• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard EULA screws you.

DUH! If you don't AGREE with their terms and rules, of course access will be denied.
Non issue.

Although some of these requirements are bullshit, it is what it is. An AGREEMENT. Don't agree for whatever reason? Ok, fine. But the gates will close for you.

It's the same with CoD or any other online game. ToS get updated regularly and if you don't agree with the new terms, don't expect access.

Simple.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

DUH! If you don't AGREE with their terms and rules, of course access will be denied.
Non issue.

Although some of these requirements are bullshit, it is what it is. An AGREEMENT. Don't agree for whatever reason? Ok, fine. But the gates will close for you.

It's the same with CoD or any other online game. ToS get updated regularly and if you don't agree with the new terms, don't expect access.

Simple.
asks mr bean GIF

calistan

Can they also attach your mouth on to another individual's anus if you agree?
One thing they like to do, in the US at least, is impose forced arbitration as an addition to the user agreement. So if something happens that might once have exposed them to a very expensive class action lawsuit, it will never get to court because all users have agreed to have their cases heard individually by a single arbitrator.

Mithos

So you can't remove payment info or cancel subscriptions you may have saved/active on your account if you DO NOT accept the new EULA, because to login you must accept it...

STUPID

Last edited:
We now own nothing, including the games we buy.
For all purposes, we are just getting a long term rental.
This is already since the beginning of video games. I remember the manuals of cd rom games included a page saying you’re only paying for a license to use the product indefinitely until evil corp changes its mind, and maybe it was already during the floppy time era too but I just played games back then without reading manuals 🤣.

Difference from then vs now is that they can disable any license remotely, because internet. And this was something impossible to do before, hence the advancement of technology created some real evil here.

Last edited:
So you can't remove payment info or cancel subscriptions you may have saved/active on your account if you DO NOT accept the new EULA, because to login you must accept it...

STUPID
I’m sure you’ll be able to unsubscribe via email in that case, but yes it’s completely stupid and mental garbage.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Idk why this is even a thread. I mean you could pick any company and not just blizzard lol.

Maybe it could be a discussion about EULA in general being pretty anti consumer?

AJUMP23

This has always been the case, a EULA is lawyers doing everything they can do to cover all contingencies with the game. Removing the users rights is the whole purpose.

Cyberpunkd

I never really knew that so that's good to know.
This is why we get at least 10 EULAs threads each year, every single one not understanding that just because a company put something into the contract doesn't make it legal. That goes for all possible contracts, plenty of them have abusive clauses. Companies were fined millions by market regulators for doing just that (banks especially like to put all sort of illegal shit in).

Why on earth would you think just because a company has written something in the User Agreement makes it a law?

Imagine if other major parts of culture were handled this way. Being forced to agree to some crippling EULA to listen to a concert or a music CD, watch a movie, or read a book. If you don’t, tough luck, you don’t get to do it.

Imagine not being able to read most books because you don’t create some proprietary online account. Why do we allow video games to commit this egregious abuse?

Imagine if other major parts of culture were handled this way. Being forced to agree to some crippling EULA to listen to a concert or a music CD, watch a movie, or read a book. If you don’t, tough luck, you don’t get to do it.

Imagine not being able to read most books because you don’t create some proprietary online account. Why do we allow video games to commit this egregious abuse?
To play devil's advocate; you don't need music, movies, or games to fundamentally live a life. Might be boring, but you don't need those things. And there are plenty of examples of agreements between performers/media(s) that must be abided or you risk being kicked out. Chappelle has had many shows where he just plain won't allow people to be on their cell phones while he's on stage. People agree to it because they want to watch him perform.
-----------

I get the general sentiment though, most digital entities have some fine-print bullshit that is very anti-consumer and there's not much you can do about it if you want to experience the product. If it's especially egregious maybe a lawsuit will promulgate change, but it typically doesn't happen because most people will just either not use the product or not care enough to fight it.

Laptop1991

Louis is right though about those smaller steps leading to much bigger ones, i follow him on youtube already, as for me i haven't used my battlenet account in years, i own Starcraft 2 on there from about 10 years ago, i guess i won't play that again then lol, i'm not bothered, i won't use or buy another game off Blizzard anyway. it's wrong simple as that imo.

Last edited:

Hudo

Why on earth would you think just because a company has written something in the User Agreement makes it a law?
As naive as I am, I would think that the legal departments of these corporations would make sure that this shit holds firm against the law.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

This isn't anything new is it? I don't like Active Lawsuit Entertainment at all, but I'm pretty sure many other companies have similar shit going on I "accepted" because I did not feel like reading all that unnecessarily complex English.
If we truly want to make a change, stop buying their shit. Unfortunately, there's just too many people who don't care enough and still buy their shit.

AJUMP23

Even when we bought physical games, we still technically did not own them. The agreement was a license to play the software. not ownership.

AJUMP23

That's what any supplier wants you to believe, yes.

In real terms, no.

That is what there license says when you purchase. But you do have ownership that allows you to dump the files and create backups despite what they want you to believe.

I think music went through a similar thing where they wanted you to think you could only listen to a song on the particular medium you purchased it.

Last edited:

calistan

The problem with that is if you decide you don't agree, the company will take away your access. And if you think "hey, that's against the law" then you'll need to fight in court against an opponent with far greater resources than you.

Which is why class action lawsuits exist, and because of class actions, companies would prefer that you agree to arbitration before they'll let you use their services.

Tesla did one recently, where some customers tried to put together a class action because of the company's lies about their cars' range, but the case was instantly dismissed because all of those customers agreed to arbitration when they bought the vehicle.

Cyberpunkd

The problem with that is if you decide you don't agree, the company will take away your access. And if you think "hey, that's against the law" then you'll need to fight in court against an opponent with far greater resources than you.

Which is why class action lawsuits exist, and because of class actions, companies would prefer that you agree to arbitration before they'll let you use their services.

Tesla did one recently, where some customers tried to put together a class action because of the company's lies about their cars' range, but the case was instantly dismissed because all of those customers agreed to arbitration when they bought the vehicle.
This is greatly dependent on the jurisdiction e.g. in the EU the court is much less likely to have a company mandate arbitration. This is also where legal proceedings are not cost prohibitive for regular citizens.

Cyberpunkd

As naive as I am, I would think that the legal departments of these corporations would make sure that this shit holds firm against the law.
There is very little negative effect if it does not (in fact it's less in the EU, since the concept of punitive damages is very uncommon here), therefore lawyers will push illegal clauses knowing very well the chance of them being challenged is extremely low.

Ev1L AuRoN

That give them the power to ban you for BS, like if people want to screw you and report you enough, you can be banned even though you did nothing wrong. I was banned from Cold War because of BS like that, lose my account and progress and since my games were on that shitty blizzard app I lost all cod games, not just the one I was banned.

Top Bottom