed, while also still being dumb fun.
My problem with Afterlife, and I felt this like immediately when the movie was over, was it just wasn't funny, and the story was a rehash of the first one. Also they made some dumb script decisions to make their plot work. Ray and Egon having a falling out in the way they do just makes no sense to me, if anyone would be gung ho, it would've been Ray.

I think the fanservice would've been better if it was done more organically throughout the story, and didn't feel they needed to focus on the family for so much of it. It would've made more sense if they were introduced half-way through the movie or something, rather than just randomly showing up at the end, with proton packs, that Ray said Egon had taken all of.

It has moments, but yeah...it missed the mark, for me and my family. I'm still gonna see the new one, in hopes that it's better.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
My problem with Afterlife, and I felt this like immediately when the movie was over, was it just wasn't funny, and the story was a rehash of the first one. Also they made some dumb script decisions to make their plot work. Ray and Egon having a falling out in the way they do just makes no sense to me, if anyone would be gung ho, it would've been Ray.

I think the fanservice would've been better if it was done more organically throughout the story, and didn't feel they needed to focus on the family for so much of it. It would've made more sense if they were introduced half-way through the movie or something, rather than just randomly showing up at the end, with proton packs, that Ray said Egon had taken all of.

It has moments, but yeah...it missed the mark, for me and my family. I'm still gonna see the new one, in hopes that it's better.

Fair point with the Ray and Egon bits. Can't really agree on the comedic aspect. I laughed hard during all my watches of the film.

Kenpachii

First movie was great.
Second movie was hard to watch to the end.
i watched the reboot wasn't that good, but it wasn't that bad either
the girl ghostbusters was terrible bad

IP is kinda milked to death at this point.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Hottake: I like Ghostbusters II better than I.
I loved GB2 when I was a kid. I had all the collector cards. I still love the movie but as an adult I love the first GB much more now.

I'll have to re-watch Afterlife again; other than being a decent safe movie, it didn't really leave much of an impression with me. Maybe because it wasn't set in the city made the movie feel small and sometimes low-budget. I'll give it another shot.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I also liked Afterlife, there were things I didn't like about it, but overall, I think they made it work. I'll be going to see the new one for sure.

I'd probably say that at this point people who have been underwhelmed by every sequel to the original might need to accept that there never will be a film that they either unreservedly like or that they think measures up to the first film.

Last edited:
I wished they made a proper Ghostbusters 3 in the 90s, along with a 3rd Burton/Keaton Batman, and also a rip roaring rolicking swashbuckling Atlantis Indiana Jones

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wished they made a proper Ghostbusters 3 in the 90s, along with a 3rd Burton/Keaton Batman, and also a rip roaring rolicking swashbuckling Atlantis Indiana Jones
Despite the urban legends on the internet, only SOME of the 90s Ghostbusters 3 script made it into the video game. And the video game isn't even canon now with Afterlife being the third movie and Evo Shandor showing up in it "alive" instead of a ghost like in the game. But some of the stuff from the Hellbent version of GB3 is actually in Frozen Empire although with Ice instead of hell.

wondermega

Hottake: I like Ghostbusters II better than I.
Not to completely go against the whole point of a take, but, what do you mean particularly? I can appreciate that there are people who are not keen on the very 1st movie for whatever reason, but to actually prefer the 2nd one? Only thing I can think of is that if you saw them both many years after they released, and the ramshackle-ness of the first is too much for you..

CGNoire

Not to completely go against the whole point of a take, but, what do you mean particularly? I can appreciate that there are people who are not keen on the very 1st movie for whatever reason, but to actually prefer the 2nd one? Only thing I can think of is that if you saw them both many years after they released, and the ramshackle-ness of the first is too much for you..
I would have to rewatch 1 again to make a specific argument. I just remember how i felt last time i rewatched them both back to back which was 2008.

I like alot about the II and never really undedstood the hate. I will say yhe plasma gun effects are alot better in the OG since they actually took the time to have practical lighting.

TVexperto

First movie was great.
Second movie was hard to watch to the end.
i watched the reboot wasn't that good, but it wasn't that bad either
the girl ghostbusters was terrible bad

IP is kinda milked to death at this point.
girl ghostbusters was the best one yet
so funny and hillarious
i literally bought a pepsi afterwards, also i had the urge to buy a sony after the movie as well not sure why

Ikutachi

Toaster scene.

Top Bottom