• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Level Design Was Impacted by the PlayStation 4 Hardware Limitations, New Video Details

Interestingly enough, the changes to progression made in this area in Bloodborne's final version were essentially dictated by the PlayStation 4 hardware limitations, as the fast traversal through the hallway into Oedon Chapel didn't allow the console to load assets properly, resulting in performance issues, visual glitches, and very slow loading. As such, progression towards Oedon Chapel was slowed down with the introduction of the Underground Library just two months before the final build was submitted. In one of its iterations, the location also featured additional messages that revealed new information on the game's lore.

Very interested analysis. Lance McDonald 's work goes really deep.

Imagine that Miyazaki harnesses the ssd speed in current hardware, and pull off a boss battle where the set pieces flash from lava to glacier to cloudy to cosmos, how dope would that be.

sendit

Very interested analysis. Lance McDonald 's work goes really deep.

Imagine that Miyazaki harnesses the ssd speed in current hardware, and pull off a boss battle where the set pieces flash from lava to glacier to cloudy to cosmos, how dope would that be.

brhdqAx.jpg

FunkMiller

More accurate title:

'YouTuber comes up with theory that Bloodborne level design may have been influenced by hardware limitations.'

Everything is written and warped by the need to farm clicks.

Rickyiez

You're telling me the Greatest game of All Time can get better with better hardware?

But but but... How about the diminishing return? Or Moore Law is dead that this forum had been telling me?

Well, duh. People have been designing games around console hardware limitations for as long as there have been consoles.
I mean, technology in general has always been a battle of design against limitations. id Software largely exists because they had to overcome the limitations of PC screen scrolling.

As already stated, limitations foster creativity.

Regginator

Fascinating stuff. It's extraordinary how something as a literal load chamber can be added in such a (seemingly effortlessly) natural way that you can't see it as anything else than just having always existed in the world.

I wonder if not being able to travel between lamps was a deliberate design choice or somehow also related to hardware limitations. Although I can't see how, because a year later they did implement such a thing in DS3 (in fact, DS1 post-Lordvessel and DS2 had it too).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I kindly disagree. The remake had excellent art design, better than the original
Agree to disagree. 🫂

Cool thing is that there are options for everyone. Would be nice to get both a port and a remake for Bloodborne lol.

hyperbertha

This is an example of why not all things are scalable. People say series s doesn't affect game design just scale back the graphics. It's not all about the graphics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, it is known. Cerny said he toured studios in 2016-2017 and the biggest complaint was HDD which is directly tied to streaming.

A LOT of games suffered from this. All those slow climbing and narrow corridors sections were directly a result of the HDD bottleneck.

Try playing GOW in 2024. The retarded realm between realm is a direct response to the slow streaming speeds of the PS4. you could go a minute or two before it loaded another area. The PS5 version of GOW Ragnorak actually loads faster but because the base PS4 needed dialogue added in to keep players engaged, the PS5 owners had to wait for the dialogue to finish before having the portal appear. I only noticed it after around 80 hours when i had gone through all the dialogue and it started loading really fast like in 10 seconds. Sometimes less. So in that sense, the PS4 was holding back even the PS5 version of the game.

Horizon's poor flying speeds and pop-in during flying is tied directly to the streaming speeds.

The constant canyons between patrol zones in destiny were also added as a loading screen.

All those big open worlds with empty areas are also added as a buffer for you to go through areas with minimal CPU usage so the next area can load. Its the main reason why the worlds are simply not dense anymore and feel bloated as fuck.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pretty impressive.
They pulled out a ton more geometry compared to dark souls on previous gen.

Top Bottom