• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Entertainment files/renews trademark for "Metal Arms"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On May 12, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. filed a trademark in Europe via the OHIM for "Metal Arms". The below image is from the Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt (German Patent and Trademark Office), though it's available via eSearch Plus as well:

metalarmsdyuub.png

Source(s): https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/012868576, https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/registerhabm?AKZ=012868576

In the US, where they own the trademark for "Metal Arms", filed in 2003 by Sierra Entertainment, they have renewed the trademark (or are requesting such). On May 11, they sent the USPTO a specimen:

Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn78151322&docId=SPE20140512122312#docIndex=1&page=1

They also sent a Combined Declaration of Use and/or Excusable Nonuse/Application for Renewal of Registration of a Mark under Sections 8 & 9 with this statement:

The owner, BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT, INC., a corporation of Delaware, having an address of
16215 ALTON PARKWAY
IRVINE, California 92618
United States
is filing a Combined Declaration of Use and/or Excusable Nonuse/Application for Renewal of Registration of a Mark under Sections 8 & 9.

For International Class 009, this filing does NOT cover the following goods or services for this specific class listed in the registration, and these goods or services are to be permanently deleted from the registration: and instruction manuals sold as a unit therewith

The mark is in use in commerce on or in connection with the following goods or services listed in the existing registration for this specific class; or, the owner is making the listed excusable nonuse claim: Computer game software

The owner is submitting one(or more) specimen(s) showing the mark as used in commerce on or in connection with any item in this class, consisting of a(n) PDF file of a screen capture from a third party website (xbox.com) bearing evidence of the prominent display of the subject mark as it appears in commerce for the listed goods.
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn78151322&docId=S8920140512122312#docIndex=0&page=1

New game in the making or just a re-release? I think it's just a re-release or protection due to the image, and also that it's already in use, but thought it could be noteworthy to mention anyway.

dankir

Man that was such a fun game, really funny too. I don't remember if it was your general or mechanic that swore all the time but man that shit cracked me up.

Mit-

I played this game a couple years ago and did not think it was as good as everyone claims.

I know our shooters are formulaic these days but Metal Arms is a third person shooter with no cover mechanic, and it's one of those games that as long as you're in sight if your enemy they can and will shoot you with pinpoint accuracy, and the game's damage was pretty brutal.

Never would go back to it after beating it.

Blizzard is such an ass-backwards company that releases mediocre games nowadays, they simply either won't revive it or they'll just make a sequel that outright doesn't live up to the standards of the original instead. I cannot see anything good coming from this renewal, as much as I'd like a new Metal Arms.

I played this game a couple years ago and did not think it was as good as everyone claims.

I know our shooters are formulaic these days but Metal Arms is a third person shooter with no cover mechanic, and it's one of those games that as long as you're in sight if your enemy they can and will shoot you with pinpoint accuracy, and the game's damage was pretty brutal.

Never would go back to it after beating it.
You could resort to cover in Metal Arms, without the use of tacky cover mechanics that every common third-person shooter feels compelled to implement post-Gears. The difficulty can be steep though.

Mit-

You could resort to cover in Metal Arms, without the use of tacky cover mechanics that every common third-person shooter feels compelled to implement post-Gears. The difficulty can be steep though.

Cover mechanics give you actual cover and less vulnerability though. All you could do in Metal Arms was stay behind a wall, but as soon as you peered out to shoot at something, you were instantly completely vulnerable and the enemy is a way better shot.

Unless you could lob something.

But man, I just remember frustration. I remember respecting the games cutscenes and production values, but the combat could be maddening.

Top Bottom